New amp (almost ready)

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I am finally (almost!) in a position to choose a new amplifier. *yahoo*

With my Quad 21L2 speakers which amp would you choose?

I am limiting the choices to these amplifiers only.

I know there are many amplifier and speaker choices but I am not spending another 3 years demoing!

Choices:

Marantz PM-14S1 £1600.0

Icon Audio ST40 £1800.00 (maybe £1300.00 ex-demo)

Musical Fidelity M3si £1100.00

Musical Fidelity M6si £2500.00 (stretching my budget)

moosey

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
on my quest for amp and speakers, i found the MS3si the weakest of the group. I preferred the elex, elicit, K3 and cyrus8. But in the end I bought a croft!

Anyway, the K3 was in the same demo as the MS3si, and with both sets of speakers I used, the K3 was significantly more to my taste. The MS3si was yhe easiest for me to discard from future demos.

The rest of your list wasn't available the the three dealers I used,

Good luck

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Macspur said:
Hi FM

I know you said you don't want to consider any other amps, but I firmly believe the Abrahamson would out perform either of the MF's... don't know about Icon or the Marantz, as haven't heard them.

Good luck with what ever you decide on.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

I agree, and the Abrahamsen V2.0 UP is considerably less expensive as well *smile* .

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Abrahamsen V2.0 UP has similar specs to Marantz PM-14S1 but almost half the price. How does it compare audio quality though? I can't demo, unless somewhere does home demo's.*

* Just missed your post iQ!

Don't like many of the other amps suggested.

The Roksan K2BT had a roughness to all music. Can never have Cyrus again.

I know I like the Marantz and the Icon Audio amps.

Not demoed the Musical Fidelity yet, but they have them 5 minutes drive from home. I can compare them side by side with Marantz.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Aahhw, I couldn't possibly.

I am a cyrus man (you're not) so it would be easy to assume we have different tastes. However, I have also owned a tube amplifier and loved it, go figure.

I would certainly try the Icon, it may be the only amp you ever need but I don't know where you can audition one. The Marantz will probably be the closest to 'tube sound' in your solid state list. It may be the most practical. I have never liked Musical Fidelity, to matter of fact but they generally have good load driving capability and lots of power (except the M3 which on a bench test only just scraped in the quoted power).

The Abrahamsen seems good value for money if you can live with the look of that lump. Again, short of an owner allowing to listen to one, I'm not sure where you could audition one other than taking iQ's offer of a home trial (which involves sending it back if you don't like it).

Choices ... choices ... :)

There are other choices but I leave you to your list.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Aahhw, I couldn't possibly.

I am a cyrus man (you're not) so it would be easy to assume we have different tastes. However, I have also owned a tube amplifier and loved it, go figure.

I would certainly try the Icon, it may be the only amp you ever need but I don't know where you can audition one. The Marantz will probably be the closest to 'tube sound' in your solid state list. It may be the most practical. I have never liked Musical Fidelity, to matter of fact but they generally have good load driving capability and lots of power (except the M3 which on a bench test only just scraped in the quoted power).

The Abrahamsen seems good value for money if you can live with the look of that lump. Again, short of an owner allowing to listen to one, I'm not sure where you could audition one other than taking iQ's offer of a home trial (which involves sending it back if you don't like it).

Choices ... choices ... :)

There are other choices but I leave you to your list.

Sending it back is very unlikely to happen imho *smile* .

prkprk1

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi - another vote for the Abrahamsen I'm afraid.

I was lucky enough to meet Colin (IQ Speakers) over the weekend and had a demo of the V2.0 UP. I currently have a Rega Brio R and have just upgraded my speakers from KEF Q900s to B&W PM1s. Totally different speakers I know, but felt that the PM1s needed a bit more power to get the best from them. A little research and a demo arranged, I bought the V2.0 UP (and the matching V1.0 UP CD player)

They really sound fantastic. Warm, spacious and incredibly detailed, and I can't wait to pick them up this evening! (Luckily a shipment from Sweden landed in Cheltenham today!)

I'll post what I think of them in my house soon........

PK

FennerMachine said:
I am finally (almost!) in a position to choose a new amplifier. *yahoo*

With my Quad 21L2 speakers which amp would you choose?

I am limiting the choices to these amplifiers only.

I know there are many amplifier and speaker choices but I am not spending another 3 years demoing!

Choices:

Marantz PM-14S1 £1600.0

Icon Audio ST40 £1800.00 (maybe £1300.00 ex-demo)

Musical Fidelity M3si £1100.00

Musical Fidelity M6si £2500.00 (stretching my budget)

Forget all other suggestions. With your Quad speakers I'd go with Quad 909 power amp and a cheapo preamp. They're compact and made for each other.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Krell-KSA-150-black-edition-/291455702933?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item43dc1d1795

Krell KSA 150 for about £1500 including shipping / collection costs. This was 900 000 yen new and weighs 35kgs.

Failing that the Quad 909 with matching pre-amp would be a good choice. Or the Icon would be OK if you want to go with valves and buy new.

Hi FennerMachine

You should also consider Hegel's H80 amp/DAC and H160 amp/DAC. Having heard both amps with Quad 12L's I can also see the Hegel's tight, grippy, punchy, weighty and smooth presentation also working well with 21L2's
regular_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
As Cno said in another post "Opinions are like pollen, which is floating around the internet. Just make sure you get pollinated by the right one....and the only way to do that, is to form your own.....otherwise you may grow weeds" I thought this was inspired.

This has all the makings of a great thread @FM hope you are up to it! *biggrin* just enjoy the process.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Musicraft wrote
You should also consider Hegel's H80 amp/DAC and H160 amp/DAC. Having heard both amps with Quad 12L's I can also see the Hegel's tight, grippy, punchy, weighty and smooth presentation also working well with 21L2's

I say: +1

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
As Cno said in another post "Opinions are like pollen, which is floating around the internet. Just make sure you get pollinated by the right one....and the only way to do that, is to form your own.....otherwise you may grow weeds" I thought this was inspired.

This has all the makings of a great thread @FM hope you are up to it! *biggrin* just enjoy the process.

Really?

The OP posted a list, stating he doesn't want to expand it ... and now he has another twenty or whatever suggestions ... :)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
He only thought he didn't want to expand it, he's more than capable of not, or grabbing the right pollen. Its why we come on here to get advice, form opinions, have our horizons broadand.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
out of the original suggestions i would go for the icon if its got the grunt to control the bass on the quads. i would not expect that to be too testing but specs are not everything, (manufacturers at least).

the top end tho should be sublime pairing them but thats just my guess as i have never heard both together.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I've pretty much decided, Icon Audio.

Is the Stereo 60 worth the extra cost over the Stereo 40?

I will be in a small room, 11'5” x 12'8” using my Quad 21L2 speakers

FennerMachine said:
I've pretty much decided, Icon Audio.

Is the Stereo 60 worth the extra cost over the Stereo 40?

I will be in a small room, 11'5” x 12'8” using my Quad 21L2 speakers

From what I remember, assuming you are after the Mark3 M, there is about £1000 difference between the two. For your room size I would say save money and stick with the 40 ...... and buy some spare Electro Harmonix valves....... and enjoy.

TRENDING THREADS