naim or roksan caspian?

matt78

May 27, 2012
Visit site
hey all,

just general feed back please on roksan caspian vs naim (same price point) please. what do you think is bestter and why? also what speakers etc. i have roksan caspian but i dont think its powerfull enough compared to my old technics amp, hence thinking naim.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The Caspian regularly wins best amp awards and at the same price point you are looking at the XS amp from Naim which on here gets a good write up but it is rated at 60W and the Caspian 85W

You will have to demo them together to see which sounds best to you.....

Tommo

matt78

May 27, 2012
Visit site
better no different yes, Technics was alot more bassyer and powerful at 120 w per channel. my caspian sounds loads better, more detailed, clearer, crisper but not as bassy and powerful. the technics would fill the room and house if turned up but the caspian doesnt as well. at say half volume the technics would be way more loader than the caspian, yet the caspian would sound better. maybe the power amp would help, i think i will lokk at changing speakers first. id rather spend 1k on speakers than 1k on the power amp

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matt78 said:
better no different yes, Technics was alot more bassyer and powerful at 120 w per channel. my caspian sounds loads better, more detailed, clearer, crisper but not as bassy and powerful. the technics would fill the room and house if turned up but the caspian doesnt as well. at say half volume the technics would be way more loader than the caspian, yet the caspian would sound better. maybe the power amp would help, i think i will lokk at changing speakers first. id rather spend 1k on speakers than 1k on the power amp

What speakers do you currently have?

Matt

matt78

May 27, 2012
Visit site
currently i have B&W 602s2 which were great with the technics, but i think they dont do the caspians any justice. hence why i think a £1000 pair of speakers will be better than my 10 year old £250 B&W's

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
matt78 said:
currently i have B&W 602s2 which were great with the technics, but i think they dont do the caspians any justice. hence why i think a £1000 pair of speakers will be better than my 10 year old £250 B&W's

That sounds right. Best to invest all your budget at the weakest point of your current system.

You said you missed the room-filling bass of your old Technics amp. So you might look for a pair of high-sensitivity floor-standing speakers, which would be easy for your amp to drive and provide you with plenty of bass.

Matt

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't judge how loud the Caspian goes on just how much travel you use on the volume control. Some amplifiers are at full output with the volume control set on half. The rest of the travel doesn't produce any more.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If you want power I would avoid Naim, instead how about some of the American amps like Krell. Or Musical Fidelity.

Just because an amp has more power does not mean its always better.

What sort of budget do you have?

matt78 said:
hey all,

just general feed back please on roksan caspian vs naim (same price point) please. what do you think is bestter and why? also what speakers etc. i have roksan caspian but i dont think its powerfull enough compared to my old technics amp, hence thinking naim.

Why do you need a powerful amp? Do you live in a barn or do you hate the neighbours? If you prefer the sound of theTechnics, stick with it. To do justice to a £1500 amp you'll need better speakers. The 602s are fabulous but they do have limitations.

FWIW, on a purely musical basis I prefer the Leema to Naim and Roksan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts