NaimUniti on the BBC....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Skip 1 hour 13 minutes into this to find an introduction of the NaimUniti ......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00k7bln/Something_for_the_Weekend_26_04_2009/

The presentation is sub-Gadget Show (it is possible) and witness the placement of the N-Sat speakers!

Not sure why Naim agreed to it.

The vacuous (male) airhead 'presenter' interjects with revealing insights into his own ignorance and is obviously disgusted with the idea that it plays CDs and the use of the letter 'i' in front of iRadio to denote internet radio.

Frankly I think he was just annoyed that he had to share the couch with someone more attractive and brighter than him for a couple of minutes.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
All publicity is good publicity, I guess. Don't think it was meant to be a critical review, so the speaker positioning probably wasn't crucial, and I think you kind of fell for Tim Lovejoy's efforts to be painfully 'down wit da yoot', which is somewhat at odds with a Sunday morning cooking programme...

A

Anonymous

The price quoted is a lot less than the last Naim price I saw from their catalogue........has it dropped or did they get it wrong?

A

Anonymous

Rips the CDs then gives them away?

Are there any copyright issues there?

idc

It is a brilliant looking piece of kit and now goes very high up my shopping wish list for someone who does not have the space for loads of kit and hates loads of wiring. Is there a serious review programme anywhere on the TV, or have all reviews gone 'chirpy' and 'witty' as opposed to 'critical' and 'informative'?

idc

Eddie Pound:

Doubt it as otherwise how can there be a legal second hand market, including all the CDs donated to charity shops to sell on. I wonder if he has made any backups though?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
idc:It is a brilliant looking piece of kit and now goes very high up my shopping wish list for someone who does not have the space for loads of kit and hates loads of wiring. Is there a serious review programme anywhere on the TV, or have all reviews gone 'chirpy' and 'witty' as opposed to 'critical' and 'informative'?

Not as far as I know.

Maybe there's an opening here for a magazine . . .

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I was tempted for a bit to wait for it's launch but I am already sorted for a DAC and Freeview radio/internet radio etc and the NaimUniti would have been over £500 more than I paid for my Nait 5i/CD5i

Good idea nonetheless.

A

Anonymous

idc:Eddie Pound:

Doubt it as otherwise how can there be a legal second hand market, including all the CDs donated to charity shops to sell on. I wonder if he has made any backups though?

...because he still has the music.

If he's giving away the CDs then he must delete the music from the computer.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard:All publicity is good publicity, I guess. Don't think it was meant to be a critical review, so the speaker positioning probably wasn't crucial, and I think you kind of fell for Tim Lovejoy's efforts to be painfully 'down wit da yoot', which is somewhat at odds with a Sunday morning cooking programme...

The thing is, I mostly like Tim Lovejoy. He usually makes dull things vaguely interesting but here it's the other way around.

idc

Andrew Everard:Was there ever a serious review programme on the TV?

I would say that Tomorrows World with Raymond Baxter and original Top Gear with the likes of Chris Goffey were a very good combination of gravitas and entertainment and would count as serious reviews. Then there are the What Hifi Videos, they should be on TV as a programme, with you as the main presenter.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
idc:I would say that Tomorrows World with Raymond Baxter and original
Top Gear with the likes of Chris Goffey were a very good combination of
gravitas and entertainment

Agreed: bring back Biggles and James Burke, and Angela Rippon and William Woollard.

idc:Then there are the What Hifi Videos, they should be on TV as a programme, with you as the main presenter

Pass...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think he would have to be witnessed ripping CDs and throwing/giving them away for there to be a legal case. (Even then it is likely the Beeb's legal department would have covered their collective 'behinds' and paid the necessary royalties before the programme went out.)

idc

Eddie Pound:idc:Eddie Pound:

...because he still has the music.

If he's giving away the CDs then he must delete the music from the computer.

I am not sure of the answer, but I doubt he would have FACT after him as he at least bought it in the first place. From the FACT website; http://www.fact-uk.org.uk/site/criminal_justice/patact.htm and the legislation does not appear to cover him giving it away especially since he is not acting as a business.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure HR, Health & Safety and the relevant legal departments were fully consulted, disclaimers and waivers signed, and the respective checks and safeguards put in place before Tim Lovejoy was allowed to make his off the cuff remarks.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I'm sure HR, Health & Safety and the relevant legal departments were fully consulted, disclaimers and waivers signed, and the respective checks and safeguards put in place before Tim Lovejoy was allowed to make his off the cuff remarks.

I guess that explains the positioning of the 'speakers. Because he had to look away from the autocue - in the direction of the gear and the other presenter - the script was written on the side of the nearest N-Sat.

What is slightly disturbing is the fact that every presenter has exactly the same teeth and tan (and hair colour where they have hair)....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/images/progbrand/b006v85g_314_176.jpg

Enough to bring my breakfast up on a Sunday morning!

A

Anonymous

Tim Lovejoy did nothing wrong, he got bored with the "I" in front of everything simply because he did not understand the technology of streaming internet radio. He went into panic mode and changed the subject fast and came back with a negative about the name just to change the subject quick and mask the fact that he did not understand or just got bored. Watch it again it is very clear.

He was right to be bored the whole unit if he is happy with downloading and ripping CD's, it clearly is what a lot of people do now. Face the facts; in the UK in 2007 we had 845 independent record shops, now its just 304. The truth is that in 2009 most people don't care about CD.

If he can get an album at anytime of the week via downloading, and play it to a degree that he is happy with then why should he be impressed with a Naim Uniti for 2K? He did not need the CD player? Why should he be expected to pay another £99 for the "ilead" to make the only thing he is interested in work?

A

Anonymous

Strangelove:
Tim Lovejoy did nothing wrong, he got bored with the "I" in front of everything simply because he did not understand the technology of streaming internet radio. He went into panic mode and changed the subject fast and came back with a negative about the name just to change the subject quick and mask the fact that he did not understand or just got bored. Watch it again it is very clear.

He was right to be bored the whole unit if he is happy with downloading and ripping CD's, it clearly is what a lot of people do now. Face the facts; in the UK in 2007 we had 845 independent record shops, now its just 304. The truth is that in 2009 most people don't care about CD.

If he can get an album at anytime of the week via downloading, and play it to a degree that he is happy with then why should he be impressed with a Naim Uniti for 2K? He did not need the CD player? Why should he be expected to pay another £99 for the "ilead" to make the only thing he is interested in work?

I don't really understand this post. You explain how he did nothing wrong by explaining that someone who was meant to be helping review something did not understand it, tried to hide that behind cynical bluff about terminology, and say this is all "very clear". Well yes, it is very clear but the point your trying to make isn't.

A

Anonymous

I think Strangelove makes a good point.

Think of Lovejoy as Joe Public. He downloads his music and uses an iPod. Why does this thing cost £2,000? Why doesn't that include loudspeakers? Does he have to pay extra to connect his iPod? That's his main source.

idc

Charlie Jefferson:Re: copyright of CDs etc Lighten up, folks. Pedantry doesn't rock.

Eddie and I just had a little aside about copyright, a topic which I find interesting, as do many others, witness the recent post on the Pirate Bay illegal file sharing site. It was as much a comment about the 'throw-a-way' comments made by the presenter. He was unpleasantly critical rather than constructively critical about the Unity IMO.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts