New Amp time around £350

jam_man

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

Not used my hifi too much over the last few years but looking to start using it more now . Just bought my first turntable (since my midi system turntables of the 80s!), a Rega Planar 1.

Ive had an Arcam Alpha 7 amp for 20 odd years and the volume is playing up. Very much like a Spinal Tap amp, but mine seems to start at 4.

Not ideal but Im hoping to buy via Amazon as Ive been given some vouchers, so that might restrict my choice a bit.

Anyone able to suggest a few integrated amps around the £250-350 area to take a look at as Im completely out of touch with whats available.

I use SONY SS 176E floor standing speakers at moment and will mainly be the turntable. Although nice to add an Echo and/or ipad at times.

Was looking at Pioneer A-40AE Integrated Amplifier and the Marantz PM6006 UK Edition but the latter doesnt seem to be available via Amazon at the moment.

Cheers

J

Reactions: MUSICRAFT

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

Not used my hifi too much over the last few years but looking to start using it more now . Just bought my first turntable (since my midi system turntables of the 80s!), a Rega Planar 1.

Ive had an Arcam Alpha 7 amp for 20 odd years and the volume is playing up. Very much like a Spinal Tap amp, but mine seems to start at 4.

Not ideal but Im hoping to buy via Amazon as Ive been given some vouchers, so that might restrict my choice a bit.

Anyone able to suggest a few integrated amps around the £250-350 area to take a look at as Im completely out of touch with whats available.

I use SONY SS 176E floor standing speakers at moment and will mainly be the turntable. Although nice to add an Echo and/or ipad at times.

Was looking at Pioneer A-40AE Integrated Amplifier and the Marantz PM6006 UK Edition but the latter doesnt seem to be available via Amazon at the moment.

Cheers

J

Hi J. I bought a Yamaha RN602 a few weeks ago (used) and it's great. An upgrade from my (admittedly) old Marantz PM4001 amp! They go for about your budget on RS website. Plenty of grunt, good for streaming and sounds great with the pure direct mode engaged.

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Doesn't mention it on the website for some reason, probably marketed more towards streaming and digital I guess, but reviews I have seen mention the phono stage, plus the manual shows phono inputs on the back of the amplifier 👍

Reactions: Al ears
Very much like a Spinal Tap amp

Good amp and in the first instance i'll suggest looking into getting the issue with the Alpha 7 rectified. If it's beyond economical repair then look at alternative amplification.

If it's not available on Amazon and if you can then look outside of Amazon then i would highly recommend looking for Rotel's RA-1062 on used market. I used to deal with the Alpha 7 and as good as it is the RA-1062 is considerably better right across the board.

Fwiw, at the moment i can't think of another amplifier in current production around the £350 mark that is likely to be on par with the quality of power and performance offered by the RA-1062.

The RA-1062 is a Spinal Tap amp and then some (y)

Reactions: Al ears

jam_man

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Good amp and in the first instance i'll suggest looking into getting the issue with the Alpha 7 rectified. If it's beyond economical repair then look at alternative amplification.

If it's not available on Amazon and if you can then look outside of Amazon then i would highly recommend looking for Rotel's RA-1062 on used market. I used to deal with the Alpha 7 and as good as it is the RA-1062 is considerably better right across the board.

Fwiw, at the moment i can't think of another amplifier in current production around the £350 mark that is likely to be on par with the quality of power and performance offered by the RA-1062.

The RA-1062 is the Spinal Tap amp and then some (y)

Annoyingly I found an Alpha 7 on Ebay for £60 the other day and prior to deciding on a new amp was considering just getting it. Whilst trying to decide it sold.

Jez l

May 1, 2020
Visit site
Is there an option to sell the amazon vouchers and then buy a second hand amp? I wonder if that could present more options for you.

Cheers

The RA-1062 is a Spinal Tap amp and then some (y)
Unfortunately, as I found out, decent ones are rare and more importantly usually over £350 although if OP is interested there is currently one on eBay with bids up to £124...... :cool:

jam_man

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
YEah see the Yamaha for £379 now, that makes it better.

Oddly the Arcam is now working. I took it down from the top of the book case I had it sitting so I could put it somewhere a turntable could go and the volume is now working.

Still may get the new Amp, but thats a lot of record money isnt it ? :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts