Good looking new products

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I love the manifold speakers I real engineering statement. The Linn speaker look sensational, speakers as they should look, but with sparkle, as I think Vlad said we buy Hifi with our eyes.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
Vladimir said:
matt49 said:
Vladimir said:
matt49 said:
Vladimir said:
Do you guys prefer speakers looking like furniture or looking like art, in money-no-object situation?

Good design is always a good thing, but for me form should also follow function, even if money is no object. Which is why I'm not entirely sold on the butterflies. YMMV.

How can you tell their structure serves no function and are simply mimicking butterflies?

I didn't say that. The structure may serve some function, but I find it hard to believe that the function really dictates that exact butterfly shape. I'd prefer a more abstract design, something that didn't remind me of effing butterflies.

What does the Vivid Audio port hole remind you of?

Nothing in particular. It isn't representational.

EDIT: I did first post a rude answer.

It reminds me of the Catholic University in Leuven, Belgium.

safe_image.php

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:
matt49 said:
Vladimir said:
matt49 said:
Vladimir said:
matt49 said:
Vladimir said:
Do you guys prefer speakers looking like furniture or looking like art, in money-no-object situation?

Good design is always a good thing, but for me form should also follow function, even if money is no object. Which is why I'm not entirely sold on the butterflies. YMMV.

How can you tell their structure serves no function and are simply mimicking butterflies?

I didn't say that. The structure may serve some function, but I find it hard to believe that the function really dictates that exact butterfly shape. I'd prefer a more abstract design, something that didn't remind me of effing butterflies.

What does the Vivid Audio port hole remind you of?

Nothing in particular. It isn't representational.

EDIT: I did first post a rude answer.

It reminds me of the Catholic University in Leuven, Belgium.

*i-m_so_happy* Ha, nice one, Vlad! How do you know my Alma Mater? Spent some time here? Or is it internet knowledge?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a friend that worked in Leuven as a babysiter and brought me a CD with male church choir chants. There was a symbol on the booklet of something resembling a vagina, or an upright ellipse if you prefer. What it actually represents is the shape of a river island on which this monastery and University was located on in the 15th century. I think this was the case, can't remember exactly all the details.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
This evening I heard these at a friend's house: Diapason Adamantes III. Very nice.

I'm glad you got to hear some Diapasons....how would you describe their sound signature and what system were they in?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
This evening I heard these at a friend's house: Diapason Adamantes III. Very nice.

I'm glad you got to hear some Diapasons....how would you describe their sound signature and what system were they in?

Hi Cno, I've heard these too - with my Unison Research S8. They look stunning and IMO sound best with classical and acoustic music. I found though, that they didn't 'Rock'. Although my dealer said that back in the day he sold lots of them paired with an S8. Smooth and sonorous, with the right material they are very impressive.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:

Hi Cno, I've heard these too - with my Unison Research S8. They look stunning and IMO sound best with classical and acoustic music. I found though, that they didn't 'Rock'. Although my dealer said that back in the day he sold lots of them paired with an S8. Smooth and sonorous, with the right material they are very impressive.

From my audition (with the Devialet and a CEC CD-transport), I remember a gorgeous, palpable midrange (voices! saxophone!). They needed a lot of room around them though, as not to sound boomy. And even then, the bass was less than great.

Which might fit with Infiniteloop's conclusion: good for classical, not so for pop/rock. And they do look marvelous indeed, oh yeah, especially with their dedicated stands!

TRENDING THREADS