Budget hifi setup for organ music

hec80

Sep 3, 2023
Visit site
Edited! I'm looking at sorting out a budget setup that will sound good for bassy classical that involves a lot of organ music. It needs to have Bluetooth as the person using it mainly streams stuff, and to be under £1000 (as far under as possible!) - I'm thinking of the Yamaha RS202D & Q Acoustics 3030i speakers. Has anyone got this / a similar setup - if so, how does it sound? Would I be better off adding a sub - in which case which amp would be best? Any other suggestions gratefully received!

Last edited:
Edited! I'm looking at sorting out a budget setup that will sound good for bassy classical that involves a lot of organ music. It needs to have Bluetooth as the person using it mainly streams stuff, and to be under £1000 (as far under as possible!) - I'm thinking of the Yamaha RS202D & Q Acoustics 3030i speakers. Has anyone got this / a similar setup - if so, how does it sound? Would I be better off adding a sub - in which case which amp would be best? Any other suggestions gratefully received!
Unfortunately, and not knowing your room size, you are unlikely vto find a speaker system that will do justice to a grand piano let alone an organ.
Headphones perhaps??

Reactions: hec80

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
In your case, the frequency range goes down to 30 Hz, respectively, you either need a large stereo pair (of the inexpensive ones, this is the JBL E100 on the secondary market), or you need to add a subwoofer, making a 2.1 system (triphonic), Q Acoustics 3030i is a small bookshelf speaker, without a subwoofer she will not play the full musical range.

As for the amplifier, amplifiers of traditional circuitry (class AB) in the initial price range can turn off at high volume due to overheating protection. Therefore, in the budget segment, I recommend an amplifier in class D, for example, this

hec80

Sep 3, 2023
Visit site
In your case, the frequency range goes down to 30 Hz, respectively, you either need a large stereo pair (of the inexpensive ones, this is the JBL E100 on the secondary market), or you need to add a subwoofer, making a 2.1 system (triphonic), Q Acoustics 3030i is a small bookshelf speaker, without a subwoofer she will not play the full musical range.

As for the amplifier, amplifiers of traditional circuitry (class AB) in the initial price range can turn off at high volume due to overheating protection. Therefore, in the budget segment, I recommend an amplifier in class D, for example, this
Thanks for your input - I've been rethinking & now looking at Wharfedale Diamond 230 speakers with the amp - have arranged to demo the setup at Richer Sounds

hec80

Sep 3, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately, and not knowing your room size, you are unlikely vto find a speaker system that will do justice to a grand piano let alone an organ.
Headphones perhaps??
I know it's not going to be anywhere near perfect, but the person it's for is currently using a 6 year old Bose Soundlink Mini so hopefully we can improve on that. She doesn't want headphones. Now looking at floorstanders - possibly Wharfedale Diamond 230s

gasolin

Not a problem

There are a little left for cables and stands

Passive
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/integrated-amplifier/fosi-audio-bt20a-pro-class-d-amplifier-tpa3255-bluetooth-50-2x225w-4-ohm-p-17556.html
(tone controls and bluetooth )

Remember to get a bigger power supply for more power

Mission LX-6 MKII

Elac Debut F6.2

podknocker

For what it's worth, I listen to a bit of Bach now and then and my QA3030i certainly do reach down into the lower registers of the pipe organs on my CDs. Also, I owned a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 230 and I got a pair of these for £199 at RS a few years ago. They would be ideal for listening to the church organ, but for me, the bass was very bloated and boomy in my living room and I found it really annoying with the music I mainly listen to.

gasolin

qa3030i with the fosi audio v3 (cooling) from audiophonics + a bt unit

Can get cheaper and better if it has to be new

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...d-amplifier-tpa3255-2x225w-4-ohm-p-17954.html or a little cheaper from ebay

hec80

Sep 3, 2023
Visit site
For what it's worth, I listen to a bit of Bach now and then and my QA3030i certainly do reach down into the lower registers of the pipe organs on my CDs. Also, I owned a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 230 and I got a pair of these for £199 at RS a few years ago. They would be ideal for listening to the church organ, but for me, the bass was very bloated and boomy in my living room and I found it really annoying with the music I mainly listen to.
Thank you - that's really helpful. Hopefully RS will also have the 3030i's (or at least 3020i's) in the shop too so we can compare the sounds😁

hec80

Sep 3, 2023
Visit site
Not a problem

There are a little left for cables and stands

Passive
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/integrated-amplifier/fosi-audio-bt20a-pro-class-d-amplifier-tpa3255-bluetooth-50-2x225w-4-ohm-p-17556.html
(tone controls and bluetooth )

Remember to get a bigger power supply for more power

Mission LX-6 MKII

Elac Debut F6.2
Wow - thank you - loads to think about there. I'm trying really hard not to get mission creep & end up causing her to spend more than she wants to (if I were choosing a system for myself it would be different, but am trying to balance "sensible" with decent sound...) But the more things I consider the better

gasolin

I think the bass port was at the base, above the plinth and it would have been tricky to close that off.
My fault, mabye i was thinking about the diamond 12.4

What amp did you try use ?

Tighter sounding amp, an amp with higher damping factor, im currently using qed silver anniversary xt that has a faily controlled not boomy bass, what cables did you use ?

You could have bi amped them for better bass control ?

podknocker

My fault, mabye i was thinking about the diamond 12.4

What amp did you try use ?

Tighter sounding amp, an amp with higher damping factor, im currently using qed silver anniversary xt that has a faily controlled not boomy bass, what cables did you use ?

You could have bi amped them for better bass control ?
I used a Quad Vena 2 and looking back, I think this might have been the cause of the boomy bass. It certainly played a part. It failed and it got chucked. Quad are dreadful and it won't happen again.

Biamping's not going to be an option for me. Far too pricey for the difference, if any.

Also, at the risk of upsetting the moderators and setting off their alarm, cabling's not going to make a difference to the sound.

Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

I currently own an Audiolab Omnia and a pair of QA 3030i, on the end of TQ Ultra Blue cabling.

The reasons I bought the fancy cabling is firstly, it's blue and secondly, it's like a ribbon and easy to route etc.

Many cheaper cables are quite stiff and very tricky to locate.

I'm happy with the sound, even for a bit of Bach, but looking for a speaker with a bit more treble now.

Reactions: WayneKerr

podknocker

I don't know where people get the idea that a silver cable will give them a brighter sound than a copper one. Perhaps it's that thing, where you associate a colour with a certain sound, a bit like synaesthesia? It's a similar reason why Kodak chose that word, because it sounds like a camera shutter clicking, as you press the button. Ko-dak. Clicky etc. People associate a feature, or quality with something they think is appropriate for that product, but which is totally erroneous. I sort of get where their coming from, but then again, no. It's strange.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts