New album releases

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 160668

Tom Misch drops his new album next month which I’m very much looking forward to.

if it’s anything like the last one it will be a firm summmertime bbq fav.

Also seeing him live soon at a festival which should be cool

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
AntAxon said:
Dark Black on Spotify? I came across KT when I was listening to Rumer on Spotify and I click on related artists, I listened to the first two tracks of Dark Black and next thing I ordered the album on Amazon.

I saw KT when just before Christmas when she did a gig at Blacks Club in Soho and her voice is just as good live as her albums.

Don't know why she is not a household name!

Just playing Dark Black now, sounds good so far, thanks for tipping her.

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
I personally cannot wait for Tesseract's new album, Sonder.
The digipak also contains a binaural mix (their previous album had a 5.1 mix)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Loma, loma is a nice album , came out this year. Would suit tastes of those into Julie Byrnes fantastic folk album last year, Agnes Obel etc.

nils frahm, all melody, also of 2018. I love nils frahm. A nice neo classical come electronic album of those artists who do this.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Loma, loma is a nice album , came out this year. Would suit tastes of those into Julie Byrnes fantastic folk album last year, Agnes Obel etc.

nils frahm, all melody, also of 2018. I love nils frahm. A nice neo classical come electronic album of those artists who do this.

Loma, that's a new one on me... it's terriffic!

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Macspur said:

Mac

glad you liked it. Will keep an eye out for others of similar ilk.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Moby - everything was beautiful and nothing hurt (2018) - got to be worth checking out from this dance / electronic / chill-out maestro.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Macspur said:

Mac

glad you liked it. Will keep an eye out for others of similar ilk.

2 members were in Cross Record, so that should be similar. Other member is from Shearwater who are a bit more rocky.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Checking out Tracey Thorn’s new 2018 album ‘Record’. Tracey Thorn of ‘everything but the girl’, 90s fame. She sang a lot of the groundbreaking stuff at the time eg massive attack protection album.

Quite tuney to start with, not sure........

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Moby - everything was beautiful and nothing hurt (2018) - got to be worth checking out from this dance / electronic / chill-out maestro. 
Just came onto this thread to list this album. Listening to it now....half way through ...sounds great.
Good to see you back as well quest.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Thanks for comments.

Moby is a fantastic recording artist. Very talented. The album ‘play’ is fantabulous. I remember listening to the moby track ‘go’ in late 80s and early 90s. Great track

im really liking this new moby album. The track ‘the wild darkness’ has all the great qualities of moby. His monotone voiceover he often uses, great melody, backing singers, use of lots of chord changes to give atmosphere and feel and rhythm, and that crescendo thing where the tracks build up and up and a big sound feel.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for comments.

Moby is a fantastic recording artist. Very talented. The album ‘play’ is fantabulous. I remember listening to the moby track ‘go’ in late 80s and early 90s. Great track

im really liking this new moby album. The track ‘the wild darkness’ has all the great qualities of moby. His monotone voiceover he often uses, great melody, backing singers, use of lots of chord changes to give atmosphere and feel and rhythm, and that crescendo thing where the tracks build up and up and a big sound feel.

Well, I got to hear half of it at work today. I'm just home and its straight onto the hifi. I'm glad you've listed a track further down the playing order that I haven't yet got to hear. I think it's a real return to form from what I've heard. I prefer this mellower side of his, but with big bass lines. I love the hotel album, especially the ambient cd. I think there are a couple of his recent albums I've not heard so I'll be going through them soon, but I did listen to his relaxation/sleep album last week, and that's great....(for sleeping).

insider9

Pearl Jam has announced new album coming this year. No date set but with European tour starting mid June this would point to May release. That's only my speculation.

New single "Can't Deny Me" is out and for anyone who knows Eddie Vedder they'll know how much it must've hurt him to write lyrics like this.

Looks like it could be the most Punk Rock album in Pearl Jam's history. Now think who's he singing about/to...

Try and talk down to me
My mind it ain't so simple
Where's your vocabulary
Your ignorance is sinful

You plant your lying seeds
Watch as the roots take hold
The country you are now poisoning
Condition critical

The higher, the farther, the faster you fly
I know it's true, and you can't deny me
Got nothing, got nothing, you got nothing to hide
Little ******** whore, and you can't deny me

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
Thanks for more suggestions will have to catch up meanwhile...

Myles Kennedy "Year of the Tiger" had been released today. Listening to it right now.

I bought this on the day of release and can't stop playing it. I have followed, if not always enjoyed, his work with Alter Bridge but this solo album is something else. Superb songs and his voice is at its best.

9.5/10 for me this one.

insider9

Very much agree it's a great album and I've listened to it quite a bit too. It was on a repeat the first couple of days. He's channelling his inner Robert Plant and it shows. In fact the album reminds more of Led Zeppelin III than Alter Bridge bar one song.

I'm a big fan and really like what he does with Alter Bridge but the album he recorded with Mayfield Four is also very good if you haven't listened. Superb talent with a rare voice.

insider9

jjbomber said:
insider9 said:
but the album he recorded with Mayfield Four is also very good if you haven't listened. 

Fallout or Second Skin?
Good point. I was referring to "Fallout" . "Second Skin" was fine but not as good hence doesn't get much listen and as you pointed out easily forgotten :)

But "Fallout" was great overall with a very memorable Marvin Gaye cover ("Inner City Blues"). In my opinion one of the best covers ever recorded.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'm a big fan and really like what he does with Alter Bridge but the album he recorded with Mayfield Four is also very good if you haven't listened. Superb talent with a rare voice.

Thank you - I haven't heard that one but will have a listen on Tidal later.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Electro said:
AntAxon said:
The new Kristina Train album Rayon City. It's due out sometime this year. A preview of it can be heard on Soundcloud. It is not the finished article as there is a lot more production to be done to it. She is currently trying to raise funds to add string arangements to it.

Here is the web address of Rayon City on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/skylarwilson/sets

Her voice is amazing, check out her other albums Dark Black and Spilt Milk on Spotify.

You're right her voice is amazing *good* , but I love the recording it as it is ! She should leave it raw, real and simple and not polish or complicate it too much.

It is a crying shame that so many recordings are over engineered as it robs the feeling from the music.

I agree judging by the Distant Land track on her website it does not sound too promising, over produced to me. I perfer the original version.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
Electro said:
AntAxon said:
The new Kristina Train album Rayon City. It's due out sometime this year. A preview of it can be heard on Soundcloud. It is not the finished article as there is a lot more production to be done to it. She is currently trying to raise funds to add string arangements to it.

Here is the web address of Rayon City on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/skylarwilson/sets

Her voice is amazing, check out her other albums Dark Black and Spilt Milk on Spotify.

You're right her voice is amazing *good* , but I love the recording it as it is ! She should leave it raw, real and simple and not polish or complicate it too much.

It is a crying shame that so many recordings are over engineered as it robs the feeling from the music.

I agree judging by the Distant Land track on her website it does not sound too promising, over produced to me. I perfer the original version.

I think Rayon City will be okay although I do take your point. Distant Lands on her website is not the finished article. I think the idea is mainly to add string arrangements. Her friend Brian Bryne is collaborating with her on it. He has written a few film scores and is pretty good. Have you found KT on Spotify if so give Sparks from the "I give it a year" album a try. Another favourite is "Waltz with me under the sun" from "Queen of Carthage".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts