Never been a better time to buy vinyl

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gpi said:
They are a business with overheads so I have no concerns about them pricing records at market value. Why should you get a bargain on a rare record just because it's a charity shop? As for 'a man' going in to take all the good records and putting steep prices on the rest, that's nonsense IMO.

Yes but their overheads are a lot lower than other retailers, staff work for nothing, taxes are lower, rents are lower, so actually I expect the prices to be lower thats why a lot of people shop there. Yes I do know staff keep the best items for themselves. So I can well believe the guy pricing up might do that.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
So the best time to buy vinyl has most certainly passed.

I'm glad you agree with me.

It has, but my point was that you can still get excellent records for not very much, you just have to try a bit harder, and if luck is on your side, you'll come home with some genuine bargains. You don't think that's possible, I know it is.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
Near me there's a record fair once a month or so and ever time I go I come away with nothing because I already own all the decent titles and the rest is unknown (to me) rubbish.

Just because you don't knowit, doesn't mean it's rubbish. Quite a lot of the most valuable records are by artist most people haven't heard of, but they are desired because they are great records, that were criminally ignored when they were released.

For example? Name three albums I've missed over the years.

I don't know what you know or don't, but you're the one that said "unknown (to me) rubbish". Unknown doesn't mean rubbish. it just means you don't know it. I've probably got 100s of records that you've never heard of, but I doubt you've got 100s that I've never heard of. If I'm wrong. I'll apologise, I just doubt that I am wrong.

Here's 3 off the top of my head.

Solex - Solex vs The Hitmeister

Slint - Spiderland

Jazz-Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief

All rubbish to me. I could cut them up into some artworks. I've seen that done with 50p bargain bin records before.

Stick to Phil Collins, everything else is rubbish
sad_smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
Near me there's a record fair once a month or so and ever time I go I come away with nothing because I already own all the decent titles and the rest is unknown (to me) rubbish.

Just because you don't knowit, doesn't mean it's rubbish. Quite a lot of the most valuable records are by artist most people haven't heard of, but they are desired because they are great records, that were criminally ignored when they were released.

I don't know what you know or don't, but you're the one that said "unknown (to me) rubbish". Unknown doesn't mean rubbish. it just means you don't know it. I've probably got 100s of records that you've never heard of, but I doubt you've got 100s that I've never heard of. If I'm wrong. I'll apologise, I just doubt that I am wrong.

Slint - Spiderland

All rubbish to me. I could cut them up into some artworks. I've seen that done with 50p bargain bin records before.

Why are you so dismissive of anything you haven't heard? That Jazz-Hip Trio album is fantastic Cool Jazz, the Slint album has inspired lots of different bands, and is a great listen, and the Solex album is just full of great tunes. Yes they're all a bit different from the mainstream, but I can hear mainstream music anywhere I go; in shops, pubs, weddings, birthday partys etc. etc. There's no enjoyment in listening to the same songs over and over endlessly, surely?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BigH said:
gpi said:
They are a business with overheads so I have no concerns about them pricing records at market value. Why should you get a bargain on a rare record just because it's a charity shop? As for 'a man' going in to take all the good records and putting steep prices on the rest, that's nonsense IMO.

Yes but their overheads are a lot lower than other retailers, staff work for nothing, taxes are lower, rents are lower, so actually I expect the prices to be lower thats why a lot of people shop there. Yes I do know staff keep the best items for themselves. So I can well believe the guy pricing up might do that.

I agree on the whole, but they do actually pay some members of staff these days, which I guess is a reason they charge high prices for stuff. My problem with them, is when they charge the high prices for utter cak.

I'm going out in a minute round a few charity shops, and if I find some good examples, I'll make a note of the records and prices.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

Slint - Spiderland

That's a silly and childish sweeping statement. I listened to Testify on Spotify yesterday and won't be buying that album and his other later ones. Not sure what happened to him with his later solo output.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
gpi said:

Do some voluntary work there and grab the bargains first if it troubles you that much. As I said, I'm a music and vinyl lover, not a bargain hunt lover. I do find the occasional good buy in charity shops but it's increasingly rarer these days.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gpi said:
BigH said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

Slint - Spiderland

That's a silly and childish sweeping statement. I listened to Testify on Spotify yesterday and won't be buying that album and his other later ones. Not sure what happened to him with his later solo output.

You were the one saying that those were rubbish, maybe a lot of people think Phil Collins is rubbish. There is still plenty of music out there to be discovered, just because you think its all rubbish does not mean everyone else does. Stick to what you have. What else do you play apart from Phil Collins/Genesis?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
gpi said:
BigH said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

Slint - Spiderland

You were the one saying that those were rubbish, maybe a lot of people think Phil Collins is rubbish. There is still plenty of music out there to be discovered, just because you think its all rubbish does not mean everyone else does. Stick to what you have. What else do you play apart from Phil Collins/Genesis?

I didn't say everything else was rubbish. I was referring to my local record fair. I listen to everything from AC/DC to ZZ Top. Classical too.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gpi said:
BigH said:
gpi said:
BigH said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

Slint - Spiderland

I didn't say everything else was rubbish. I was referring to my local record fair. I listen to everything from AC/DC to ZZ Top.

Everything from rock to, err, rock then?

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
gpi said:
BigH said:
gpi said:
BigH said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

Slint - Spiderland

I didn't say everything else was rubbish. I was referring to my local record fair. I listen to everything from AC/DC to ZZ Top.

No.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gpi said:
The_Lhc said:
gpi said:
BigH said:
gpi said:
BigH said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

Slint - Spiderland

No.

Hard rock to boogie rock then?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm still out and about, but I did find a rather good album for a pound in a charity shop today, even though it's no longer possible to do so.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm still out and about, but I did find a rather good album for a pound in a charity shop today, even though it's no longer possible to do so.

Got a few records today, but 'Africa Brass' by The John Coltrane Quartet was the best of the lot.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Got a few records today, but 'Africa Brass' by The John Coltrane Quartet was the best of the lot.

Good one, just been playing that.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BigH said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

My copy looks good, but I like to clean any used records before I play them, so I haven't heard it yet.

I take it, it's a great album?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
The best time to buy vinyl will be just after the skinny jeans, beard and man-bun brigade have moved on to something even more retro and unlikely. I think it may be the Etch-A-Sketch. Or possibly the View-Master.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

My copy looks good, but I like to clean any used records before I play them, so I haven't heard it yet.

Depends on your taste in Jazz, its interesting, not easy listening, I prefer his earlier work like Blue Train/Giant Steps.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Conflating two current topics, when was the last time anyone saw a Prince album in a charity shop or indeed anywhere second hand? There's various shops and used vinyl sellers round my way and thinking about it I can't recall ever seeing his stuff for sale, I would almost certainly have bought it if it had, so either nobody in this part of the world likes him or, when they do get his stuff they never get rid of it.

I can't even recall seeing CDs of his stuff thinking about it...

Saw a couple of Prince albums today second hand, but I live in Madrid. They'll be on Discogs. I Don't think charity shops exist here but there's a load of good record shops most of which only sell used vinyl, upwards from around €6/£4 typically for something in excellent condition (disc at least), its probably around €10/£8 on average. I've never picked up anything that was less than VG. If you like pre-90's rock, pop, jazz, funk, blues or soul you're spolit for choice. Less choice for independent contemporary stuff but there's a few really good places. Bajo El Volcan (below the volcano) is my favourite place as they have a substantial amount of quality contemporary stuff, plenty of reissued classic stuff and a great used section in the basement. Was in there today and picked up Nosaj Thing's "Fated" new for around £15, and a bunch of used records around £5 (€7) each; Tom Scott, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Mike Nock, Pat Metheny & Charlie haden, Mark Knopflers Local Hero OST all in great condition, I think that's good value for just over £40. If you're ever in Madrid, I highly recommend it. Also "La Metralleta" is good for a few hours of digging (reminds me of the cover of DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing")

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BigH said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Depends on your taste in Jazz, its interesting, not easy listening, I prefer his earlier work like Blue Train/Giant Steps.

I played it earlier, loved the first track, not so keen on 'Greensleeves', and really liked the last track. Very very happy with it for a pound though (condition is great), and I'll probably give it another spin tomorrow

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
spiny norman said:
The best time to buy vinyl will be just after the skinny jeans, beard and man-bun brigade have moved on to something even more retro and unlikely. I think it may be the Etch-A-Sketch. Or possibly the View-Master.

the special edition Sue Carpenter Tube Kaleidoscope.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts