Naim Nait Xs2 v Arcam A39

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I'm an arcam owner and always have been.

I heard a Naim Nait xs2 the other week with some neat speakers and was blown away! Amazing detail and drive even at low volumes.

On paper these two are the same price but power is completely different.

xs2 70watt and the a39 is 120w! both channels at 8 ohm

Am i correct by saying Naim watts are marked as low but do delivery a punch more than higher watt amps? Does watt matter?

Has anyone had the chance to listen to both?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I often find this is a matter of tastes. I had the previous XS-2 version, and I went from that to the Arcam A19 as it produces a sound much closer to what I was looking for. Since then I added the P38, which has been a nice improvement. I don't think watts had much to do in these changes/upgrades.

I also liked the Naim, with its good and not so good things. It's just that I was rather looking for a different type of sound.

Anyways, maybe it was also the Neat speakers that did the magic.

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey

can you go into more detail about your experience with a naim v arcam setup. Looks like we are in the same boat.

I now have a arcam a19 and kef r100

I'm happy with the sound but never forget about the demo of xs2 and neat motive sx2! Stunning

What's yours experience?

tg

unsleepable said:

I often find this is a matter of tastes. I had the previous XS-2 version, and I went from that to the Arcam A19 as it produces a sound much closer to what I was looking for. Since then I added the P38, which has been a nice improvement. I don't think watts had much to do in these changes/upgrades.

I also liked the Naim, with its good and not so good things. It's just that I was rather looking for a different type of sound.

Anyways, maybe it was also the Neat speakers that did the magic.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
Some systems with instant impact and detail can be hard to live with, so just be careful, listen to it for a quite a long time if you can.

This is of course quite true, but sometimes 'instant impact' really is what you want.

Some years ag I had a very busy lifestyle, out all the time and very little opportunity to listen to recorded music in a relaxed situation at home. The system would get used in the evenings for around 30-60 minutes while I was getting ready to go out and sometimes later when I got in.

In both cases the requirement was for energy and excitement, which the otherwise modest system gave plenty of, one of the more successful system choices of my life.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I think arcam might think they reproduce music too! I now have a naim unitilite - I listen to music more - I enjoy it more - it sounds better at lower volume levels (as well as high volume levels).

Previously my cambridge 840A v2 - extremely detailed - very spacious and dynamic- capable of going VERY LOUD - loved it for a long time. But I enjoy the music more from the Naim .

Maybe it suits my epos es14 speakers better. The sound is fuller - still detailed - deeper and well defined bass. I don't like using the acronym PRAT - (makes me sound like a prat!). All I know is I enjoy the music more - and then there is the streaming and internet radio. Good stuff from Naim

tonky

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Dean Morris said:
Hey

can you go into more detail about your experience with a naim v arcam setup. Looks like we are in the same boat.

I'm happy with the sound but never forget about the demo of xs2 and neat motive sx2! Stunning

What's yours experience?

In comparison with the Naim, I find that the A19 is more neutral and detailed in the top end. It produces a deeper sound stage. I find it more involving.

Also, I think that the Kef R100 have a tendency to boominess unless they are positioned well—on solid stands and with plenty of space around. But in my opinion the XS-2 does not grip the bass as good as the A19, which makes a clearly tighter bass.

Then there were also minor functional things, like the volume pot. The volume raises quickly as you turn the pot, and it does not make it as easy to set the exact volume you want. Probably related to this, the channels were slightly imbalanced in the XS-2 I had—this is a typical issue with sensitive potentiometers. At low volume it sounded a bit higher on one channel, which made listening at music late at night a bit disconcerting.

On the other hand, the Naim sounds more up-front than the Arcam, which can be fun. Also, the mid-range in the A19 is more recessed than in the Naim—a more so than I'd like, so I ended up adding the P38.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
BigH said:
Some systems with instant impact and detail can be hard to live with, so just be careful, listen to it for a quite a long time if you can.

This is of course quite true, but sometimes 'instant impact' really is what you want.

Some years ag I had a very busy lifestyle, out all the time and very little opportunity to listen to recorded music in a relaxed situation at home. The system would get used in the evenings for around 30-60 minutes while I was getting ready to go out and sometimes later when I got in.

In both cases the requirement was for energy and excitement, which the otherwise modest system gave plenty of, one of the more successful system choices of my life.

Spot-on.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
unsleepable said:
davedotco said:
BigH said:

Spot-on.

I didn't quite understand what was going at that time, I bought a system that was well known at the time as being engaging, energetic and at the time affordable but I didn't really undestand any of that.

A good friend was getting a reputation as something of a 'guru' and suggested 'upgrades', including a Rega player and a british amplifier of some repute. The results were disappointing in the extreme, I gave him it all back and went back to my Dual and Nad 3020.

A year or so later I actually buggered up my system much more comprehensively by buying a new highly rated and well reviewed amplifier, foolishly p/x-ing my NAD and parting with my own cash. It took me a couple of years to sort that mess out.......!

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
That's great!

did you find adding a p38 a big improvement again? Better drive at lower volumes ? Does it make the listening more exciting?

unsleepable said:
Dean Morris said:
Hey

What's yours experience?

In comparison with the Naim, I find that the A19 is more neutral and detailed in the top end. It produces a deeper sound stage. I find it more involving.

Also, I think that the Kef R100 have a tendency to boominess unless they are positioned well—on solid stands and with plenty of space around. But in my opinion the XS-2 does not grip the bass as good as the A19, which makes a clearly tighter bass.

Then there were also minor functional things, like the volume pot. The volume raises quickly as you turn the pot, and it does not make it as easy to set the exact volume you want. Probably related to this, the channels were slightly imbalanced in the XS-2 I had—this is a typical issue with sensitive potentiometers. At low volume it sounded a bit higher on one channel, which made listening at music late at night a bit disconcerting.

On the other hand, the Naim sounds more up-front than the Arcam, which can be fun. Also, the mid-range in the A19 is more recessed than in the Naim—a more so than I'd like, so I ended up adding the P38.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I remember the dual cs505 being very well recommended - I thought the rega planar 2 and 3 were excellent turntables around that time. I'd be interested to know the amp you wish you hadn't changed for the excellent Nad 3020 for. I love reminiscing!

cheers tonky

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Somehow or another I bought a complete system comprising Dual CS505, Nagaoka MP11, Nad 3020 and Acoustic Research AR18s, can't remember the stands, Kan 1 maybe and a very early SO table.

The sound was exciting and vibrant, quick, pacy and great fun. I never listened (other than at low levels) for any great length of time, the system was used in short bursts and very uplifting it was too.

My hi-fi mate, determined to 'help'. brought round the Rega 3 and A&R60, I found them dull and flat in comparison, it soon was sent back. Bare in mind the context of that judgement though.

A couple or three years later I replaced the Nad with the hottest new amplifier in the market, the Audiolab 8000a. I thought it the bee's knees for a few weeks, then a month or two later I found i just could not be bothered to put any records on, unheard of for me.

It took me a long time and a lot of money to get the magic back, it involved an LP12, Nytech amplifier and a pair of awesome ATR monitors from Germany.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Dean Morris said:
did you find adding a p38 a big improvement again? Better drive at lower volumes ? Does it make the listening more exciting?

I think that the A19 and the P38 (and the A38) are equally good at low volume—which is to say, very good.

Before the P38, I had the nagging feeling that the A19 was a bit too recessed in the midrange. This is something that didn't draw my attention so much when comparing it to other amplifiers, even auditioning at home. Rather, as I lived longer with it, I saw there was room for improvement. But I liked the overall tonality and sound, so I thought it'd be worth it to audition something higher up from the same brand. I gave the P38 a shot, and then decided to keep it. I am very happy with it—in my opinion it maintains all the aspects I really enjoyed of the A19, plus I haven't had this feeling anymore that the midrange is recessed.

The P38 is a more exciting and clearer listen than the A19. Still, this is no Naim, it's just a different type of sound.

I also auditioned the A38 at home. I thought that its preamp stage might be better than that of the A19—I'm not bi-amping; for the moment, the A19 is just working as preamp. But between the A19/P38, and the A38, I only found the smallest differences, if any. So rather than moving laterally, I've kept the P38 to eventually upgrade with a digital preamp.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
My very elderly A60 resides in my daughter's bedroom - 5 pin din and 2pin speaker plugs - oh dear. Beyond use now - too soft sounding and cracklling volume knob.Maybe the input sensitivity is too low/high -STOP IT! - we don't want a thread like the last "amp input sensitivity" behemoth.

Anyway a wonderfully warm and euphonic sound - went so well with my rega planar 2 . Ultimately the sound was too soft and underpowered. But as an introduction to HiFi - late 1976 - it was aural bliss. I wish I'd bought the JR149 speakers (little gem of a speaker - everything was so well defined in space) to go with them but they were a little inefficient for the amp.

tonky - reminesce over

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Dean Morris said:
Have not tried bi amping?

How does the a19 compare with the a38?

Not really—just gave it a half-heartedly attempt.

The differences between the A38 and the A19 are pretty much the same as between the A19 with the P38 and without it.

pixate

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I realise this is an old thread, but thought I would add my findings with the xs2 and the a39. I demoed both recently, when looking for a new speaker and amp combo. I tried both with the following -
Neat Motive sx1, Rega RX3 and Focal Aria 926's I was expecting to buy the xs2 as I already have a nait 5i, but to my surprise I ended up with the focals and the A39. The Arcam has a nice big soundstage (which is one of the qualities I liked about the nait 5i) and unearthed some detail that was missing from the naim xs2, and complimented the focal's more.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts