Need Advice o Nait 5i, Kefs, Proacs and Focals

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm in the process of buying a new amplifier. Right now I'm running Arcam A18 with Kef iQ30s, decent setup but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm thinking of upgrading my amplifier to a Nait 5i either running the Kef iQ30s or Focal 706v. However, I can't demo the setup so I'm running blind.

My other option is sticking with the Arcam A18 and switching out the Kefs for Proac 110. The issue is I can get either a new amp or a set of speakers, can't upgrade both for the time being.

Need help deciding :)

Also, will the Nait 5i run my Technics SL220 turntable? I noticed that the Nait 5i does not have a grounding option.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Not that easy to advise without knowing your taste, what sound that you're trying to achieve, and what music you listen to. Have you heard the Naim sound, which isn't for everybody?

If it was me, I would get the Proacs, and then at a later date, when funds allow, get an amp that has a bit more "spark", while still remaining musical (Leema Pulse, MF M3i, Electrocompaniet PI-1).

You could also get one of the Leema Pulses that are on offer at Sevenoaks, and sort speakers (like Proac) at a later date.

Arcam + Focal are also a good mix.

More questions than answers I'm afraid, but it might help the decision making process.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. Well, I listen to mostly Prog rock, rock, metal, and jazz.

My biggest issue with Naim 5i is the phono stage. Hence I'm thinking of sticking with upgrading speakers. I have very few choices where I live, Kef XQ series (XQ10, 20), Focal 800 series, and Proac 110s. These are the only bookshelves that are currently available. One thing I've noticed with the Focal 706v is that they are a bit on the brighter side compared to my Kef iQ30s. The issue I have with the Kef iQ30s is that although they sound warm, they are still pretty light on the bass. I want to hear tight lows but not the thumping kind. It is a possibility that my Arcam A18 is not the right choice amp.

Let me point out that the Arcam A18 and Kef iQ30s have spent aobut 45hours together.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you can consider a floorstander, you might be able to find a pair of IQ9/IQ90 or even IQ7/IQ70.......similar presentation but with more scale.

I used to have the IQ9s with an Arcam, and it sounded great to my ears. They have very well controlled bass and may be suitable if you can find some (and you don't have a very small room).

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately none of the older iQ series is available. As far as floor standers go, I can get the 714v, or the Kef q900s but I feel my room isn't big enough for them. What system are you running right now?

heresiarh said:
Unfortunately none of the older iQ series is available. As far as floor standers go, I can get the 714v, or the Kef q900s but I feel my room isn't big enough for them. What system are you running right now?

I've demo'd the 714V and the previous 714 which was known then as JM Lab Focal. Both are a wonderful match with Arcam - so much so I was that ___ far away from buying a pair.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't exactly describe the 706V's as being "bright" but they do pretty faithfully reproduce what they're given.

They're pretty unforgiving speakers when it comes to harsh or bright recordings, but when they work with the right recording I find them a truly wonderful listen.

They are very open and detailed, have a really good soundstage, and a great tight, punchy bass with no "thump" which to my ears hits just the right balance. And a big
plus for me
they're great for low volume listening.

Through no fault of the speakers - blame the production on certain CD's - I've gone back to my Lektor's for a while (well, quite a while actually!), but they are a popular recommendation on a number of places with both Arcam and NAD. Intend to dig them back out again sometime but can't be bothered with the room change at the mo!

A

Anonymous

Hmmmm. Don't get me wrong, I am tempted to give the 714v a try. However, I would love to hear the Proacs as well and space wise they make more sense. However I read somewhere that floor standers are easy to drive than stand mounts and I feel the Arcam A18 might be better off with something like 714v.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
My 2 channel is Musical Fidelity AMS 35i + Kef Refs.

Do you have access to other Q series (eg. 300 or 500), and try them at home?

Your other option is to get a little sub (eg. BK Gemini), and keep what you have.

A

Anonymous

Before we go any further, I mostly listen to LPs on my Technics SL220 turntable. Once in a blue moon I will pop in a cd or listen to my iPod connected through the amp. So basically LPs are the main sound source.

A

Anonymous

I do have access to Q300s and I can try them at home. I had thought about a sub and the ones available here are the RELs which cost a lot.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers said:
I wouldn't exactly describe the 706V's as being "bright" but they do pretty faithfully reproduce what they're given. They're pretty unforgiving speakers when it comes to harsh or bright recordings, but when they work with the right recording I find them a truly wonderful listen. They are very open and detailed, have a really good soundstage, and a great tight, punchy bass with no "thump" which to my ears hits just the right balance. And a big plus for me they're great for low volume listening. Through no fault of the speakers - blame the production on certain CD's - I've gone back to my Lektor's for a while (well, quite a while actually!), but they are a popular recommendation on a number of places with both Arcam and NAD. Intend to dig them back out again sometime but can't be bothered with the room change at the mo!

Well, if I'm listening to LPs then we know that the sound source will hardly ever be perfect. My LPs are usually pretty old and have only a few remastered LPs.

A

Anonymous

Sizzers said:
I wouldn't exactly describe the 706V's as being "bright" but they do pretty faithfully reproduce what they're given. They're pretty unforgiving speakers when it comes to harsh or bright recordings, but when they work with the right recording I find them a truly wonderful listen. They are very open and detailed, have a really good soundstage, and a great tight, punchy bass with no "thump" which to my ears hits just the right balance. And a big plus for me they're great for low volume listening. Through no fault of the speakers - blame the production on certain CD's - I've gone back to my Lektor's for a while (well, quite a while actually!), but they are a popular recommendation on a number of places with both Arcam and NAD. Intend to dig them back out again sometime but can't be bothered with the room change at the mo!

Well, if I'm listening to LPs then we know that the sound source will hardly ever be perfect. My LPs are usually pretty old and have only a few remastered LPs.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you find Focal to "forward" with Arcam and a TT, then I'd stay clear.

Try to get a listen to both the Q300s and the Proacs at home.....FWIW I prefer the Proacs, but you need to hear them on the end of the Arcam.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
heresiarh said:
I have very few choices where I live, Kef XQ series (XQ10, 20), Focal 800 series, and Proac 110s.

The issue I have with the Kef iQ30s is that although they sound warm, they are still pretty light on the bass.

i haven't heard your kefs, nor any focals, but when i heard the proac 110s, while a very likeable speaker, i did think the bass was a touch on the light side and the treble just a little too prominent. they'd probably match better with your kit than the roksan i had at the time though...

heresiarh said:
Hmmmm. Don't get me wrong, I am tempted to give the 714v a try. However, I would love to hear the Proacs as well and space wise they make more sense. However I read somewhere that floor standers are easy to drive than stand mounts and I feel the Arcam A18 might be better off with something like 714v.

All Focals are around 90db, regardless of standmounted or floorstanders. Any speaker above 86db should be suitable to Arcam (PMC, Monitor Audios, Focals, Kefs, ProAcs...).

A

Anonymous

That is a fact I did not know. That just might be the key.

I will be bringing the speakers home today but I'm pretty sure that they won't give me the complete experiecne since they have not been run in. I heard Proacs need 200hours and the Q300s between 60-80. Lets see what happens.

A

Anonymous

Alright, so I did something ... I walked into my local dealer's shop and instead of checking out the Kef iQ30s and Proac110's, I picked up the ProAc Stuio 100's in cherry finish. They are connected at home right now running the Isotek run in CD.

Currently I'm running the following setup:

Arcam A18 Integrated Amp

Technics SL 220 Turntable with Shure cartridge

Onkyo SACD DV-SP504E

ProAc Studio 100

QED Signature Audio Interconnect

QED Performance Audio J2P

QED Silver Anniversary XTUBE Biwiring.

Did I do something wrong? Eventually I will add a P38 poweramp and switch out the Onkyo SACD for either a Naim CDi5 or Arcam CD37.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
heresiarh said:
Alright, so I did something ... I walked into my local dealer's shop and instead of checking out the Kef iQ30s and Proac110's, I picked up the ProAc Stuio 100's in cherry finish. They are connected at home right now running the Isotek run in CD.

Currently I'm running the following setup:

Arcam A18 Integrated Amp

Technics SL 220 Turntable with Shure cartridge

Onkyo SACD DV-SP504E

ProAc Studio 100

QED Signature Audio Interconnect

QED Performance Audio J2P

QED Silver Anniversary XTUBE Biwiring.

Did I do something wrong? Eventually I will add a P38 poweramp and switch out the Onkyo SACD for either a Naim CDi5 or Arcam CD37.

Have you bought the Proacs or are they on demo?

I think you are on the right track, and I also think an Arcam power amp at a later stage is a good idea.

Can you report back on how it sounds......good and bad.

A

Anonymous

The entire system I just listed has been 100% paid for ... I just hope I made the right decision. Right now I'm busy with the Isotek CD so have to give it atleast 60-80hrs before enjoying some Pink Floyd. Will definitely report back.

I also think P38 will be an excellent edition to my setup later on. A newer SACD player can wait since my main source of music are LPs. The only thing thats bothering me from various forum discussions is that the ProAc Studio 100s are definitely better than the 110s but need heftier amplification and lets face it, Arcam A18 is on the lighter side. Lets see how all of this pans out.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The only problem that I would have is possibly the Cables, as QED can sound a bit on the bright side. If this proves to be the case, get on to the dealer and see what else they do in an "all copper" cable.

After the power amp has been sorted, I think your next spend should be to upgrade the TT (not that I'm telling you what to do ;) )

You have the makings of a very musical system.

Good luck

Cno

A

Anonymous

I do agree about the cables, however I think the warmness of the arcam might solve that problem.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
heresiarh said:
I do agree about the cables, however I think the warmness of the arcam might solve that problem.

Big Chris has Arcam gear, and switched QED for Atlas and was pleased with the result here:
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/atlas-hyper-20-conundrum-what-would-you-do?page=4#comment-2647882

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
heresiarh said:

Big Chris has Arcam gear, and switched QED for Atlas and was pleased with the result here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/atlas-hyper-20-conundrum-what-would-you-do?page=4#comment-2647882

I will definitely have to talk to my dealer about the cables. As for a new TT, I'm going for the Thorens TD 160HD. I used to have a Thorens TD 160 the older model but it died on me, hence I'm using the Technics for now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts