New or interesting products for 2012

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Have you come across any new and/or interesting products for 2012 that you think may be of interest to fellow forumers (please no one mention the Marantz PM6004! ;))

I'll start the ball rolling ... I recently stumbled upon the Wyred4Sound website where they are looking to introduce a tiny 100W per channel Class D amplifier with built in DAC and analogue inputs (no phono though). Given that the company has a very good reputation for DACs, this looks like it could give similar type products like the Bel Canto C5i a run for their money. The price looks "reasonable" when quoted in US dollars. They also have a picture of a matching media server but not much other info about it. And then there's a little 3.5" square uDAC which looks cute and for which they claim will have very good performance for the size.

PS I'm still waiting to hear something more about the Brunoco Diva that WHF tentatively mentioned in a news article a few months back. Why does it take so long for certain products to get to market?

matthewpiano

Not sure what 2012 holds really. I think we'll see the choice of CD players diminish gradually and I'm sure there will be plenty of new streaming products and DACs to take their place.

For me, I'm mostly viewing 2012 as a year off the hi-fi. There are a couple of Rega bits to come in the next few weeks but, after that, there are other more pressing drains on my relatively limited financial resources. I want 2012 to be a year of music rather than hi-fi.

T

the record spot

The most interesting product of 2011 - Onkyo's TX-8050 networked stereo receiver - looks set to become the most interesting product of 2012 thanks to the firmware upgrade that'll add Spotify functionality to its roster. That's the budget stuff covered off.

Higher end-wise, the forthcoming AVI ADM40 active floorstander looks like it's going to be a winner.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Yet more streamers/network players - SimpleAudio and Wyred4Sound. The latter includes hard disk storage and CD ripper a la Olive. Looks like 2012 will be awash with similar products. Time to schedule a WHF group test.

simple-side-on3.jpg

Paul.

tino said:
Paul Hobbs said:
Canon 5D Mk III

Nice, but does it play MP3s ;)

Are film SLRs obsolete or are they equivalent of a turntable in the photographic world?

On a photography forum the debate would be as furious as a HDMI debate :)

I believe digital has film soundly beat in resolution, low light performance and obviously workflow. Images are much cleaner and is capable of sharper images as the position of the film plane fluctuates.

(Some) Film does still have digital beat in terms of dynamic range, but it won't be long untill that has been taken. Film does have an undeniable aesthetic as a result of this, so much like vinyl it will always stick around.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
Pathos Musiteca will finally hit the shelves. a worthy alternative for Meridian Sooloos, but also Naim or Linn streamers.

Its priced at almost 6k GBP...

About the price of some fancy cables :grin:

None of the Pathos stuff is cheap, but it looks and will probably sound fab.

Strange company Pathos ... do they build to order or something ... they seem to announce their products about two years before you can actually buy one. I like the Ethos, but have only ever read one review. And as for the Inpol Remix ... only ever seen artistic impressions of the thing (which looks stunning by the way) on the internet.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
And as for the Inpol Remix ... only ever seen artistic impressions of the thing (which looks stunning by the way) on the internet.

this one is more real than you think :). just type in "Pathos Inpol Remix" in search engine and choose pics. there should be some pictures from hi-fi shows available. enough to convince that this product is already developed. and it seems it comes in variety of finishes too. although I think that the 'standard' zebrano looks best anyway.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
tino said:
And as for the Inpol Remix ... only ever seen artistic impressions of the thing (which looks stunning by the way) on the internet.

this one is more real than you think :). just type in "Pathos Inpol Remix" in search engine and choose pics. there should be some pictures from hi-fi shows available. enough to convince that this product is already developed. and it seems it comes in variety of finishes too. although I think that the 'standard' zebrano looks best anyway.

Can you give me 6 numbers for the lottery as well ... ;) ? I might need a lottery win to be able to get one. I found this link with real photos of Ethos, Musiteca and Remix.

http://www.component.se/forum/index.php?showtopic=12413

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
oldric_naubhoff said:
tino said:

Can you give me 6 numbers for the lottery as well ... ;) ? I might need a lottery win to be able to get one. I found this link with real photos of Ethos, Musiteca and Remix.

http://www.component.se/forum/index.php?showtopic=12413

Maybe better job? :)

It looks fantastic but for 6k eur you get 10W pure class A zero feedback...I must hear these amps before I make any decision. Need to plan a trip to my home country and demo some of those nice objects... :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
oldric_naubhoff said:

Cheeky :p ;)

I can afford it but I'm waiting for acalex to demo one first ;)

PS acalex ... add a GRAAF GM50 to your demo list ... it's Italian as well and rather good I hear.

Apologies, didnt mean you could not ;)

My demo list is already quite big...need to start crossing something off the list. I want to resolve this issue of tube amps asap so at least I can focus on pure class A ones if I don't like.

Interesting times ahead anyway... :cheers:

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
acalex said:
My demo list is already quite big...need to start crossing something off the list. I want to resolve this issue of tube amps asap so at least I can focus on pure class A ones if I don't like.

Interesting times ahead anyway... :cheers:

Be patriotic and buy Italian, or failing that, British. ;)

Divertiti!! :rockout:

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
tino said:
oldric_naubhoff said:

Cheeky :p ;)

I can afford it but I'm waiting for acalex to demo one first ;)

PS acalex ... add a GRAAF GM50 to your demo list ... it's Italian as well and rather good I hear.

first of all; those weren't my words :)

second of all; I heard (from one user of Graaf GM50) that Graaf went out of business - R.I.P. :p (I hope this is not true. you don't get too many OTL valve amps manufacturers these days. users of Graaf are usually fond of their machines so obviously they were doing a good job).

however, I know where you can buy a GM50 in black for mere GBP 2350. I'd go for it myself if I wasn't already sold on Pathos. Inpol2 is my target for now. and I really think it's going to be my last amp (until it brakes down completely :)).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts