Neat Sound

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
I have got a system I think I am pretty happy with (most of the time) and really like the engaging / punchy sound the Neat Motive 3’s give. The system as a whole is nicely balanced I would say and very importantly sounds very dynamic and listenable at low listening levels.

So I should leave well alone and probably will for the time being..... but............

If I was to upgrade in the future I would be looking for same sound presentation but greater scale / detail. Perhaps little more presence.
I would only be looking at a speaker upgradea s don't want to change anything else and probably EBAY / second hand neat standmount speakers. IE taking a bit of a chance if something comes up!
Would the Petite 3 or Petite SX give the same as the Motive 3s with increased scale/detail? Do they have a different sonic signature to the Motives?

Be great to hear thoughts from anyone hearing both speakers before or if upgraded.

One other thought I have is if the rest of my system would be good enough for such speaker upgrade?

Cheers
Ambrose

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I think you probably need to demo really..

Im gutted had my neat motive 3 at home for a few days and they just were too bassy, on demo at my hifi shop they sounded amazing!

I reluctantly had to exchange them for the Rega RS1..... Now they sound fantastic in my room....

If ever I move house and have a better room sonically then I would love to give the Neat another go!

So my advice..HOME DEMO

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
this problem is well known. At home everything sounds different as on demo at your hifi shop.

Therefore you should alway tell the sales people what size your room has and how close you will place the speakers to a wall.

It is one reason why I chose the Neat Elite SX and not any other speaker which sounded better in the shop ( Sonus faber or Naim S 400 ) but would have been too bassy at home.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I think you probably need to demo really..

Im gutted had my neat motive 3 at home for a few days and they just were too bassy, on demo at my hifi shop they sounded amazing!

I reluctantly had to exchange them for the Rega RS1..... Now they sound fantastic in my room....

If ever I move house and have a better room sonically then I would love to give the Neat another go!

So my advice..HOME DEMO

Funny, I was other way around with speakers. Tried Rega RS1 and liked them but ended up getting Neat Motives. Both great speakers but for the room the Neats packed a bigger punch.

It's just a temptation really. Always nice to dream a little, might even become reality but no chance of affording full price for Petite speakers at the moment.

Nice to hear what other opinions are however as is part of the fun with this hobby.

Thanks

Ambrose

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
kungula said:
this problem is well known. At home everything sounds different as on demo at your hifi shop.

Therefore you should alway tell the sales people what size your room has and how close you will place the speakers to a wall.

It is one reason why I chose the Neat Elite SX and not any other speaker which sounded better in the shop ( Sonus faber or Naim S 400 ) but would have been too bassy at home.

I bet the Supernait and Elite SX are delicious :clap:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I was very lucky, Doug Brady hifi let me take the Neat back and borrow the Regas for a week to demo. Excellent shop too, the guys there are really proper enthusiasts and not there to make a fast buck!

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
Ambrose said:
kungula said:

I bet the Supernait and Elite SX are delicious :clap:

Certainly are! :bounce:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I can't really comment on the Neats, but if you want alternative brands to try, I would put forward Kef R series, PMC Twenty series, Usher and Focal.....all of which give a lively, detailed and fun presentation.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
It was the recommendation of my dealer although my budget was much higher. In my eyes an honest dealer as he sells also speakers which cost as much as a small car. ( Pro Ac D 100, Dynaudio Sapphire, Naim Ovator S 600 just to mention some ).

And the Neat work well with Naim too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts