Never been a better time to buy vinyl

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gpi said:
1697 posts going back to 2013, cheers. :)

If you've got the time to keep posting your opinions on here, you've got the time to do a little research.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gpi said:
The days of buying valuable old vinyl for peanuts are gone.

Just one example (of many), the Jazz-Hip Trio record I mentioned cost 33p, it's close to mint, and it's worth £50 of anybody's money.

As i said, it's harder to find the bargains, but it can be done.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Keep the faith. Like every fashion, the hipster thing will pass, at which point a tidal wave of unwanted LPs will hit the second hand market. *biggrin*

Bradley747

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
Id say there has never been a better time to buy CDs...

seems ca. 6-8GBP gets you a new CD regardless of age or genre...

Or 120GBP per year gets you all the albums in the world...

pays ya money ya takes ya choice

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Recently I met a long-time mainly classical vinyl enthusiast who actually had never really got into cd's. He has 1000's of albums (he thinks about 4000), and has his regular dealers and charity shops he frequents. He tells me that there is at least one guy he knows that has over 10,000 vinyl albums, and when asked why? - it was for his pension. This guy apparently spends his time travelling across the south west of England and Wales picking up all the 'best' stuff. That could turn into a nice little pension pot assuming he can sell them.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Conflating two current topics, when was the last time anyone saw a Prince album in a charity shop or indeed anywhere second hand? There's various shops and used vinyl sellers round my way and thinking about it I can't recall ever seeing his stuff for sale, I would almost certainly have bought it if it had, so either nobody in this part of the world likes him or, when they do get his stuff they never get rid of it.

I can't even recall seeing CDs of his stuff thinking about it...

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Conflating two current topics, when was the last time anyone saw a Prince album in a charity shop or indeed anywhere second hand? There's various shops and used vinyl sellers round my way and thinking about it I can't recall ever seeing his stuff for sale, I would almost certainly have bought it if it had, so either nobody in this part of the world likes him or, when they do get his stuff they never get rid of it.

I suspect that a lot of people who bought Prince albums would never part with them even if they did not play them any longer. My wife has cherished albums from her childhood and early adult life that I know she would never part with, and I have friends and relatives who also won't part with their albums - and none of them play the stuff, some don't even have turntables anymore.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The_Lhc said:

I own 3 Prince albums; Purple Rain, which I bought at it's time of release, The Hits 2, which I found for 50p in a junk shop in the late 90s, and Lovesexy, which I think I bought at a car boot sale within the last few years. I also picked up The Hits 1 on CD at a car boot sale, but you're right, it is rare to find anything by him. I have seen other copies of Purple Rain at car boot's, but I can't think of anything else, as I'm sure I would have bought it, and I don't think I've ever seen any Prince vinyl at a charity shop.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I think it's fair to say that some folks are cashing in on the revival of vinyl. However, for the most part I still think it's good value, even if bought new. The record buying season (for me) is about to start, as I tend to buy when I'm away on breaks in Devon. There's this particular shop in Teignmouth that stocks the kind of music I like, and sold at very reasonable prices. The guy usually does me a deal if I buy several. On average I probably pay around £3 per record, not bad. I think we've become so used to getting our music on the cheap, that it seems expensive to pay £15 for a record.

TrevC

The_Lhc said:
Edbo2 said:
I have resisted but I am sold on vinyl. Just visited our local charity shop and there are racks of vintage vinyl which no doubt is not available on CD or streaming services.

Well you might be surprised what is available on streaming services (not that I use them) but that's only a benefit if you actually like that sort of "vintage" music. If you have found something you like though, get in quick, seems to me most charity shops are catching on and the prices, even for crap, are climbing.

New vinyl certainly isn't cheap, £120 for three albums and a single I paid this week! One of the albums was 65 quid on its own though but that's Record Store Day for you now...

I have an extensive LP collection but I don't see the point of buying new vinyl unless you are a collector. It can't be for sound quality reasons.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

If you've got the time to keep posting your opinions on here, you've got the time to do a little research.

In all the time I've been posting on forums, that has to be the daftest comment I've ever read. Well done.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

In all the time I've been posting on forums, that has to be the daftest comment I've ever read. Well done.

Really? You should spend more time on here, this forum is full of stupid comments.

In the 5 minutes it took you to write the above comment, you could've read through 2 or 3 pages. I'd say it's more 'daft' to keep making comments like 'The days of buying valuable old vinyl for peanuts are gone.' without researching whether that is indeed true, or atleast has a basis in fact. It's just your opinion, and that thread proves that's all it is.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm staggered by the surge in 'vinyl' interest.

The quality of vinyl pressings sound quality is and was very inconsistent.

As bad as CD infact but with the faff and extra cost.

I don't get it......!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
The_Lhc said:
Edbo2 said:
I have resisted but I am sold on vinyl. Just visited our local charity shop and there are racks of vintage vinyl which no doubt is not available on CD or streaming services.

Well you might be surprised what is available on streaming services (not that I use them) but that's only a benefit if you actually like that sort of "vintage" music. If you have found something you like though, get in quick, seems to me most charity shops are catching on and the prices, even for crap, are climbing.

New vinyl certainly isn't cheap, £120 for three albums and a single I paid this week! One of the albums was 65 quid on its own though but that's Record Store Day for you now...

I have an extensive LP collection but I don't see the point of buying new vinyl unless you are a collector. It can't be for sound quality reasons.

Really? Why not?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thompsonuxb said:

I don't get it......!

I like the faff, and it's very rare I spend more than 2 or 3 quid on any one record, so it's not a massive extra cost for me.

The price of 2nd hand CDs is rock bottom, so you should be happy with your format of choice, and not worry about us vinyl lovers spending too much. *smile*

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

I don't get it......!

Luckily nobody asked for your opinion, so there's no great loss...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
gpi said:
They are a business with overheads so I have no concerns about them pricing records at market value. Why should you get a bargain on a rare record just because it's a charity shop? As for 'a man' going in to take all the good records and putting steep prices on the rest, that's nonsense IMO.

Who said anything about rare? I'm talking about things you usually see dumped, 70s greatest hits etc for £7.99 If its the market value then thats my point its too expensive now. Why pay almost as much for old used vinyl as new, does not make sense to me.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:

Really? You should spend more time on here, this forum is full of stupid comments.

I won't be spending much more time on here. I've tried again but have been quickly met with daft comments from entrenched members who cannot tolerate anyone having opposing views.

[/quote]

In the 5 minutes it took you to write the above comment, you could've read through 2 or 3 pages. I'd say it's more 'daft' to keep making comments like 'The days of buying valuable old vinyl for peanuts are gone.' without researching whether that is indeed true, or atleast has a basis in fact. It's just your opinion, and that thread proves that's all it is.

[/quote]

I stand by my comment and stated previously where I believe bargains can still be had, i.e. joblots and the odd house clearance. Even joblots attract a lot of bidders and high prices these days; much more than they used to. People know that vinyl is very popular again so nothing is given away anymore. Of course this is all my opinion, which is what forums are for - for people to express their personal opinions. If the clique cannot accept that I'll leave you to it.

I'm a music and vinyl lover, not a bargain lover. When I talk about my vinyl colelction, I talk about the music, not boast what it cost in an Oxfam shop.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Bradley747 said:
Id say there has never been a better time to buy CDs...

seems ca. 6-8GBP gets you a new CD regardless of age or genre...

Or 120GBP per year gets you all the albums in the world...

pays ya money ya takes ya choice

Why pay £120? Anyway its not all the albums, there are plenty missing even by some of the top groups/artists and that is probably growing as more take theirs off streaming.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
gpi said:
Near me there's a record fair once a month or so and ever time I go I come away with nothing because I already own all the decent titles and the rest is unknown (to me) rubbish.

Just because you don't knowit, doesn't mean it's rubbish. Quite a lot of the most valuable records are by artist most people haven't heard of, but they are desired because they are great records, that were criminally ignored when they were released.

For example? Name three albums I've missed over the years.

I don't know what you know or don't, but you're the one that said "unknown (to me) rubbish". Unknown doesn't mean rubbish. it just means you don't know it. I've probably got 100s of records that you've never heard of, but I doubt you've got 100s that I've never heard of. If I'm wrong. I'll apologise, I just doubt that I am wrong.

Here's 3 off the top of my head.

Solex - Solex vs The Hitmeister

Slint - Spiderland

Jazz-Hip Trio - Jazz In Relief

All rubbish to me. I could cut them up into some artworks. I've seen that done with 50p bargain bin records before.

TrevC

The_Lhc said:
TrevC said:
The_Lhc said:
Edbo2 said:

Really? Why not?

Because the vinyl cutting and replaying processes degrade the sound quality, not to mention the limitations of the medium itself, signal to noise ratio, dynamic range, distortion all worse than a CD.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Edbo2 said:

Charity shops are a good source for classical vinyl, much of which has been carefully looked after by the previous owner/s. I got some fantastic material from said shops. - Can't say the same about Rock, they're usually trashed. -

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
The_Lhc said:
TrevC said:
The_Lhc said:
Edbo2 said:

Really? Why not?

Because the vinyl cutting and replaying processes degrade the sound quality, not to mention the limitations of the medium itself, signal to noise ratio, dynamic range, distortion all worse than a CD.

There are some compelling psychoacoustic reasons why some prefer the sound of vinyl, deterioation or not.

There are also folks that prefer compressed decoded material to uncompressed.

Channel 5's Gadget show did a live trial where people were asked to identify and list their preferences on the above, played back through a high quality system and Headphones.

Quite a few preferred lossy versions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts