New amp Roksan K3?

emcc_3

Feb 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking to update my system in stages with the first being the amp. I am looking a the K3 as I like the fact it has a phono stage and has a matching power amp that I could purchase in the future.

For the foreseeable future I will be keeping the bx5s but the plan is to upgrade to MA silvers or golds.

My only concern is that I will see limited improvement with the amp upgrade due to the speakers. Or is it the case I would still see a performance boost with the K3?

Is there any other amps that would work well with MA speakers as I plan to organise some demos in September. Have Ltd spare time these days with 2 kids and want to make the demos as focused as possible.

Fortunately the K3 is quite widely available, so you should be able to hear one at home. I'd wager it'll be a significant improvement.

I can't say the same for adding a power amp though. I'd look at the Caspian if that is the aim.

insider9

We can only wonder what it is that makes you want to upgrade. As an ex BX5 owner I'm afraid you wouldn't get as big improvement as you think expect. And definitely not £1,300 worth. I just think that Roksan K3 is overpriced, not necessarily bad just overpriced.

Were you go upgrade speakers with a view to then upgrade an amp it's a different story.

As an alternative replace the Yamaha for something smoother even same price point or loser if second hand. BX5 prefer smoother sounding amps and can be bright. I'd suspect Yamaha + MA BX5 presentation is on the bright side.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the comments above...but if you ever get to the point that you are getting an amp, it's vital that you try a few...from the likes of

Croft, Rega, Arcam and Creek.

insider9

emcc_3 said:
Thanks for the advice. Will also look at cheaper amps and suggestions from cno and gray.
Try a cheap NAD or an Arcam of eBay. Look for one sold by a business seller with free postage. So that you can return it, if you don't like it. Only loosing money on return postage cost. Small risk and if you do like it save yourself some money.

As you appear to value an integrated phono preamp then the K3 is a good amp, even more so if you can find an ex-demo one.

I wouldn't by it because you can add a power amp, at this price level its simply not worth doing, if you need more power then buy a more powerful integrated, simple as that.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
To avoid upgraditus at a pretty early date in the future, I would avoid anything less than 1k. The K3 was a significant improvement for me over the rega brio r I had before it, which I only kept for one year. The K3 adds bass to the dimension which adds a huge amount to the music. I expect you could quite easily find a new one for just over 1k somewhere,prices seem to be coming down now. I love my amp, and on a regular basis (such as last night) I am still blown away and really impressed with the sound it produces. I'm not an aficianado on amps, but another I can recommend is the abrahamsen v2up and I'd like to hear the Yamaha s2100 which blacksabbath on this forum has and highly rates. If you get a good amp, you probably won't want to upgrade it for many years. Which is the real aim!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I pushed much harder to drive speakers than anything by MA with the K2BT and it had lots of headroom. Poweramp isn't needed here.

The Caspian is no better quality in any shape or form, it's just different take on how to make an amp (BJT vs MOSFET). So choose your poison, bright and picky, over smooth and forgiving. You should know what type of sound you prefer.

plastic penguin said:
If you like the Roksan route, I'd go straight to a Caspian M2. There are a few ex-dem or /hand around the price of a K3. Admittedly, the Caspian is lower wattage but you will get quality over quantity.

Other brands: Arcam, Creek, Musical Fidelity, Nad....

Can I take a moment to point out that the Caspain has no phono stage? ... I'll get my coat...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
emcc_3 said:
Do you mean the K3 sound is smooth?

I am assuming Vlad was referring to the K2BT when he said smooth and forgiving. The K3 is, to me, similar. I would call it neutral and an excellent all rounder.

I was then directly comparing to the Pioneer A400 and it sounded much smoother, fluid and strong. Pio seemed shouty and ran out of steam where the K2 kept pounding.

As for the prices, I've said it before. Roksan is underpriced for kit that is designed and built in UK with brand pedigree behind it. Consumers are ignorant and only understand prices as trade communication. If you don't take the idiots to the cleaners, the China factory opposition with better marketing department will. Price the K3 at 4K and sell it as a deal of the year at 3K. The real money is boutiques in East Asia, Dubai, US, European capitals. If you are competing a UK product with Chinese Marantz ~1K in the UK, you are doing it wrong.

Meridian does it proper, IMO.

plastic penguin said:
@al

"Can I take a moment to point out that the Caspain has no phono stage?"

Aye, but it doesn't cost a fortune to buy a decent phono stage (one that'll match the Kandys).

Perhaps not a fortune no. However you might be surprised at the quality of their phono stages and you would need to spend a good amount to find an equivalent.

Just mentioned it because the OP seemed to be considering amps based on their internal phono stages. There are plenty of other alternatives if an internal stage is not a necessary requirement and the Caspian would, indeed, be on that list.

Was hoping you could suggest a good phono stage. Like the OP I've always had a very good stage built-in, but after buying the Tucana the Leema Elements is superb (based on a Pulse Elements stages).

If the Op is looking for a long-term amp the Caspian would be above the K3 - and others at the budget.

plastic penguin said:
Was hoping you could suggest a good phono stage. Like the OP I've always had a very good stage built-in, but after buying the Tucana the Leema Elements is superb (based on a Pulse Elements stages).

If the Op is looking for a long-term amp the Caspian would be above the K3 - and others at the budget.

I'd agree that if the OP has the money for the additional phono preamp then the Caspian is definetly the one to go for as a long-term good all-rounder. I could suggest a few phono stages but would depend on whether or not the OP would aim to stick with moving magnet cartridges or might possibly want to try moving coils in the future.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Ive taken a look inside both amps as Vlad suggested and also can see nothing inside that makes the caspian a better amp except price and marketing.

We can thank What hifi for some of that hype too

Andrewjvt said:
plastic penguin said:

Ive taken a look inside both amps as Vlad suggested and also can see nothing inside that makes the caspian a better amp except price and marketing.

We can thank What hifi for some of that hype too

They probably actually listened to it rather than look at pictures... ;-)

..the twin toroidal power supply might be one reason, as is the bi-polar rather than MOSFET output design.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts