New HiFi + Turntable setup for Apartment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

PBrowne

May 27, 2023
Visit site
Oh boy, I'm sorry to hear that. It looks like a nice place though. Anyway, we're all probably jealous that you live in Perth!
Obviously it's your money... enjoy it!
Perhaps go for the high end TT and amp and some good small speakers first (like other have said, get a 'feel' for the place). You could always exchange the speakers at a later date at the hi-fi store.
With a pair (or two) of good headphones you could relax in a nice armchair looking over the city with an adult beverage and cut out all that city noise around you?
Or perhaps some KEF LS50 II's with matching stands... that would give you streaming options too (perhaps you have no need for that)? And perhaps even add the matching sub in the future.
What kind of music are you into?

Variety of music, jazz, classical, pop/rock. Bob Dylan is a favourite, Pink Floyd, Amy Whitehouse, 60s...eclectic.

I will add streaming.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Good idea!
Unless you have the facility of a dedicated listening room then every room is a compromise. The trick is to find speakers which work well with with your room without having to resort to major room treatment, it's a lounge so it has to fit your daily needs.

Only suggested the armchair as the listening position because we're told having a back wall so close to listening position can be detrimental, as in the case of where the settee is situated. The armchair has free space behind it so speakers would be firing into free space. Having said that my listening position is hard up against a back wall so my room is definitely a compromise, but needs must.

Get the speakers right and you may be surprised at how good a compromise can sound. There's front-ported, rear-ported, both, sealed box, etc. I ended up with a sealed box design and am very happy with the sound. Ported speakers just introduced a horrid bass-boom in my room due to placement issues, but I wasn't prepared to let a hi-fi dictate the layout of my room, it's a lounge not a dedicated listening room :)

Take your time, home loans are the best way to determine what works and what doesn't.

Reactions: PBrowne

PBrowne

May 27, 2023
Visit site
Unless you have the facility of a dedicated listening room then every room is a compromise. The trick is to find speakers which work well with with your room without having to resort to major room treatment, it's a lounge so it has to fit your daily needs.

Only suggested the armchair as the listening position because we're told having a back wall so close to listening position can be detrimental, as in the case of where the settee is situated. The armchair has free space behind it so speakers would be firing into free space. Having said that my listening position is hard up against a back wall so my room is definitely a compromise, but needs must.

Get the speakers right and you may be surprised at how good a compromise can sound. There's front-ported, rear-ported, both, sealed box, etc. I ended up with a sealed box design and am very happy with the sound. Ported speakers just introduced a horrid bass-boom in my room due to placement issues, but I wasn't prepared to let a hi-fi dictate the layout of my room, it's a lounge not a dedicated listening room :)

Take your time, home loans are the best way to determine what works and what doesn't.

Which sealed speakers do you have?

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Which sealed speakers do you have?
Kit is actually all in my signature which you may not be able to see depending on what device you use to view the forum.

Harbeth P3ESR's are my speakers. Not the final word in neutrality or bass monsters but there is a certain magic to them to my ears. I have them on wall brackets, rear panel of the speaker is approx. 4" from the wall which kind of helps with bass reinforcement. As stated, not bass monsters by any stretch of the imagination but the bass is tight and punchy, some say they need a sub to sound good, I disagree. Guess it's room and listener dependent.

Plenty of other sealed-box speakers on the market: ATC, Spendor, Rogers, etc. generally based around the original BBC monitor design. If you are tight for space then a front ported speaker could work well too - PMC, etc.

PS. My lounge measures 4x3.2m, I would imagine in a larger space the baby Harbeth's could be a bit underwhelming.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBrowne

PBrowne

May 27, 2023
Visit site
Any opinions on the Galion TS120SE amp with the Rega P8?

Not that its available in Australia...

Or the Willsenton R8?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts