New amp for Focal 1028

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
The upgrade itch is tickling again and want to improve the amp part of my setup to go with my focals.

I am considering the Devialet 200, NAD M series and MF M8. I don't want to pair naim or valves but would welcome any other suggestions. Current amp is Supernait 2 which is a nice combo but feel I can get more out of the speakers.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed. I mainly listen to digital music.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Philim said:
The upgrade itch is tickling again and want to improve the amp part of my setup to go with my focals.

I am considering the Devialet 200, NAD M series and MF M8. I don't want to pair naim or valves but would welcome any other suggestions. Current amp is Supernait 2 which is a nice combo but feel I can get more out of the speakers.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed. I mainly listen to digital music.

Go for the Devialet 200. - I doubt you will regret it.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Philim said:
Is the devfocal pairing not too clinical and bright?

I use a Dev 200 with Focal 1008Be's and the sound is sublime. - There seems to be a general misconception that Focal speakers are 'bright'. They're not - they are simply neutral and transparent.

My second system is based around an 845 Valve Amp and Sonus Faber speakers and so is naturally warm. Comparing the two, the Dev/Focal sound is cleaner and more transparent, but certainly not clinical or bright.

I often listen for hours on end and at the end of the session I'm really reluctant to switch it off!

The Devialet also gives you a very high quality built-in DAC and Phono stage (if you wanted to go Vinyl) and streamer. It also features very effective tone controls which allow you to tweak the sound.

SAM for your speakers is dramatically effective too.

I'd suggest you audition to see for yourself.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hegel h300 interests me. Musicraft had a 300 on offer last week which seemed good value. I may take a trip to derby.

rainsoothe

Infiniteloop said:
Philim said:
Is the devfocal pairing not too clinical and bright?

I use a Dev 200 with Focal 1008Be's and the sound is sublime. - There seems to be a general misconception that Focal speakers are 'bright'. They're not - they are simply neutral and transparent.

My second system is based around an 845 Valve Amp and Sonus Faber speakers and so is naturally warm. Comparing the two, the Dev/Focal sound is cleaner and more transparent, but certainly not clinical or bright.

I often listen for hours on end and at the end of the session I'm really reluctant to switch it off!

The Devialet also gives you a very high quality built-in DAC and Phono stage (if you wanted to go Vinyl) and streamer. It also features very effective tone controls which allow you to tweak the sound.

SAM for your speakers is dramatically effective too.

I'd suggest you audition to see for yourself.

It's not necessarily that they're bright. I own a pair of Aria 906 and I love'em to bits. But my mother tried a Naim Uniti 2 with Focal Electra 1008BE and she called me over to ask me if I found them ear piercing or not - to my surprise, I did. They were not BRIGHT per se, trebble was not harsh or anything, but stuff like guitar plucks was like someone was throwing tiny pins at my eardrums when the leading edges were happening. The Electras are very open and precise, and imo care needs to be taken when partnering them.

OP: Of course, you should try to audition for yourself, but imo, the Focal Electras should be partnered with warm, euphonic amps - to compensate for their preciseness. I auditioned a pair of 1008 (the standmounters) with a Jadis Orchestra RC tube amp, and it sounded absolutely beautiful. So give valves a go - the Jadis, again, was amazing. Taking a look at Cno's list, I see there's a lot of Class A stuff there - warmth is the reason he made that list, and I think it's a great one - with a special +1 for Accuphase from me as well.

But again, try to find a dealer that sells Jadis.

iceman16

Focal 1028 + Class A amp. is what I would suggest.
regular_smile.gif

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I could sleep at night with the ams35i burning 400watts per hour. The MF m6 or m8 is class a. Would they be a good option? Is there much difference between the two?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Philim said:
I'm not sure I could sleep at night with the ams35i burning 400watts per hour. The MF m6 or m8 is class a. Would they be a good option? Is there much difference between the two?

MF are no longer making Fully Class A amps.....and yes there is quite a difference (ie between M6/M8 and AMS).

When I heard the Arcam A49 (Class G), it gave a big taste of the 35i......I could happily live with this amp.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
Philim said:

MF are no longer making Fully Class A amps.....and yes there is quite a difference (ie between M6/M8 and AMS).

When I heard the Arcam A49 (Class G), it gave a big taste of the 35i......I could happily live with this amp.

Just in cast Cno the AMS would die( not really) im looking forward to Luxman monos!

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Philim said:

Having heard both the AMS35i and the Devialet 200, I think the D200 will give you all the Class A sound of the AMS35i and more, especially bass control. Your speakers have the Devialet SAM option which will take them to another level. :)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Philim said:

Having heard both the AMS35i and the Devialet 200, I think the D200 will give you all the Class A sound of the AMS35i and more, especially bass control. Your speakers have the Devialet SAM option which will take them to another level. :)

+1

Oie

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Running Focal Chorus 836W with an Abrahamsen V20UP and I think it's a very good combination.

Regards,

O

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Had a lot of fun over the last few weeks demoing:

Musical fidelity m8 / 500
MF nuvista 800
Devialet D200/400
Audio research pre / power
Naim supernait 2

Finally made a choice.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Philim said:
Had a lot of fun over the last few weeks demoing:

Musical fidelity m8 / 500 MF nuvista 800 Devialet D200/400 Audio research pre / power Naim supernait 2

Finally made a choice.

I too would like to hear what you thought about each amp and how it compared to its peers.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
First of all can I pass on my thanks to Oxford audio and Fanthorpes who were both great in their own way. I cannot say how good Alastair in Oxford audio was in helping me choose an amp. Fanthorpes were brilliant letting me home demo and also putting a deal together.
These are my rather limited opinion of the amps I demoed and my final decision was based upon synergy with my speakers and future. Please do not take offence at my ham fisted descriptions.

Devialet D200/400 - before i started this, the d200 was the amp I expected to end up with. I could reduce box count and it looked fantastic whilst delivering functionality. I heard this on my own speakers and a pair of very expensive Magicos. However I found I was luke warm with this amp. It didn't do anything badly but it also didn't do anything particularly well and in some regards isnt really a step up from the Sn2. If sounded muddled and unengaging to my ears. Things only really got better at d400 level however at £10k just wasn't worth it.

Audio research I heard on Wilson's and magico. They sounded beautiful on the Wilson's but lacked the drive for the magico.

MF M8 - At first I wasn't kean but I think that was more to do with it being a new amp. I really liked this amp. Good looking. Sounded fantastic in some regards. Sweet top end and very powerful bass. Touch warmer than naim. If I was being picky I would say the soundstage is a little restricted and in your face and a little bass heavy but that may be my environment. I could happily live with these.

MF nuvista 800 - Much of the MF sound of the m8 but to my ears more balanced and with better sound stage. Just amazing. Weighs about 70lbs though lol. This was both my wife and my choice having heard it 3 different times.

Naim sn2 - I love naim. Have had it for a number of years. However I struggle to see myself going back. The amp sounds thin, veiled, shouty and almost lacking bass when compared to the above. I know there is a price difference and probably some bias but we were both a little sad that we felt that way as we love the brand. Maybe with better matching speakers that may change.

For sale on an auction site naim sn2 plus hicap Dr sounds beautiful :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Philim said:
First of all can I pass on my thanks to Oxford audio and Fanthorpes who were both great in their own way. I cannot say how good Alastair in Oxford audio was in helping me choose an amp. Fanthorpes were brilliant letting me home demo and also putting a deal together. These are my rather limited opinion of the amps I demoed and my final decision was based upon synergy with my speakers and future. Please do not take offence at my ham fisted descriptions.

Devialet D200/400 - before i started this, the d200 was the amp I expected to end up with. I could reduce box count and it looked fantastic whilst delivering functionality. I heard this on my own speakers and a pair of very expensive Magicos. However I found I was luke warm with this amp. It didn't do anything badly but it also didn't do anything particularly well and in some regards isnt really a step up from the Sn2. If sounded muddled and unengaging to my ears. Things only really got better at d400 level however at £10k just wasn't worth it.

Audio research I heard on Wilson's and magico. They sounded beautiful on the Wilson's but lacked the drive for the magico.

MF M8 - At first I wasn't kean but I think that was more to do with it being a new amp. I really liked this amp. Good looking. Sounded fantastic in some regards. Sweet top end and very powerful bass. Touch warmer than naim. If I was being picky I would say the soundstage is a little restricted and in your face and a little bass heavy but that may be my environment. I could happily live with these.

MF nuvista 800 - Much of the MF sound of the m8 but to my ears more balanced and with better sound stage. Just amazing. Weighs about 70lbs though lol. This was both my wife and my choice having heard it 3 different times.

Naim sn2 - I love naim. Have had it for a number of years. However I struggle to see myself going back. The amp sounds thin, veiled, shouty and almost lacking bass when compared to the above. I know there is a price difference and probably some bias but we were both a little sad that we felt that way as we love the brand. Maybe with better matching speakers that may change.

For sale on an auction site naim sn2 plus hicap Dr sounds beautiful :)

Thank you for the write-up. If I'd had to guess an order, it would have been as follows (with the top 3 being quite close):

Nu-Vista

Acoustic Research

Devialet

M8

Naim

I take it that you are still matching with Focal, in which case the MF should work well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts