Never been a better time to buy vinyl

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
I have resisted but I am sold on vinyl. Just visited our local charity shop and there are racks of vintage vinyl which no doubt is not available on CD or streaming services.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Edbo2 said:
I have resisted but I am sold on vinyl. Just visited our local charity shop and there are racks of vintage vinyl which no doubt is not available on CD or streaming services.

Well you might be surprised what is available on streaming services (not that I use them) but that's only a benefit if you actually like that sort of "vintage" music. If you have found something you like though, get in quick, seems to me most charity shops are catching on and the prices, even for crap, are climbing.

New vinyl certainly isn't cheap, £120 for three albums and a single I paid this week! One of the albums was 65 quid on its own though but that's Record Store Day for you now...

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Edbo2 said:
Eighteen months ago when prices were cheap and the millenial hadn't "discovered" vinyl were better.
New Seekers Greatist Hits 100 quid. Any takers?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Where are these charity shops?

Nothing around this way and vinyl is expensive now, think for buying vinyl best time was a few years ago when people were giving or chucking it away.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The OP never said it was cheap, he just said there were racks of it. In my experience, most charity shops have 'a man' that comes in, takes all the good records for himself, then sticks stupid prices on the cak that's left for us to buy. There are exceptions, and luckily one of them is very near me, but even in there, you have to be lucky to get anything good, because the dealers are in every day, and sometimes twice a day.

So the best time to buy vinyl has most certainly passed.

K

keeper of the quays

BigH said:

Nothing around this way and vinyl is expensive now, think for buying vinyl best time was a few years ago when people were giving or chucking it away.
Oxfam online is a good place to start..bout a fiver a record..

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
BigH said:

I looked there, seems very expensive.

BigH said:
keeper of the quays said:
BigH said:

I looked there, seems very expensive.
Yes, they actually price it based on what it is. You need the ones that want 50p whether it's a worn out K-Tel or a Living Stereo played only once!

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Oxfam tend to price according to the Record Collectors price guide. I went in one local to me and the guy behind the till was browsing through the Record Collectors price guide.
Sometimes you can get lucky and pick up a bargain but most the time the records are overpriced for the condition.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Daz B said:
Oxfam tend to price according to the Record Collectors price guide. I went in one local to me and the guy behind the till was browsing through the Record Collectors price guide. Sometimes you can get lucky and pick up a bargain but most the time the records are overpriced for the condition.
thats the problem and some records look ok but don't sound good, with postage at £3.50 thats too much to risk. I had a browse but only found one that may tempt me. I don't think I would buy online.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
They are a business with overheads so I have no concerns about them pricing records at market value. Why should you get a bargain on a rare record just because it's a charity shop? As for 'a man' going in to take all the good records and putting steep prices on the rest, that's nonsense IMO.

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I haven't got a problem paying the market value but some charity shops and 2nd hand record shops are pricing records which are barely in very good condition at mint or excellent valuations.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Daz B said:
I haven't got a problem paying the market value but some charity shops and 2nd hand record shops are pricing records which are barely in very good condition at mint or excellent valuations.

If it's a rarer album they will. As one example, in my local Oxfam, I've seen original Beatles mono pressings, with tatty covers and well played or even scratched vinyl, still priced highly. They mark defects on a sticker on the pvc cover so you know what you're buying. If you see a record over-priced why not mention it and see if you get a discount. Personally I wouldn't do that in a charity shop but maybe would in a second hand shop.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gpi said:
They are a business with overheads so I have no concerns about them pricing records at market value. Why should you get a bargain on a rare record just because it's a charity shop? As for 'a man' going in to take all the good records and putting steep prices on the rest, that's nonsense IMO.

I said 'In my experience', and it's not nonsense, it's a fact. Quite a few of my more local charity shop staff have either told me this is the case, or I have experienced it. Your 'opinion' may differ to my 'experiences'.

I don't have a problem with them selling records at market value (though it is frustrating), but I do have a problem with them charging 'mint' prices for 'good' records. I regularly see stupid pricing, with one example being Kylie Minogue's 'I Should Be Lucky' 7" priced at £5 with a battered sleeve, and even more battered record. It's beyond laughable.

I'm lucky, I've got a good charity industrial unit that sells records at £1, whatever the record, whatever the condition, and 2 charity shops that sells records at 25p each. I've also got one that has 'a man' come in every Saturday, but you can still find a good record for less than the market price at times. The majority, though, only sell records when they've been checked by their 'man', and do you really think he's doing it for the charity? Of course he isn't, he's spending 15 minutes a week so that he can carry some valuable records away to sell.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

I said 'In my experience', and it's not nonsense, it's a fact. Quite a few of my more local charity shop staff have either told me this is the case, or I have experienced it. Your 'opinion' may differ to my 'experiences'.

I don't have a problem with them selling records at market value (though it is frustrating), but I do have a problem with them charging 'mint' prices for 'good' records. I regularly see stupid pricing, with one example being Kylie Minogue's 'I Should Be Lucky' 7" priced at £5 with a battered sleeve, and even more battered record. It's beyond laughable.

I'm lucky, I've got a good charity industrial unit that sells records at £1, whatever the record, whatever the condition, and 2 charity shops that sells records at 25p each. I've also got one that has 'a man' come in every Saturday, but you can still find a good record for less than the market price at times. The majority, though, only sell records when they've been checked by their 'man', and do you really think he's doing it for the charity? Of course he isn't, he's spending 15 minutes a week so that he can carry some valuable records away to sell.

The days of buying valuable old vinyl for peanuts are gone, You are fortunate to have a local source of cheap records but it all depends what they are. Near me there's a record fair once a month or so and ever time I go I come away with nothing because I already own all the decent titles and the rest is unknown (to me) rubbish.

As for your man nicking all the good stuff, can't you lay in wait and ambush him? :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
gpi said:
They are a business with overheads so I have no concerns about them pricing records at market value. Why should you get a bargain on a rare record just because it's a charity shop? As for 'a man' going in to take all the good records and putting steep prices on the rest,  that's nonsense IMO.

That's certainly how Oxfam do it and as said they put mint condition prices on everything, regardless of condition. In the totnes branch a few years back they had a copy of JRR Tolkien reading passages and poems from The Lord of the Rings. The sleeve looked like it had been ripped in half and badly stuck back together with sellotape and they still wanted 25 quid for it. I paid, obviously...

Daz B

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
I find record fairs are the best source for 2nd hand vinyl and if you buy several items from the same dealer you often get a reasonable discount if you ask.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
gpi said:

That's certainly how Oxfam do it and as said they put mint condition prices on everything, regardless of condition. In the totnes branch a few years back they had a copy of JRR Tolkien reading passages and poems from The Lord of the Rings. The sleeve looked like it had been ripped in half and badly stuck back together with sellotape and they still wanted 25 quid for it. I paid, obviously...

This is not the case at my local Oxfam music and books store. Their records are priced from £1.99 and only records in good condition and upwards are in the racks. ATEOTD it's up to you to inspect the record and make a judgement on its value to you.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gpi said:
The days of buying valuable old vinyl for peanuts are gone

Not true, it's just far more difficult.

You should check here to see how many bargains I and others have found over the years.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gpi said:
Near me there's a record fair once a month or so and ever time I go I come away with nothing because I already own all the decent titles and the rest is unknown (to me) rubbish.

Just because you don't knowit, doesn't mean it's rubbish. Quite a lot of the most valuable records are by artist most people haven't heard of, but they are desired because they are great records, that were criminally ignored when they were released.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
Near me there's a record fair once a month or so and ever time I go I come away with nothing because I already own all the decent titles and the rest is unknown (to me) rubbish.

Just because you don't knowit, doesn't mean it's rubbish. Quite a lot of the most valuable records are by artist most people haven't heard of, but they are desired because they are great records, that were criminally ignored when they were released.

For example? Name three albums I've missed over the years.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Daz B said:
I find record fairs are the best source for 2nd hand vinyl and if you buy several items from the same dealer you often get a reasonable discount if you ask.

Ebay is worth buying from with the Paypal satisfaction guarantee, which now includes them paying for the record to be returned.

I've had good and bad experience of records from ebay, but it's worth a punt on a well priced record these days.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
The days of buying valuable old vinyl for peanuts are gone

Not true, it's just far more difficult.

You should check here to see how many bargains I and others have found over the years.

1697 posts going back to 2013, cheers. :) The days of buying valuable old vinyl for peanuts are gone. Amazon marketplace sellers, discogs sellers, ebay sellers, etc. - all savvy. Maybe there's still the odd local house clearance you can spot or the various job lots on Gumtree and the like. If I want an older record to fill a gap, I spend quite a while looking at various outlets in order to buy one at a fair price. If someone has overpriced a copy, I just don't buy it, simple as and if it's not as described I sent it back for a full refund or get them to part refund.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

For example? Name three albums I've missed over the years.

I don't know what you know or don't, but you're the one that said "unknown (to me) rubbish". Unknown doesn't mean rubbish. it just means you don't know it. I've probably got 100s of records that you've never heard of, but I doubt you've got 100s that I've never heard of. If I'm wrong. I'll apologise, I just doubt that I am wrong.

Here's 3 off the top of my head.

Solex - Solex vs The Hitmeister

Slint - Spiderland

Jazz-Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts