neutron 2.1 dac

Karl#

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I've recently bought a Sonus ZP90 and are currently saving to purchase avi Neutron 5 2.1
unsure how good the dac in the Neutron sub is, would i be making a massive difference to the sound by adding a dac to the set up, say Arcam's r-DAC
would the ADM9.1t be a better option would it sound better than a Neutron 2 2.1 plus r-DAC set up?

Thanks

Karl

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
From what I know of the Neutron 5.2.1 system, the built-in DAC is excellent and would not require an additional one.

Obviously a pair of ADM9Ts would cost more (£900 more?) if you required their matching active sub. (I'm assuming you would as you asked about the N5 2.1 system with sub as opposed to just the N5s on their own.)

So it would be essential to listen to both systems and decide if the extra is worth it to you.

Karl#

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Chebby the ADM9T's are a little bit outside my budget, so good to know the Neutron's sub has a decent Dac, i'll probably end up buying the speakers first then follow up with the sub when funds allow.

WinterRacer

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
Karl, if you're after a Neutron 5 based system, you might not want to hang about. I might be wrong, but I think AVI have stopped producing the Neutrons. Probably worth checking with AVI on stock levels and current prices?

BTW, I've got Neutron 5s (no sub) and an ADM9.1 + sub based system (see my system thread) and I think both are excellent.

Karl#

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
thanks winter, i sent them a mail and there selling off whats left so i got the N5s and the sub for £900 i hadnt saved up all the cash so it had to be a credit card job! but given the saving thought it was worth getting in to debt for!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi Karl :)

The N5 2.1 is a fantastic system, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. You get so much for your £900, it's without a doubt the best value hifi system that I've ever heard. If you wanted to put together a traditional seperates hifi system you'd need to spend at least £2-3K to get this kind of sound quality.

Out of interest what's your old hifi system that it's replacing?

Have you ever heard an accurate and uncoloured hifi before?

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
If you wanted to put together a traditional seperates hifi system you'd need to spend at least £2-3K to get this kind of sound quality...

Have you ever heard an accurate and uncoloured hifi before?

Ah, another couple of chapters from the gospel according to AVI. Come on, fella! :)

Have you head many systems between £2-3k? There's quite a difference in price there. I guess your last system was around that mark?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When comparing them to conventional seperates hifi systems £2-3K is honestly not an exageration, if anything I was being conservative.

I'm not saying that nothing can compare with AVI though, I've heard several £1.5-2K active monitor systems (inc. a DAC/pre-amp controller) in pro-audio shops that would easily give my Neutrons's a run for their money in terms of sound quality.

AVI's accurate and uncoloured sound isn't for everyone and the amount treble detail may even come as a shock at first if you're used to a conventional hifi. If you like a warmer sound, exagerated mid-bass or an over bright treble then the AVI's won't be for you. If you prefer a natural and realistic sound without any harshness then AVI speakers should be at the top of you audition list.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
When comparing them to conventional seperates hifi systems £2-3K is honestly not an exageration, if anything I was being conservative.

My point was that there's quite a difference between a 2k and 3k system If you think it sounds like a 3k system why not just say 3k? What 3k systems have you compared it to?

AVI's accurate and uncoloured sound isn't for everyone and the amount treble detail may even come as a shock at first if you're used to a conventional hifi. If you like a warmer sound, exagerated mid-bass or an over bright treble then the AVI's won't be for you. If you prefer a natural and realistic sound without any harshness then AVI speakers should be at the top of you audition list.

Again, that just sounds like something out of a brochure. Or something that someone who's trying to 'convert' someone would say! Why is always AVI people are describing when they make comments like that? I don't go on HDD/AVI forums, I presume you do from the comments on that other thread, but is that how everyone speaks over there or something? :)

WinterRacer said:

Excellent! I shall go read all of that thread. Hopefully a 'normal' description will help me feel that if I were to buy AVI I wouldn't be part of a cult :)

A

Anonymous

bigblue235 said:
Excellent! I shall go read all of that thread. Hopefully a 'normal' description will help me feel that if I were to buy AVI I wouldn't be part of a cult :)

Does this write up help, bigblue235?

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/spendor-sa1-avi-adm-91t

Edit - a version with formatting:

[LINK REMOVED - house rules]

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Thanks, igglebert, that's an interesting read. Much appreciated! While I'm on those forums I may as well have a look around. I see a few familiar names.

Sorry for going OT, OP. I'll open another thread if I have any more questions!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
My point was that there's quite a difference between a 2k and 3k system If you think it sounds like a 3k system why not just say 3k?

Fair point. I suppose what I was trying to say is that you'd need to spend a minimum of £2K to find something to match the N5 2.1 but it could also give most £3K systems a run for their money too.

bigblue235 said:
What 3k systems have you compared it to?.

I've heard lots of different systems at lots of different prices. Naim, Cyrus, Marantz, B&W, Monitor Audio, Acoustic Energy. The list could go on and on...

bigblue235 said:
that just sounds like something out of a brochure. Or something that someone who's trying to 'convert' someone would say! Why is always AVI people are describing when they make comments like that?

Hehe, yeah I can see what you mean. It does read like a brochure. :)

But that is exactly how they sound though - natural, uncoloured and very detailed (similar to ATC). It's definitely not a sound that will suit everybodys tastes. There are many people who prefer hifi's that sound warm or bright or have an exagerated mid-bass hump. Each to their own.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
That's fair enough, thanks :) I'm maybe just overly sceptical as I've read one or two reviews which suggest they're very good but not quite as amazing as often suggested, yet many owners seem to think they're equivalent to conventional equipment worth two to ten times the price.

Their 2.1 system is everything I need at the moment. I can't rip up a flat to put rear cables in, so surround is out at the moment. The fewer boxes the better, as it would suit our new flat. We don't have a CD player here at the mo, just an ATV2. And so on...

The only things putting me off are the stuff that's written by the man and some of his devotees :)

A

Anonymous

Without wanting to be patronising, see past it because the products are exceptionally good value. The amps in the Neutron system are based on the Lab Series amp, so you should get an idea of their quality. The customer service is good too.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
Good to know, thanks. That was something I wasn't sure about, as I felt I was banging my head off a brick wall when I tried to discuss something with Ashley on here a while back. Just seemed like it was his way or no way.

I appreciate their feelings/philosophies about bass, but are the ADM9s really bass light? I probably wouldn't be adding the sub straight away. And would they sound OK with grilles on? They're a bit industrial looking for the missus.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
bigblue235 said:
That's fair enough, thanks :) I'm maybe just overly sceptical as I've read one or two reviews which suggest they're very good but not quite as amazing as often suggested, yet many owners seem to think they're equivalent to conventional equipment worth two to ten times the price.

I think that it's AVI's buisiness model which really sets them apart from most other hifi manufacturers. They manage to offer better value because they have a good quality product and sell them direct rather than through shops which allows the prices to be kept low.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
I think that it's AVI's buisiness model which really sets them apart from most other hifi manufacturers. They manage to offer better value because they have a good quality product and sell them direct rather than through shops which allows the prices to be kept low.

Where are you getting all this brochure speak from? Is it a brochure? :)

If AVI's business model is such that they're offering the consumer savings by selling direct, how can retailers shops sell them at the same price? Don't Audiologica sell ADM9Ts at £1099?

There are other direct-sales speaker manufacturers who are similarly hyped: SVS, BK, Teufel, XTZ. I like the look of the XTZ ribbon tweeter stuff too, but I'd need to buy blind, so I'd feel better if the mag had reviewed them.

Karl#

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow these little speakers do tend to create debate dont they!

Anyway got them set up last night and i have to say i love them, i'm no hifi expert and i'm not able to describe the way they sound in hifi speak! apart from they drag up up so much more detail then i'm used to from my very old Marantz CD67se and matching amp with Tanoy mercury M1 speakers, by the way i bought that system based on a What-hifi review about 8 years ago and they've done me very well over the years.

I get what some posters have said on various threads, and they wont be for everyone but i'm more than satisfied, they do offer a very clear and to my ears a very refreshing sound, just makes you want to go through you entire collection to see how it sounds with the new set up.

Only had chance to play a couple of cds last night before i went out, i put on Portishead's Dummy and Depeche Mode Violator and was very happy with my purchase, i was over the moon with they way these discs sounded.

Are they as good as a set up 10 times the price as has been said in the past or as good as a 3k system, i dont know i havent heard systems at that price, but all i can say is thay for £900 its money well spent.

Regards

Karl

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts