New album releases

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
One I missed is Orquesta Akokan; released 30th March. Just listening and it's an excellent album. Infectious rhythms. If you enjoy Latin music, particularly Cuban this is a must listen.

Really enjoyed that.

Recent albums I’ve liked are Cocoa Sugar by Young Fathers and Persona by Rival Consoles.

insider9

Biffy Clyro "MTV Unplugged Live"

44.jpg

Didn't realise it came out last week. I usually like unplugged concerts, I'm ok with Biffy Clyro too. Might be interesting.

insider9

Released back in February a self-titled debut by Legend Of The Seagullmen is no ordinary album. Inspired by Sponge Bob Squarepants, Little Mermaid, Heavy metal of the 80's and Pirates of the Caribbean films (only one of these statements is true, or is it) really shines with originality.

If you're up for an absurd Pirate Metal trip this is the one for you. Definitely one of the more unusual releases this year. To top it all off musicianship (pun intended) is great. Enjoy!

sg1hhmr.png

insider9

An album of previously unheard original compositions by the legendary jazz saxophonist John Coltrane has been discovered.

The album, being released on 29 June as Both Directions at Once: the Lost Album, was recorded in a session on 6 March 1963, at the Van Gelder studios in New Jersey. Joining Coltrane in the quartet that also recorded classic albums such as A Love Supreme, Coltrane, and Ballads, are Jimmy Garrison on double bass, Elvin Jones on drums, and McCoy Tyner on piano.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
Craig M. said:
Really enjoyed that.

Recent albums I’ve liked are Cocoa Sugar by Young Fathers and Persona by Rival Consoles.

Thanks again, Craig. I've tried but not my usual kind of thing. It will require a specific kind of mood.

I’ve tired of them quite quickly myself. You’ve set me to thinking about the last album release to REALLY grab me and hold on and I was shocked to discover it was 7 years ago! Heard plenty since that I’ve enjoyed but not been blown away by, don’t know if it’s me getting older or music getting worse - I do tend to listen to playlists rather than albums these days though. Oh, Diamond Mine by Jon Hopkins and King Creosote, in case you were wondering.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Craig M. said:
insider9 said:
Craig M. said:
Really enjoyed that.

Thanks again, Craig. I've tried but not my usual kind of thing. It will require a specific kind of mood.

I’ve tired of them quite quickly myself. You’ve set me to thinking about the last album release to REALLY grab me and hold on and I was shocked to discover it was 7 years ago! Heard plenty since that I’ve enjoyed but not been blown away by, don’t know if it’s me getting older or music getting worse - I do tend to listen to playlists rather than albums these days though. Oh, Diamond Mine by Jon Hopkins and King Creosote, in case you were wondering.

Sounds a bit like me, keep thinking have not heard a great new album for a long time, last one probably 2014. I agree Diamond Mine is a good one. To be fair there were a few in 2015 that I thought were pretty good: Melody Gardot - Currency of Man, Dave McGraw/Mandy Fer - Maritime, Holly Arrowsmith - For the Weary Traveller. Favourite in 2018 is still Glen Hansard - Between Two Shores.

One that does not seem to have been mentioned before is Twin Fantasy by Car Seat Headrest is a rerecording of the 2011 release.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
Interestingly, I've discovered Diamond Mine around the time Glen Hansard's album came out.

Have you guys heard Myles Kennedy's "Year of the Tiger"? Must be one of the best releases this year.

Yes I did try it, not keen to be honest, don't like the vocals.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
Interestingly, I've discovered Diamond Mine around the time Glen Hansard's album came out.

Have you guys heard Myles Kennedy's "Year of the Tiger"? Must be one of the best releases this year.

Yes I did try it, not keen to be honest, don't like the vocals.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts