New amp for Focal 1028

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes still with the focals.

Order for me was:

Nuvista
M8
These two were quite close.
AR
Devialet
Naim

Funnily enough in price order so maybe there is some relation.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I also forgot I demoed the NAD masters m12/22 combo.

Sadly this was with kef r700 and they wouldn't home demo so it is unfair to compare. However I would say they are great looking amps. Very well made and gives similar functionality to devialet. Built in streamer, DAC , pre and power. In the context of the demo they were very good. Well balanced detailed and engaging. If you have a sevenoaks that will home demo I would definately consider them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Philim said:
I also forgot I demoed the NAD masters m12/22 combo.

Sadly this was with kef r700 and they wouldn't home demo so it is unfair to compare. However I would say they are great looking amps. Very well made and gives similar functionality to devialet. Built in streamer, DAC , pre and power. In the context of the demo they were very good. Well balanced detailed and engaging. If you have a sevenoaks that will home demo I would definately consider them.

What did you think of the R700s?

iceman16

Philim said:
First of all can I pass on my thanks to Oxford audio and Fanthorpes who were both great in their own way. I cannot say how good Alastair in Oxford audio was in helping me choose an amp. Fanthorpes were brilliant letting me home demo and also putting a deal together. These are my rather limited opinion of the amps I demoed and my final decision was based upon synergy with my speakers and future. Please do not take offence at my ham fisted descriptions.

Devialet D200/400 - before i started this, the d200 was the amp I expected to end up with. I could reduce box count and it looked fantastic whilst delivering functionality. I heard this on my own speakers and a pair of very expensive Magicos. However I found I was luke warm with this amp. It didn't do anything badly but it also didn't do anything particularly well and in some regards isnt really a step up from the Sn2. If sounded muddled and unengaging to my ears. Things only really got better at d400 level however at £10k just wasn't worth it.

Audio research I heard on Wilson's and magico. They sounded beautiful on the Wilson's but lacked the drive for the magico.

MF M8 - At first I wasn't kean but I think that was more to do with it being a new amp. I really liked this amp. Good looking. Sounded fantastic in some regards. Sweet top end and very powerful bass. Touch warmer than naim. If I was being picky I would say the soundstage is a little restricted and in your face and a little bass heavy but that may be my environment. I could happily live with these.

MF nuvista 800 - Much of the MF sound of the m8 but to my ears more balanced and with better sound stage. Just amazing. Weighs about 70lbs though lol. This was both my wife and my choice having heard it 3 different times.

Naim sn2 - I love naim. Have had it for a number of years. However I struggle to see myself going back. The amp sounds thin, veiled, shouty and almost lacking bass when compared to the above. I know there is a price difference and probably some bias but we were both a little sad that we felt that way as we love the brand. Maybe with better matching speakers that may change.

For sale on an auction site naim sn2 plus hicap Dr sounds beautiful :)

Im not surprised that you like MF and Focal together
regular_smile.gif

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I used to own the R500 and 700s. I think at their price point they are good and wd enjoyed them. To me they sounded a little flat and lifeless.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Philim said:
First of all can I pass on my thanks to Oxford audio and Fanthorpes who were both great in their own way. I cannot say how good Alastair in Oxford audio was in helping me choose an amp. Fanthorpes were brilliant letting me home demo and also putting a deal together. These are my rather limited opinion of the amps I demoed and my final decision was based upon synergy with my speakers and future. Please do not take offence at my ham fisted descriptions.

Devialet D200/400 - before i started this, the d200 was the amp I expected to end up with. I could reduce box count and it looked fantastic whilst delivering functionality. I heard this on my own speakers and a pair of very expensive Magicos. However I found I was luke warm with this amp. It didn't do anything badly but it also didn't do anything particularly well and in some regards isnt really a step up from the Sn2. If sounded muddled and unengaging to my ears. Things only really got better at d400 level however at £10k just wasn't worth it.

Audio research I heard on Wilson's and magico. They sounded beautiful on the Wilson's but lacked the drive for the magico.

MF M8 - At first I wasn't kean but I think that was more to do with it being a new amp. I really liked this amp. Good looking. Sounded fantastic in some regards. Sweet top end and very powerful bass. Touch warmer than naim. If I was being picky I would say the soundstage is a little restricted and in your face and a little bass heavy but that may be my environment. I could happily live with these.

MF nuvista 800 - Much of the MF sound of the m8 but to my ears more balanced and with better sound stage. Just amazing. Weighs about 70lbs though lol. This was both my wife and my choice having heard it 3 different times.

Naim sn2 - I love naim. Have had it for a number of years. However I struggle to see myself going back. The amp sounds thin, veiled, shouty and almost lacking bass when compared to the above. I know there is a price difference and probably some bias but we were both a little sad that we felt that way as we love the brand. Maybe with better matching speakers that may change.

Im not surprised that you like MF and Focal together

I like it a lot. The focals get a bad press and I wonder if that is on the back of naim amplification demoing. Nuvista is probably the closest to your AMS I am guessing. I reread some of my posts when I first bought the naim. I realise now I new little then but only slightly more now lol.

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Philim said:
iceman16 said:
Focal 1028 + Class A amp. is what I would suggest.
Are they your videos on you tube user Id Jayson....?

Sorry for this late reply. Yup but that was years ago from the previous house

In an odd way you can get a feel for the sound you get from a YouTube video. You could could certainly tell the difference between the naim and MF videos you posted.

iceman16

Philim said:
iceman16 said:
Philim said:

Im not surprised that you like MF and Focal together

I like it a lot. The focals get a bad press and I wonder if that is on the back of naim amplification demoing. Nuvista is probably the closest to your AMS I am guessing. I reread some of my posts when I first bought the naim. I realise now I new little then but only slightly more now lol.

I used to own Naim cdx2/202/250.2/hicap2/napsc before the AMS but never looked back

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Probably the best sound I heard though were Wilson speakers with Audio Research amp with a Michelle TT. Really beautiful but way out of my range :)

Philim

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Philim said:
iceman16 said:
Philim said:

Im not surprised that you like MF and Focal together

I used to own Naim cdx2/202/250.2/hicap2/napsc before the AMS but never looked back
I thought it might be. The 202 wasn't their best.

TRENDING THREADS