New album releases

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Luke Winslow-King has a new album out on 11th May called Blue Mesa, if you like blues rock, might be worth a try.

Just playing his "I'm Glad Trouble Don't Last Always" album, which is not bad.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
This one passed me by and it's an artist I really like:

Ciaran Lavery, Sweet Decay released 13 April

Too early to judge... I've got his previous album, Let Bad In and that's excellent.

insider9

Need to give these two a listen had Ciaran Lavery on in the car but haven't finished it and not had a chance to listen on my hifi.

One I missed is Orquesta Akokan; released 30th March. Just listening and it's an excellent album. Infectious rhythms. If you enjoy Latin music, particularly Cuban this is a must listen.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
While watching The Blacklist, I was so struck by a background track, that I found out about it. It was House of the rising Sun by River Mathews (from the album Imogen).

Check it out and see what you think. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_OB8OhiLZuc

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
insider9 said:
The album is available on Tidal so I shall give it a listen tomorrow. Thanks
Start with the track that I mentioned above...which I found quite haunting, especially as it was used in the scene from The Blacklist.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Great find Cno... excellent album and what a voice!

Hannah Sanders and Ben Savage released their new album today called Awake

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
I'm glad you liked it.

I certainly found it stood out so strongly, while watching the last scene in the recent episode of The Blacklist, that I simply had to find out about it.

Another track to check out, is Jace Everett "Bad Things" (Theme Tune for True Blood)...it's from the Album called "Jace Everett". Not a new album, but a great song IMO.

insider9

And that's his debut?! Very good. Just finished it and had another listen a couple of tracks.

I'm not blown away by production, to be honest. I think they missed a trick. Music and vocals are good enough not to mess with production this much. I know with simple arrangements there's always a temptation to make it sound more interesting, but for me there was no need. And if you're going to do it make sure it sounds coherent throughout.

Lots of poorly selected reverbs and delays. Some guitars sound like they've been recorded in a nearby well. And a personal dislike when you change vocal effects between the tracks as much.

Saying that I thoroughly enjoyed it and it will be on a repeat listen. One of a better releases this year.

insider9

There have been quite a few releases today that may be worth a listen. Apologies, just posting a handful.

Starting with a new album by Loreena McKennitt. "Lost Souls" with recognisable Celtic influences. Usually a very audiophile material.

Next, test for your system can be from this Classical release, which genre is vastly under represented on this thread.

Symphony No. 6 in A Minor from Mahler by Osmo Vanska and Minesotta Orchestra.

Luke Winslow-King "Blue Mesa" seems a good value for fans of Americana/Blues.

And if that's all to mellow for you, you may like this last one, Sevendust "All I See is War." Yes, it is a Metal release :) correction more of a Nu-Metal release; which to Metal is what Pop/Rock is to Rock ;)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
There have been quite a few releases today that may be worth a listen. Apologies, just posting a handful.

Starting with a new album by Loreena McKennitt. "Lost Souls" with recognisable Celtic influences. Usually a very audiophile material.

Next, test for your system can be from this Classical release, which genre is vastly under represented on this thread.

Symphony No. 6 in A Minor from Mahler by Osmo Vanska and Minesotta Orchestra.

Luke Winslow-King "Blue Mesa" seems a good value for fans of Americana/Blues.

And if that's all to mellow for you, you may like this last one, Sevendust "All I See is War." Yes, it is a Metal release :) correction more of a Nu-Metal release; which to Metal is what Pop/Rock is to Rock ;)

Bit of a fan of Loreena... so glad you're enjoying the Hannah and Ben album.

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

insider9

Hannah and Ben; very good indeed. And the production I thought was perfect. Lots of good folk, country, singer songwriter releases this a year. Must admit Metal and most Rock releases so far disappointed.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
Need to give these two a listen had Ciaran Lavery on in the car but haven't finished it and not had a chance to listen on my hifi.

One I missed is Orquesta Akokan; released 30th March. Just listening and it's an excellent album. Infectious rhythms. If you enjoy Latin music, particularly Cuban this is a must listen.

Just playing this now, it's pretty good, I quite like Cuban music, I went there about 10 years ago, interesting country.

insider9

I've had a great day listening to new releases on Wednesday. I finally had a listen to Loreena McKennitt "Lost Souls." It's a decent release if you're a fan. Considering this is a first original material realease since 2006, fair play to her. I'm more of an admirer than a fan so it was a pleasant listen but no fireworks.

MI0004418112.jpg

Next up a strong release from Ry Cooder. His album "Prodigal Son" has a reflective Bluesy vibe. It's Political Folk so tread carefully if you're after something cherful; this isn't it. But if you're after a little satire while you're sipping singe malt, you're in for a treat. I even enjoyed it without.

MI0004404980.jpg

Finally, one that I nearly missed. And it happens to be a very enjoyable one. Release two weeks today "Free Yourselfs Up" by Lake Street Dive (abreviated as LSD) was a big surprise to me. Not only as it is a very interesting and enjoyable album, but also because it's their 6th. It mixed R&B and Rock influences, sprinkles a little Soul and just makes you feel good. The arrangements might not be complex but the overall mix of genres paired with very nice vocals make it a worthy listen. Who knew I'd be promoting LSD on an open forum?! Do give this one a listen, even if it's a track or two.

MI0004415762.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts