New cartridge advice

Seems like the Clearaudio stylus has given up. I've made sure all the arm weight and anti-skating is fine. Now on the search for a replacement cartridge. I've narrowed it down to the following three:

Goldring 1042
Ortofon Bronze
Nag MP110.

Which ones would be your preference?

Cheers

Seems like the Clearaudio stylus has given up. I've made sure all the arm weight and anti-skating is fine. Now on the search for a replacement cartridge. I've narrowed it down to the following three:

Goldring 1042
Ortofon Bronze
Nag MP110.

Cheers
The 1042 for me...
Question: why the MP110 and not the price equivalent MP150?
Because that would have made my choice harder...
It's only £150 and the others more like £350

TBH, wasn't aware there was a MP150. I'll investigate further.

Ta.
I think you should as I would put it on a par with the Goldring.... The replacement stylus will be cheaper as well.... :cool:
Apologies if I made your decision harder.
That said I might still choose the 1042 as, like the Denon DL103, it's a brilliant all-round classic and has been for years.
Ignore the Denon though as I was just using that as an example of a cartridge that has remained in production for ages....for a good reason.

Oxfordian

Goldring 1042
Ortofon Bronze
Nag MP110.

Cheers
I spent a very enjoyable morning listening to a Ortofon 2M Black and Goldring 1042 yesterday, I was shocked at the differences between my Elys and the other cartridges, so much improvement. The 2M Black was the cleaner sound, but it left me cold in its portrayal of the music, the 1042 however was far more musical in its presentation, it had me smiling and tapping my feet as I listened.

It is the Goldring that is sat on the end of my tone arm now and i am looking forward to many hours of enjoyable listening.

Thanks to @Al ears for the initial suggestion of the 1042.

record_spot

Used to have the 1012GX years ago and was very impressed with it. These days I prefer a little more clarity and I'm not sure that's the range's strongpoint (but I'm going back 30 years to a different system). I do hear very good things of the Nagaoka range and the MP350 might be nearer the 1042. To be honest, I'd be having a close look at the AT-VM95ML which is underpriced by AT given its performance. Had one for a while a few years ago and was deeply impressed by it. Reminded me very much of the former AT440-MLa from the mid-2000s.

Of your list, the 1042 but for similar money you can get the Benz Micro Gold and if you like clarity and a big presentation without losing out on the finer points of an album, the £300-odd will get you that and a nice entry into MC carts.

Reactions: plastic penguin
I spent a very enjoyable morning listening to a Ortofon 2M Black and Goldring 1042 yesterday, I was shocked at the differences between my Elys and the other cartridges, so much improvement. The 2M Black was the cleaner sound, but it left me cold in its portrayal of the music, the 1042 however was far more musical in its presentation, it had me smiling and tapping my feet as I listened.

It is the Goldring that is sat on the end of my tone arm now and i am looking forward to many hours of enjoyable listening.

Thanks to @Al ears for the initial suggestion of the 1042.
no problem, glad to see you heard what I did.
Must say I haven't yet heard the 2M Black

Reactions: Oxfordian
I think you should as I would put it on a par with the Goldring.... The replacement stylus will be cheaper as well.... :cool:
Apologies if I made your decision harder.
That said I might still choose the 1042 as, like the Denon DL103, it's a brilliant all-round classic and has been for years.
Ignore the Denon though as I was just using that as an example of a cartridge that has remained in production for ages....for a good reason.
Pleased you made it harder, I do like a good challenge. What do they say about the chase?

Reactions: Al ears
Used to have the 1012GX years ago and was very impressed with it. These days I prefer a little more clarity and I'm not sure that's the range's strongpoint (but I'm going back 30 years to a different system). I do hear very good things of the Nagaoka range and the MP350 might be nearer the 1042. To be honest, I'd be having a close look at the AT-VM95ML which is underpriced by AT given its performance. Had one for a while a few years ago and was deeply impressed by it. Reminded me very much of the former AT440-MLa from the mid-2000s.

Of your list, the 1042 but for similar money you can get the Benz Micro Gold and if you like clarity and a big presentation without losing out on the finer points of an album, the £300-odd will get you that and a nice entry into MC carts.
I take it that's a typo regarding the Nagaoka MP350.
Haven't heard the Benz Micro Gold but it has the usual issues with MC cartridges, those being low output and non replaceable stylus.

record_spot

I take it that's a typo regarding the Nagaoka MP350.
Haven't heard the Benz Micro Gold but it has the usual issues with MC cartridges, those being low output and non replaceable stylus.

1. It's a typo on two fronts as it happens - wrong price being one and it should've been the MP200 for another!

2. The BM Gold's got a nice open and clear sound to it. I spin vinyl, but not so much as I'd run it out of life in two or three years. I'll get another cart in a year or two but lifespan I've no issues with.

1. It's a typo on two fronts as it happens - wrong price being one and it should've been the MP200 for another!

2. The BM Gold's got a nice open and clear sound to it. I spin vinyl, but not so much as I'd run it out of life in two or three years. I'll get another cart in a year or two but lifespan I've no issues with.
Roger that, thought I had never heard of a 350.
The MP 200 is a bit outside the OPs budget I think looking at his list.

Reactions: record_spot

record_spot

Roger that, thought I had never heard of a 350.
The MP 200 is a bit outside the OPs budget I think looking vat his list.

Well, the 1042GX clocks in at £365 or thereabouts, so the 200's above that budget right enough, but the Nagaoka MP200 is a smidgen above at £449, so £80 or so more, but might be worth a look. Everything's relative in terms of budget thresholds admittedly!

Well, the 1042GX clocks in at £365 or thereabouts, so the 200's above that budget right enough, but the Nagaoka MP200 is a smidgen above at £449, so £80 or so more, but might be worth a look. Everything's relative in terms of budget thresholds admittedly!
I would agree, though their price rises years ago put then outside the bargains they used to be.
My money is still on the 1042

Reactions: record_spot

Oxfordian

Think I'll settle for the Goldring. Like the Dali speakers I just keep thinking about the Goldring, even more since knackering the stylus on the 2500.
Enjoying what I’m getting from my 1042, definitely an improvement over the Elys.

I presume that the cartridge has to bed in with a good few hours of use so hoping for steady improvement in sound in the weeks and months ahead.

camcroft

I think I'll take my turntable into a dealers as I don't feel confident enough or do I have the right tools to change cartridges.
Thats one of the problems with fixed head shells my Rega arm is the same. I am in the process of looking for a 2nd turntable with a detachable head shell so that I will be able to swap cartridges around with ease. the 2nd turntable will just be to use with other equipment that I have. I love my main turntable to bits.

Thats one of the problems with fixed head shells my Rega arm is the same. I am in the process of looking for a 2nd turntable with a detachable head shell so that I will be able to swap cartridges around with ease. the 2nd turntable will just be to use with other equipment that I have. I love my main turntable to bits.
Yes, if I had a Technics it would probably be a different matter, as I think they have a head shell that's removable.

What's your main turntable?

TRENDING THREADS