New Amp & Turntable

Cdavies

Feb 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi Peeps.
I have a Rega 3 with the Ania MC so I have a MC Fono -its the REGA Mk3 Version
I have the Marantz PM7000N Amp - Bought this so I could stream but don't bother .
DALI Oberon 5 - Happy with these Speakers.
All I listen to these days is Vinyl .

I keep pondering an Upgrade to the RP8 and Pondering the REGA Elex R Mk4 or the Arcam A15

Any ideas? I'm wondering if I need a better Phono Stage and if an Amp upgrade would make that much difference.

Hi Peeps.
I have a Rega 3 with the Ania MC so I have a MC Fono -its the REGA Mk3 Version
I have the Marantz PM7000N Amp - Bought this so I could stream but don't bother .
DALI Oberon 5 - Happy with these Speakers.
All I listen to these days is Vinyl .

I keep pondering an Upgrade to the RP8 and Pondering the REGA Elex R Mk4 or the Arcam A15

Any ideas? I'm wondering if I need a better Phono Stage and if an Amp upgrade would make that much difference.
Assuming you are keeping the same cartridge your current phono preamp should be sufficient.
Try to get to a dealer and audition before spending that kind of money.
Also, if you don't need an amplifier with an inbuilt phono stage and a DAC there seems little point in paying for them.
If you do go with the Elex R I would sell on your cartridge and phono preamp and buy a really good MM cartridge then use the inbuilt phono stage of the Elex R.

Last edited:

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi, your system is well balanced. Your combination of Planar3 with Ania MC and phono pre mc mk3 from Rega is very good. Marantz is fine, also in combination with Dali Oberon 5, which are good combination with your Marantz. Changing turntable to Rega RP 8 or new P8 is big ugrade, to use it fully you need Rega Apheta 2 or 3 or Benz Glyder SL or e.g. Lyra Delos (my choice, Lyra is more coherent has more slam than Apheta), Glyders I have used some 15 years before Lyra. Than you need better phono like Rega Aria or similar. As for amp, here you may choose something from Exposure like 3510 or Rega Elicit mk5, here Exposure is more universal but also more expensive. Amp like Arcam A15 is not on the level like Elicit or Exposure. And than you need better speakers, at least something like Q Acoustics 5040 or 5050 depending on your room size or ... lot of good speaker choices. Means this will be a fully upgraded system. Think twice at least if you are ready for such take off.

Reactions: DougK1

Cdavies

Feb 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi, your system is well balanced. Your combination of Planar3 with Ania MC and phono pre mc mk3 from Rega is very good. Marantz is fine, also in combination with Dali Oberon 5, which are good combination with your Marantz. Changing turntable to Rega RP 8 or new P8 is big ugrade, to use it fully you need Rega Apheta 2 or 3 or Benz Glyder SL or e.g. Lyra Delos (my choice, Lyra is more coherent has more slam than Apheta), Glyders I have used some 15 years before Lyra. Than you need better phono like Rega Aria or similar. As for amp, here you may choose something from Exposure like 3510 or Rega Elicit mk5, here Exposure is more universal but also more expensive. Amp like Arcam A15 is not on the level like Elicit or Exposure. And than you need better speakers, at least something like Q Acoustics 5040 or 5050 depending on your room size or ... lot of good speaker choices. Means this will be a fully upgraded system. Think twice at least if you are ready for such take off.
That's a great reply. I know what you mean, upgrade the tt then you're down a hole! My rega 3 gets a lot of use. I worry about stylus wear given I don't really want to shell out 700 quid for a new cart. If I was to do that I may as well upgrade the tt at the same time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts