Neat Motive 2 or... ?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.. before I'll go for an audition I'd love to hear your opinion.. looking for pair of speakers ( no sub) with better bass response than my Q300. Budget around £1000, possibly bit more. So far I shortlisted Neat Motive 2 and Rega RS5.

Tricky one. Those Q300s seem a fine match, pricewise, with the Marantz. Could try Kef R300 along with Epos newest incarnations. That said I would be fairly reluctant to speand around £1000 on a £300 amp.

On the other hand, if you do want to shell out that money, and fancy something a little different, try and hunt down MonoPulse 32S floorstanders. I'm a huge fan of their sonics but aesthetics leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.monopulse.co.uk/models.html

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
... forgot to mention... as future amp upgrade I'm looking into Accuphase E-260 or E-360 with DAC chip [ another route Naim SuperUniti] so the speakers I'll buy now must have great synergy with these.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
btw.. these MonoPulse seems to have impressive frequency response ! and the price right. I wonder if I can audition them somwhere in midlands?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Bass is do with driver and cabinet size mainly. I would not have thought the Neats are the best, the Epos floorstanders have plenty of bass and cost £750, just be careful with bass some of these speakers need plenty of space or will be boomy. I feel your amp is not really up to it, it would be best to choose the amp and speakers together if possible.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm aware of the cost of Accuphase amp :) but don't think i can get speakers and amp at the same time... I know it would be ideal...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:
I'm aware of the cost of Accuphase amp :) but don't think i can get speakers and amp at the same time... I know it would be ideal...

No but you can choose them and then buy when you can, does not make much sense buying some speakers for £800 and then spending £2,000 on an amp. Some cheaper speakers work with expensive amps such as KEF LS50s.

What sort of volume do you want?

A lot of high end gear is sold for about half the original new price so you may want to look around for some, if you can get an Accupase for £1,000 that maybe the way to go. Why Accuphase have you heard one?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I probably should ask for an advice: which speakers goes great with Accuphase:)

I used to listen at all volumes to be honest, depending from mood.. from very quiet to really loud.

The budget I've for speakers now can go up to £1500, but if buying amp got more sense.... if I'm going to buy something and that something it's really worth to reach deeper in to account, I don't think twice:)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
lpv said:

No but you can choose them and then buy when you can, does not make much sense buying some speakers for £800 and then spending £2,000 on an amp. Some cheaper speakers work with expensive amps such as KEF LS50s.

What sort of volume do you want?

A lot of high end gear is sold for about half the original new price so you may want to look around for some, if you can get an Accupase for £1,000 that maybe the way to go. Why Accuphase have you heard one?

Yes. I've heard one many times at my friend house.. every time I'm on holiday in his part of the world I'm almost not leaving his room... haha

I've been looking at second hand, but never found one with Dac chip.

lpv said:

I used to listen at all volumes to be honest, depending from mood.. from very quiet to really loud.

The budget I've for speakers now can go up to £1500, but if buying amp got more sense.... if I'm going to buy something and that something it's really worth to reach deeper in to account, I don't think twice:)

Have a read: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/accuphase-e350

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Q300s will work better with your Marantz, but if you're going to change the amp at a later date, I wouldn't worry about the synergy between the 6004 and whichever speakers you go for. As mentioned, if you're definitely going for a specific amp, go and audition speakers with that amplifier, and decide on what you want to end up with long term. Te Marantz may not suit your speaker choice, and you might need to be a little reserved with the volume depending on your speaker choice, but that's better than trying to find a speaker that suits the Marantz and the Accuphase.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lpv said:

Thats makes more sense. What speakers dose your friend have. Seems like Harbeths go well but its a question of taste, speakers make more difference to the sound than amps. As for loud I would discount Neats. You could consider Totems. Spendor and ATC should be OK and Kefs are good.

If I were you I would get the speakers first then either put up with your amp or buy a used amp until you can afford the Accuphase, depends how long it will be until can buy it, may be worth trying some more amps as well.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
If I were you I would get the speakers first then either put up with your amp or buy a used amp until you can afford the Accuphase, depends how long it will be until can buy it, may be worth trying some more amps as well.

This would be my preference too, since your heart's set on the Accuphase. :love:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts