NaimUniti on the BBC....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Steady, it was only a NaimUniti..

You did not have to watch that channel?

A

Anonymous

My guess is its him. Two clues Watson, he joined today to post in response to this thread and he strikes me as a man who would struggle to let half-an-hour go without googling his own name.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Eddie Pound:Think of Lovejoy as Joe Public.

I always think of Lovejoy as

_1439937_lovejoy300.jpg

alanalan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Lovejoy's representative of the public.

That show gets millions of viewers, this forum doesn't.

For years the hifi industry has been snooty and snobbish about who was good enough, expert enough or rich enough to join the club or have an opinion, and now the general public doesn't care. We've driven away the masses. There's no aspirations to own decent hifi in the majority of people. Lovejoy personifies that.

A

Anonymous

Odd how many people are joining the What Hifi forum to comment on this thread.

A

Anonymous

alanalan:
Long time reader, first time poster!

Yeah right.............

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
MENISCUS:Yeah right.............

Meaning?

(MInd you, I'm still trying to get my head round Strangelove's strange - not to say bizarre - comment about my domestic circumstances...)

alanalan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
It's true, I am actually from the bbc. I am junior assistant jumper selector for Mr Lovejoy himself. I'm hoping in a few years I can work my way up to chubby-cocktail-man's glass selector - then I really will have made it!

alanalan

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
Maybe, but you've got to agree that there isn't a huge public appetite for hifi or serious home cinema. Obviously I'm talking about the public at large, not the 'enthusiasts' in this forum.

The people who find the naim uniti interesting are not the people who should be advocating our goods to the public at large because the public will be bored by them.

We need a Clarkson (or a Stig) to communicate with the masses. Once we do that we've got a chance of getting towards a million in the forums. Sadly all we've got at the moment is Jason Bradbury.

A

Anonymous

EDITED BY MODS - please do not discuss moderation

Lets face it the likes of NAD, Linn and Arcam have been making a one-box CD/FM/DAB with iPod docks as all-in-one units for a few years now. So apart from the iRadio, there is nothing new technology wise with the Uniti.

The Uniti does not break new ground, Naim have been using that old swing-out-door for ages, and it seems clear to me that most people who post here seem to like old style audio separate systems, and are very proud to post them in their forum posts.

I cannot think what Naim expected from placing the Uniti on such a strange Sunday show, it's like of trying to sell a expensive music center in a market that seems to be on its way down. Lovejoy's remarks were from someone that does not buy into the idea as he feels he has better, and maybe he does?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Strangelove:

I cannot think what Naim expected from placing the Uniti on such a strange Sunday show ...

I think this is Naim's attempt to capture the imagination of the 'mass' market, perhaps a bit naive in view of the price. In their mind this probably is a product that will appeal to a far wider audience than their separates. Having seen and heard the thing I have to agree. Looks good, sounds good, practical, easy to operate. It would be my choice over the Nait5i/CD5i if I did'nt want the performance (and cost) of the companies better separates.

idc

JohnDuncan:alanalan:That show gets millions of viewers No it doesn't alanalan:this forum doesn't Yeah ok, got me there.

Well are you sure, I quote;

[*]33,306 users have contributed to 145,591 threads and 240,650 posts.
In the past 24 hours, we have 50 new thread(s), 390 new post(s), and 34 new user(s).

So goodness knows how many views there has been, it must be in the millions. There are probably many occasions where someone comes on the forum, searches, gets their answer and goes away happy. I do not think that anyone who wanted to really know about the Naim Uniti would settle for that review and toddle down the shops tomorrow and buy one off the shelf.

A

Anonymous

Well I think it worked, cos now I want one! It looks bang tidy, much better to see kit on a properly shot TV program instead of a photo or youtube vid.

I have never seen Naim in the flesh to this day, no dealers stock it in my ends. Two grand though, PAH!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
That's good marketing value for money then.

Naim probably had to pay £600,000 to the BBC so some orange bloke (who is only there to attract the 50+ female demographic*) can demonstrate his total disinterest in anything that has an 'i' in front of it or plays a CD.

And it results in one (possible) sale.

* Is he the BBC's Sunday morning 'Eoin Mclove'? (Remember Father Ted)....

3481409308_3dcd223c13_o.jpg

Oops sorry...

2039513085a6073393425l.jpg

A

Anonymous

chebby:And it results in one (possible) sale.

Are you insane, I'm not spending TWO GRAND on that! ;)

Point taken, I still enjoyed watching it though

manicm

alanalan:

Maybe, but you've got to agree that there isn't a huge public appetite for hifi or serious home cinema. Obviously I'm talking about the public at large, not the 'enthusiasts' in this forum.

The people who find the naim uniti interesting are not the people who should be advocating our goods to the public at large because the public will be bored by them.

We need a Clarkson (or a Stig) to communicate with the masses. Once we do that we've got a chance of getting towards a million in the forums. Sadly all we've got at the moment is Jason Bradbury.

The NaimUniti is more serious than you'd ever think, just like those who dismiss the HDX, trust me, those who own the HDX are stunned.

TRENDING THREADS