Need a new solid state power amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have finally given up on my Graaf Gm100 Valv power amp as it is so unreliable and would appreciate any thoughts on replacements I shoudl consider. After my experiences with the Graaf I want to avoid valve amps, but still love the sound of valves, so am looking for something in solid state with a natural "valve" feel to it.

My system consists of a Wadia 860X GNSC Statement CD player with built-in Pre amp and Acoustic Energy AE5 Reference speakers. Interconnects are Nordost Red Dawn XLR, speaker cables are Townshend Isolda and I have an Isotek Vision 2 mains conditioner.

I need a power amp with enough power for the AE5s. I am looking at spending in the region of £3000. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Sugden A21a Series 2 or A21SE.

Both are pure class A solid state and of legendary status having been made for about 45 years.

They are available with or without phono stages and range from about £1600 for the A21a

Their Masterclass series is too expensive given your budget. (£4100 for the IA4 integrated.) But maybe you might look around for an ex-demo model.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the thoughts, but not after an integrated amp. Just a power amp

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Pretty tricky question you have put over Jimmy and a hard one to answer convincingly. Shame about the Graff as they are nice amps indeed and finding solid state power with tube attributes is tricky but it has been done.

Firstly though a pure solid state in the Plinius P10. With power ratings of 200 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms,300 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms and with the AE5 rated impedance of 6 ohms should bode well. Highly transparent and detailed can mix it with the best in that price range but can be a bit lively so an audition home or otherwise would be advisable.

Secondly a hybrid solid/valve amp in the Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 300 power amp. I dont know how you feel about pre owned items but it could give you the sound you are after. It has the attributes of a solid with bags of power (up to 1000 watts into a 2 ohm load) and enough to drive the 4 way AE5 with the sound of a valve. But don't be put off just yet by the valve aspect as each valve has a life expectancy of 100'000 hours.(I only know this as i use a Nu-Vista 3D CD player) The 300 power has been around for over 10 years and only 500 made of each Nu-Vista item (nice little club) and has had some great reviews in the past which can be found online. I have seen them come up for sale now and then and the all silver is better looking than the silver and gold in my opinion. Musical Fidelity also do a fine tune service and you can view the service and the price on their website. A pre owed 300 power and service (with warranty) would come within budget with some change.

Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Thanks shooter. Hadn't thought of the Nu Vistas. I have no trouble with buying second hand, like cars, I sometimes struggle with buying new and watching the thing drop in value immediately anyway. I will have a dig around and see if I can find one to try.

seasiders rock

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Also consider the Lyngdorf SDA2175.

As smooth as an otters cod piece, 200 RMS into 8 Ohms, 375 into 4 Ohms.

Very, very musical, no grain or harshness and has clout, ask my neighbours.

They do come up second hand and are a bargain, google and read the reveiws.
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS