New needle for AKG P8 E or new cartridge?

zightx

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I have a Thorens TD 104 with an AKG P8 E and a broken needle. Instead of buying a new needle for this pickup I first brought a new cartridge, an Audio Technica AT 95 E. Since I've installed the new cartridge I get a rumble problem when I turn up the volume loud, I've pretty much tried everything to reduce rumble but it seems to be a bad match between pickup and tonearm (Thorens TP-22). I've looked into this and the AT95E seems to have way to low compliance to work with the light weight tonearm.

I don't know if the AKG P8 E pickup works but I've got no information from the previous owner telling me it was broken. It was a long time since he last used it, so it probably worked when he last used it. I've tried to search for info about the AKG P8 E cartridge and a lot of them seems to go bad after a while, after all they're are all pretty old now.

My choices now are either to buy a new pirate needle for the AKG P8 E and hope that it works or a buy a new better matched cartridge, for example Ortofon OM-10 (high compliance, right?) which seems to fit the light weight tonearm of my Thorens better. What would you do?

Thunderbox

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
I too found an AKG P8E cartridge and I bought a replacement stylus from a supplier in Holland. It was not expensive. around $60. I installed the new stylus and it is awsum. I like it better than both my Shure V15 Type IV and my Empire 2000Z. Just check with an ohm meter to make sure both channels on the cartridge have continuity. Then buy a new stylus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts