New Amp & Speakers

azymuth74

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

Looking for some advice. I currently have the following set-up:

2 x Technics 1200s going into a Behringer Nox202 mixer going into a Sony TA-FE370 amp with 2 very old speakers from an old Panasonic midi-system (SB-CH40)

This is all set up in my home office which is approx. 8' x 4' and has a desk and my work computer in there. At the moment, one speaker is on the desk, the other on the floor (this would need to stay the same with any new kit except one speaker could go on a stand on the floor).

Finally, i only listen to what i have always called dance music, but falls under the genres of house, acid, techno and hardcore. Essentially, this is high bpm and heavy bass music. I am a useless DJ and use the mixer exclusively to switch between turntables. I haven't, and have no intention, of using this system for anything other than personal listening (ie, no parties...bit to old for that stuff these days).

So, i got a bonus from work and decided to upgrade the amp and speakers. Based on the rest of my setup, the size of the room, the intended use, and the style of music i listen to, has anyone got any suggestions? Was thinking of the Yamaha A-S300 amp and the Q2020i bookshelf speakers, but cant find any reviews that mention whether these would be appropriate for my style of music (and if i visit a "DJ" focused website, the talk is mostly of monitor speakers and many skip the amp stage)

P.s. my budget limit is 500-600 euro

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
How about going for some active speakers? Would save you a bit of space, as it seems you're a bit limited in the office, and you can get some very decent ones which are well within your price range. Check out the Adam F5's, which sound great, come in at under 400 euros and would work well in the space you have http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_f5_bundle.htm

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gramps23 said:
How about going for some active speakers? Would save you a bit of space, as it seems you're a bit limited in the office, and you can get some very decent ones which are well within your price range. Check out the Adam F5's, which sound great, come in at under 400 euros and would work well in the space you have http://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_f5_bundle.htm

Reasonable call but for bass driven music a bigger bass performance may be required.

A bigger bass driver will get the job done. Try Mackie HR624, MR8, Yamaha HS7, Presonus Eris 8 for starters.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/active_nearfield_monitors.html

azymuth74

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for ideas so far, i'Ll investigate them.

In terms of output, I do like to listen loud, but not up to nightclub levels. I should have said that although i want a kit that can handle the bass, i'm also keen to have something that picks up the more subtle aspects of the music.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
gramps23 said:

Reasonable call but for bass driven music a bigger bass performance may be required.

A bigger bass driver will get the job done. Try Mackie HR624, MR8, Yamaha HS7, Presonus Eris 8 for starters.

Based on the room size (8' x 4'), the F5's will be plenty loud enough, and they have surprisingly good bass for their size. In my experience, a larger speaker in that kind of space is almost certainly going to cause problems with undesirable bass boom and interference with room modes.

With the other speakers suggested, the 624's are good sounding but pretty expensive, MR8's and HS7's rear ported, so I'd suggest to be avoided in a small room unless you can get at least a foot or so behind them. I've no experience with the Presonus, but again would avoid because of size.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gramps23 said:
davedotco said:
gramps23 said:

Based on the room size (8' x 4'), the F5's will be plenty loud enough, and they have surprisingly good bass for their size. In my experience, a larger speaker in that kind of space is almost certainly going to cause problems with undesirable bass boom and interference with room modes.

With the other speakers suggested, the 624's are good sounding but pretty expensive, MR8's and HS7's rear ported, so I'd suggest to be avoided in a small room unless you can get at least a foot or so behind them. I've no experience with the Presonus, but again would avoid because of size.

Fair comment gramps, forgot about the tiny room. for what it is worth the Eris 8 are outstanding and very tight in the bass, front ported too.

Be very handy should they ever be allowed out into the real world.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
8x4 is that right?

I thought even the smallest of rooms were at least 6ft wide so you could fit a bed in whilst being able to open the door and get into the bed.

If the 'room' actually is that small I'd be going for headphones.

skippy

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
That's the same square footage as a sheet of ply.

I'd be inclined to stay away from anything with an 8" driver.

Recently heard focal cms 50 & 65's and was very impressed with their sound reproduction, although these are out of your budget the cms 40's could fit your bill, they're front ported too.

Quality piece of European equipment ;)

azymuth74

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
OK, clearly my ability to estimate sizes is rubbish. I just got out the tape measure and it is in fact 7' by 9.75'. Thanks for all suggestions so far, although the focals look like an impressive piece of kit, my budget won't stretch that far. Maybe the "extra" room space might put the amp and passive speakers back as a possibility.

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
azymuth74 said:
OK, clearly my ability to estimate sizes is rubbish. I just got out the tape measure and it is in fact 7' by 9.75'. Thanks for all suggestions so far, although the focals look like an impressive piece of kit, my budget won't stretch that far. Maybe the "extra" room space might put the amp and passive speakers back as a possibility.

7' x 9.75' is a bit easier to work with, and is about the same size as my bedroom, which has the little Denon system with Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's in. The little Wharfedale's are able to fill the room very well, and go amply loud enough with plenty of bass for my musical tastes (which include some bass heavy electronica/IDM). I did find that they have to be mounted on stands, after experimenting with wall mounting them, with about a foot behind them and about 18" from the side walls, to get the bass in check.

The 2020i's seem to get great reviews, but have rear mounted ports, so I would suggest only getting them if you can give them some space behind. Around your price bracket (250 euros if you shop about), the Monitor Audio BX2's are excellent, and front ported. Amp wise the Yamaha seems to get good reviews and you can get them very cheaply, but I've never heard it. You could buy second hand, in which case something like a NAD 320BEE, Cambridge Audio Azur 640A, Rotel RA-04 or Marantz PM6004 would all be good options and well within budget.

azymuth74

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Gramps23, much appreciated. I'm also going to investigate the Denon PMA720 amp and possibly the Dali Zensor 3s. Richer Sounds is doing a good deal on the amp and i might see if my budget will stretch to include the Dali's. Not sure whether those speakers will be too much for the size of room though?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts