What cartridge?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Certainly no more than £250

*Edit* sorry, I was going by the prices a couple of years ago. I suppose, with a heavy heart, add another £100 on the above price. Anything below £350 is preferable.
Indeed cartridge prices have shot up over the years which makes my usual recommendation of Nagaoka pretty much out of the question these days. They had a huge price hike a few years ago .
The new range of cartridges from MOFI are getting good reviews, and MOFI know a thing or two about vinyl playback.
The Goldring 1042 is highly recommended if you can find one for a decent price.
The Audio Technica AT740ML is pretty decent and cheaper than Goldring

Reactions: nopiano
Indeed cartridge prices have shot up over the years which makes my usual recommendation of Nagaoka pretty much out of the question these days. They had a huge price hike a few years ago .
The new range of cartridges from MOFI are getting good reviews, and MOFI know a thing or two about vinyl playback.
The Goldring 1042 is highly recommended if you can find one for a decent price.
The Audio Technica AT740ML is pretty decent and cheaper than Goldring
What hasn't shot up in price?

Always liked Goldring, going back to the late 70s/early 80s when I had the G800 on my Garrard. They seem to be consistently good for the money.

Reactions: Al ears
The 3 carts in the running is another Clearaudio, Goldring 1042 and Nagaoka MP-110, although not sure how much of an upgrade, if any, the Nag is.
I’m afraid I’d not rate it alongside the other two. Smooth and pleasant, but forgettable is roughly my take.

You had the Goldring 2500 which is more like the Nag MP-500 - and that is about double your budget now!

Last edited:
I’m afraid I’d not rate it alongside the other two. Smooth and pleasant, but forgettable is roughly my take.

You had the Goldring 2500 which is more like the Nag MP-500 - and that is about double your budget now!
Yep, the 2500 is more than I can afford, the Nag MP-200 looks enticing but around £400-odd that sits uncomfortable for me.

I have to be realistic, it's more about VFM.

Think I mentioned it before, the VM740ML if budget stretches that far.
Al, I noticed on your sig you have a Benz cart. I've seen cheaper ones in the similar price bracket as the Goldring and other MM carts. Any views at all?

Al, I noticed on your sig you have a Benz cart. I've seen cheaper ones in the similar price bracket as the Goldring and other MM carts. Any views at all?

Plenty.
MCs have their place but I wouldn't buy one unless you can afford a low output version and this means, normally, buying an external phono preamp as well. The one you show is low output.
The issue with high output MCs is they aren't particularly good when compared to similar priced MMs and you cannot simply buy a replacement stylus if accidents happen you have to buy a whole new cartridge.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Plenty.
MCs have their place but I wouldn't buy one unless you can afford a low output version and this means, normally, buying an external phono preamp as well. The one you show is low output.
The issue with high output MCs is they aren't particularly good when compared to similar priced MMs and you cannot simply buy a replacement stylus if accidents happen you have to buy a whole new cartridge.
Okay. Understood.

My amp has a switchable built-in stage, not sure if that's good enough. For MMs it's very good but never tried it with an MC.
Yep, noted. You would have to find out what sort of moving coil it can handle, most can only accept high output type.
You may find it can handle a low output MC but most amps cannot.
That said, even if it can, you still have to accept if you damage the cantilever or the stylus eventually wears out you will have to buy a whole new cartridge.

Yep, noted. You would have to find out what sort of moving coil it can handle, most can only accept high output type.
You may find it can handle a low output MC but most amps cannot.
That said, even if it can, you still have to accept if you damage the cantilever or the stylus eventually wears out you will have to buy a whole new cartridge.
Makes you wonder why they fitted a switchable stage. They are not the sort of company that adds something just for the sake of it, and a switchable stage of a amp of that price was (and still is) quite rare.

I've noted your suggestions. It will be a MM but just dipping my toe in the possible options.

Thanks.

Makes you wonder why they fitted a switchable stage. They are not the sort of company that adds something just for the sake of it, and a switchable stage of a amp of that price was (and still is) quite rare.

I've noted your suggestions. It will be a MM but just dipping my toe in the possible options.

Thanks.
The Leema might very well be able to cope with low output moving coils but you'd have to check.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts