Naim uniti or not

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Well ive finally been given the green light to splash the cash. Ive had my eye on a naim uniti as i like the one box idea and the great list of features but now that im in a position to buy ive been thinking is it the best road to go down. Given ive the budget for the uniti, i thought i could possibly get the nait xs with the cd5i or should i wait and save for the cd xs. I will be looking at going down the ex dem route and will be keeping my rega r3 speakers and dacmagic(spotify). Iknow the nait xs amp might be overkill for the speakers but these can always be upgraded in the future or should i be looking at the 5i amp/cd. I will of course be arranging a demo but just wanted some thoughts from the other naim users on here.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
For me, the Uniti's main appeal is that it fits into my small study where my home computer is situated and where space is a constraint. I would have loved to go down the separates route but I just don't have the room, and so I went for the best possible all-in-one I could find.

I'm very happy with the results (my Uniti is currently paired mainly with an Elac BS243 and sometimes with a PMC DB1i) because listening levels are low to moderate and hardly ever exceed 40 on the volume control (100 being the max), but if you have the funds and the space, then slowly building a separates system will surely give better sound.

John Duncan

There's no doubt that the XS pair would give you a better sound, but only you could judge whether the 50% uplift in price would be worthwhile. I think the Uniti is a wonderful thing, and use it almost exclusively to stream Spotify via an airport express (so you needn't keep your DACMagic). I also suspect it would go very well with the R3s...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd recommend the separate route if you're building a dedicated hi-fi system and want to wering out as much quality as possible, but if it's going to be more of an entertainment centre, the Uniti is great value for money. As John mentions, there's extras like Spotify which will vastly open up your listening experience. Based on that, the Uniti will be more 'fun'. But 'fun' with quality.

This can be done with the XS and CD5i, but you'd need to add a Sonos ZP90.

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for thequick replies guys.Would the xs be ok with cd5i or am i holding the amp back too much. I want something that i can have for years and add to as funds/ brownie points are gained:). I use the dacmagic with my laptop just now for spotify, which is great.

I will demo the 5i amp/cd as well as the xs and uniti

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
Go for the best seperates you possibly can, especially if you plan to keep it for a long time.

I have 'downgraded' in the past to a more convenient set-up, from a full blown Naim pre-power system. It was a mistake and not something that gives long term satisfaction after the novelty, size and convenience of operation have faded.

Th Nait XS will be fine with the speakers and Cd player suggetsted, but will 'survive' upgrades.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stumpy66:Given ive the budget for the uniti, i thought i could possibly get the nait xs with the cd5i or should i wait and save for the cd xs. I will be looking at going down the ex dem route and will be keeping my rega r3 speakers and dacmagic(spotify). Iknow the nait xs amp might be overkill for the speakers but these can always be upgraded in the future or should i be looking at the 5i amp/cd. I will of course be arranging a demo but just wanted some thoughts from the other naim users on here.

The Rega R3s will be fine with any of these combinations.*

If you are going for seperates then the 'choke point' is going to be the DacMagic rather than the speakers.

(Yes I know I am using a £200 Beresford DAC, but I don't expect CD5i/CD5XS levels of performance from it, as it only has to deal with iPlayer radio or 256k AAC downloads at best.)

If you want full-blown lossless downloads/files to sound their best through a Nait XS then you will have to 'raise the game' with your DAC (unless you get the NaimUniti then of course you can sell the DacMagic.)

So my suggestions would be...

Nait XS + CD5XS + much better DAC (+ better speakers at a much later date).

NaimUniti + sell DAC. (Same again with speakers. The R3s are plenty good enough for now.)

I wouldn't bother with a Nait 5i/CD5i unless you had no intention of ever using digitally streamed sources/internet radio/Spotify/FM/DAB etc. The £2100 NaimUniti is pretty close in performance and has all those other nice things thrown in for £2100 and with no clutter.

(I don't have one because NaimUniti's weren't around when I bought my set-up and I got a good deal!)

*I know this because I used Rega R3s for a couple of years (including with my Naim gear for about 8 months), Also I have heard forum user 'True Blue's old Nait XS based system with his Rega R3s too.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Well the "Novelty" hasn't worn off for me yet, 8 months on. In fact I love it more than ever. I don't miss my seperates at all,

Like a previous post I only have a smallish listening room and rarely go above 40 on the volume control so the 50w output is perfect for my situation. I estimate that 60% of my listening is via my PC (FLAC files and Spotify).

One aspect not mentioned yet is the tuner. I never use the FM or DAB, but I've got the Uniti hardwired into my router and listen to all radio stations via the internet. Superb. Radio Paradise, for example, streamed at only 128 kps sounds really good. Linn Radio at 320 kps sounds even better.

As for the cost, £2100? I bought mine 8 months ago and got a 10% discount from the dealer so I think deals can be done to get the cost down.

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
DIB:

Well the "Novelty" hasn't worn off for me yet, 8 months on. In fact I love it more than ever. I don't miss my seperates at all,

Apologies, didn't mean to offend anyone or be dismissive of new technology; the Uniti does sound great and personally I would give and arm and a leg for a new Naim NDX. I still think that the only aspect of a Hi-fi that endures over time is how good it sounds however, and I think that in this case the OP would do better with the XS and other seperates, based on the fact that it needs to last a long time.

Incidentally, my Naim system was 10 years old when I got rid. It still sounded fantastic, and I got nearly half my money back in resale.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Just a short note about upgrading if you decide to get the Uniti.

Naim's website suggests two possibilities - adding the Naim Power-line power cord and a power amp (they suggest the NAP 200). I emailed Naim about the latter and confirmed that you can use the power amp either in bi-amped mode with the Uniti or alone to drive the speakers.

There is a third upgrade possible - adding a subwoofer.

Knowing how canny Naim is about upgrading, I believe that over the years, anyone who pursues each option separately will find big sonic gains each time.

If you can, keep us updated. Good luck!

Sliced Bread

Thing is...

Uniti = £2000

Naim XS £1250 + CD5i £900 = £2150 (but you'd need another dac if you don't keep the DacMagic

soooo...why not...

Naim's flagship integrated, the Supernait (which has it's own dac) £2350 with your PC or add a squeezebox classic fed to the digital input at £150 so £2500!!

According to the review the dac is "...good enough to trade blows with the digital-to-analogue conversion built into the Award-winning Primare CD31 CD player (£1500)."

Must be worth a demo.

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Chebby , i do use spotify quite a bit and will probably have to stick with the dacmagic. Do you think the 5i wouldnt be good with the dm.If i go for the xs amp then the funds will only stretch to the cd5i.

Thanks for all the replies guys

John Duncan

stumpy66:i do use spotify quite a bit and will probably have to stick with the dacmagic.

Not if you get a Uniti! It's how I listen to most of my music - Airport Express into one of the four digital inputs...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stumpy66:Chebby , i do use spotify quite a bit and will probably have to stick with the dacmagic. Do you think the 5i wouldnt be good with the dm.If i go for the xs amp then the funds will only stretch to the cd5i.

There is another idea. Not one I have heard though.

http://whathifi.com/Review/Audiolab-8200CD/

It is 'only' £700 (compared to the £225 more expensive CD5i) and has a top notch USB/Toslink/Coax DAC built in. (And the WHF Best CD Player £500 - £1000 award winner and 'CD player of the year'.)

That will give you enough 'wriggle room' to afford the Nait XS (especially with the proceeds from the sale of the DacMagic.)

It's worth a go if you can find a dealer to dem one with a Nait XS. (The XS is slightly 'lusher' than the Nait 5i amp so they could be a good pairing in theory.)

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Im planning to demo the NAit xs amp hopefully this weekend, with the 5i and xs cd player although the xs is out of my price range. Which got me thinking back to a plan i had a while back of an all reag system, im now thinking about trying the rega saturn with the xs. Any thoughts about this pairing and recoommneded interconnects

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
Well i had my demo this morning, thought i'd share my thoughts, although i cant remember the smll floorstanders that were used.

First off we heard the 5i amp/cd and right away i thought there was too much treble and the bass was flabby (to my ears) and after just 2 songs i had to ask him to switch it off. It was a no right away, i couldnt imagine getting through a full cd.

Next it was the xs amp/cd, what a difference better separation of the instruments, bass was better, and treble was not harsh at all. Big thumbs up

We then tried the XS amp with the 5i cd it was good not as good as the all xs paring but not as far off as i thought i would be.

THen i tried the uniti, to be honest i wasnt expecting much after hearing the 5i, it was good and if i hadnt heard the xs amp i would have probably bought it. Interestingly a flac rip of one of the cd's i took in was slightly better than the origianl cd.

SO what did i eventually decide on, well it had to be the xs amp, so i have it on home demo for the week, and when i go back next week im going to demo it again with the 5i cd and the rega saturn. I'll keep you posted:)

stumpy66

Jan 1, 2008
Visit site
I know have the saturn on home demo, i had decided to keep the xs but thye havent got 1 in yet so ive still got the shops demo. THe saturn + xs pairing seems to work well, hearing things in tracks i had never heard before, better separation of the instruments. To be expected i guess giving the price and quality difference from my current amp/cd.

Ive got it til mext weekend then its decision time, but i think ive already made it.

Just need to practice my soldering skills for the naim cable connectors, anyone here tackled this or should i stick with banana plugs? Whats the best kind of solder to use, i see maplins do some silver stuff?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stumpy66:Just need to practice my soldering skills for the naim cable connectors, anyone here tackled this or should i stick with banana plugs? Whats the best kind of solder to use, i see maplins do some silver stuff?

(a) Get your Naim dealer to do this. (If he can't - or won't - then inform Naim of this. All their official dealers should have these competencies.)

(b) Follow Naim's instructions. (I hope the mods will allow this link to Naim's FAQs section.)

(c) You are going to Maplin to get solder etc. My local Maplin has a seperate cables section where a nice chap will solder on banana plugs. spades etc. for a minimal charge. Hopefully your Maplins has this service too.

noogle

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Anyone managed to get Spotify streaming directly from a laptop to the Uniti over UPnP using Jamcast's Virtual Souncard software? See www.sdstechnologies.com

In theory this should enable you to do without the Sonos/Squeezebox/AirPort Express hardware currently needed to do this,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts