Neat Motive 2 vs Spendor A6

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm interested in your opinions on the sonic merits of these two speakers. Basically, I'm looking to upgrade my speakers from BW CDM1SE (about 10 years old). I have aDensen CD420 and original Roksan caspian integrated amp. I use Nordost cables. Mostly I listen to classical and am looking for greater detail and smoothness, with good soundstage and depth. My room is roughly 12ft by 9ft and although I currently have standmounts, I'm interested in these small-type floorstanders. I welcome your responses.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I've never heard the neat's, but I own the A6's (for about 2 weeks now). I'm going to post my impressions soon, I'm just waiting until I have a free hour. Check back if you're interested...

A

Anonymous

Totems might be a thought. Good with classical. There's also the Sonus Faber range, which are to classical music what Stradivarius is to violins. They match pretty well with Densens, too.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I currently own a pair of Motive 2's- connected to a Roksan intergrated amp. These are by far the best speakers I have ever owned. I totally recommend them to you. They have amazing timing & dynamics & since you listen to classical- great depth (you will be amazed at these small floorstanders), detail(oh there is plenty) & smoothness are part of the package. Have a listen to the neats if you can before purchasing & you will fall in love with them, guaranteed!!!

Hope this helps at bit :)

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
I loved my motives 2 Cracking speakers, however i dont think they are as good as the A6 from what my friends have told me. I have not heard the A6s my self yet so cant pass judgment.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Owning the Neat Motive 3's i beleive this company make fantastic value speakers.

I think i am right in saying though that Spendor A6 are nearly twice the price of the Neat Motive 2 so i would hope they are better overall. However whether they are worth the price difference to you would take a demo i think.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
i used bel canto gear with my motives 2 and they were great...

Yeah i agree the A6 would have to be amazing to justify the price tag over the neats.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
I use a Roksan Kandy LIII intergrated amp, Arcam CD93- currently using the carnival silverscreen bi-wire, but I think I could do with chord's odyssey or rumour 4.

A

Anonymous

My advice would be to demo them both with your own equipment. I recently done this when upgrading my speakers and I'm glad I did as I was quite surprised at the differences of all the speakers.

I also have a Caspian amp and Arcam CD and use Chord cabling and the best I heard were the A6's, closley followed by the A5's. I demoed the Motive 1's but they weren't to my tastes but couldn't demo the 2's so can't comment on them (consensus seems to be that they sound better than the 1's anyway). However I don't listen to classical music so this could make a big difference to you.

The A6's are a fairly large speaker, much larger than the Motive 2's, so you might want to bear this in mind. Given the size of your room the Spendor A5's, which are only slighty larger than the Motive 2's, might suit you better. You should also give the Epos M18's a listen as they are a lot of speaker for the money and they are also a pretty compact floorstander.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Spacehopper. Did you buy the Spendor A6 in the end? I take your point about the A5's being more appropriate. What other small floorstanders did you consider? What did you actually end up with in the end?

A

Anonymous

cse:Spacehopper. Did you buy the Spendor A6 in the end? I take your point about the A5's being more appropriate. What other small floorstanders did you consider? What did you actually end up with in the end?

CSE,

Sorry I did ramble a bit there. In the end I went for the Spendor A6 but I had a side by side demo of both Spendor models and there wasn't an awful lot between them - both are amazing. The A6's, to my ears, have a better soundstage but it will depend on what you use to run them with as the guy in the shop preferred the A5's up until he heard the A6's through my Roksan Caspian. The only other smaller floorstander I demo'd was the Epos M18 which are very good also. The main thing I found when looking at speakers is just how different they all sound to each other so demoing is essential and a good way to spend an afternoon or ten !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts