Quick audition (Naim, Arcam, Focal and Martin Logan)

rainsoothe

Ok. So lately I had a craving to listen to more energic stuff - like Dream Theater - in my home setup. As most the regulars might know, I'm really happy with my current setup. The thing is, though, sometimes I miss the Naimness from my Supernait 2, so I was wondering if there would be a cheper way to achieve it and what the tradeoff (if any) would be, keeping in mind that I'm in a financial pickle :)

So I auditioned the following gear:

- Arcam CDS27 + Arcam A19 + Focal Aria 906 / Martin Logan XT35 (Naim NAC A5 speaker cable with the Focal))

- CD Transport (via coax i think) + Naim Unitiqute 2 + Focal Aria 906 / Martin Logan XT35 (Chord Rumour speaker cable)

- same as above, but with Naim Nap100 added.

I intended for a quick audition, but ended up spending 2 hours at my dealer's. The 3 tracks I tested it with were 6:00 by Dream Theatre (Awake) - this is to test boogie factor, drum opening and keyboards + guitar, also a prety bright sounding recording sometimes, Jamaica say you will (Joe Cocker) - for piano, organ, voice and flowyness and Anesthetize (Porcupine Tree) - for punch, drum slam and imaging - it has some nice stereo effects.

Ok, first the speakers: I still like the Focals better, at least with this level of electronics. They are more polite then the Martin Logans. The Focals are an easier listen - they're still detailed, but the top is not as precise (MLs got ribbon tweeter). Also, the Martin Logans produced a tighter and colder sound. Imo the Martin Logans would suit higher priced electronics, or listener fatigue might set in. The treble is not harsh or anything, it's just that it's very airy and also they need better and more bass (they're 4 ohm speakers I think) - they would be much better matched with the likes of Naim Superuniti for instance. The Focals were more relaxed, were easier to listen to louder - but still retained enough detail to be listened at low levels, and their soundstage is amazing.

The following are with the Focals, since I liked them better. Again, I think the MLs need better amplification - Supernait (2) / Superuniti.

Now for the electronics. Imo, there was very little between bare Naim Unitiqute 2 and the Arcam setup. My home setup sounds better then both, of course, thanks to the Dac V1, but the Arcam setup wasn't bad. If I were to chose between the two, I would go for the Arcams. There's great detail, the soundstage is also very good, musical sound, plenty of features and the bass has quite the weight. In comparison, the bare Unitiqute 2 had a bit more rhythmic presentation - but the difference was almost indistinguishable (for me at least) - BUT the soundstage had almost no depth. Bass was tighter, with better control, but not as much weight/warmth as the Arcam. I prefer the latter, even if it seems somewhat sluggish in comparison.

Now adding the NAP100 to the UQ2 changed everything. The sound retained the body from the UQ2 (it's not as clinical as the 5si or some Naim electronics for example), but it gained depth, even more control and punchiness. It was amazing imo. Lower bass notes were more audible, highs were airier and again, the soundstage grew in all dimensions.

Bottom line is changing from my current Naim Dac V1 + Arcam A19 to a bare UQ2 would be a sidewaysmove at best (actually lower quality tbh), but UQ2 + Nap100 is exactly what I'm looking for. It has that extra 10% punch missing from my system. So... ye, maybe this read helps someone :)

Have a good one.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I can't help but wonder if you will find what you are looking for with an Arcam amp higher up the range.

The A19 is a phenomenal amp for the money but the old a28 and a38 respresent steps up in punch and composure at each level. I've found Arcam and Focal work very well together so maybe try either an a29, a39 or of course a second hand a38!

Happy listening!

iceman16

I suggest add the Arcam A29 to your demo list.
regular_smile.gif

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Ok. So lately I had a craving to listen to more energic stuff - like Dream Theater - in my home setup. As most the regulars might know, I'm really happy with my current setup. The thing is, though, sometimes I miss the Naimness from my Supernait 2, so I was wondering if there would be a cheper way to achieve it and what the tradeoff (if any) would be, keeping in mind that I'm in a financial pickle :)

So I auditioned the following gear:

- Arcam CDS27 + Arcam A19 + Focal Aria 906 / Martin Logan XT35 (Naim NAC A5 speaker cable with the Focal))

- CD Transport (via coax i think) + Naim Unitiqute 2 + Focal Aria 906 / Martin Logan XT35 (Chord Rumour speaker cable)

- same as above, but with Naim Nap100 added.

I intended for a quick audition, but ended up spending 2 hours at my dealer's. The 3 tracks I tested it with were 6:00 by Dream Theatre (Awake) - this is to test boogie factor, drum opening and keyboards + guitar, also a prety bright sounding recording sometimes, Jamaica say you will (Joe Cocker) - for piano, organ, voice and flowyness and Anesthetize (Porcupine Tree) - for punch, drum slam and imaging - it has some nice stereo effects.

Ok, first the speakers: I still like the Focals better, at least with this level of electronics. They are more polite then the Martin Logans. The Focals are an easier listen - they're still detailed, but the top is not as precise (MLs got ribbon tweeter). Also, the Martin Logans produced a tighter and colder sound. Imo the Martin Logans would suit higher priced electronics, or listener fatigue might set in. The treble is not harsh or anything, it's just that it's very airy and also they need better and more bass (they're 4 ohm speakers I think) - they would be much better matched with the likes of Naim Superuniti for instance. The Focals were more relaxed, were easier to listen to louder - but still retained enough detail to be listened at low levels, and their soundstage is amazing.

The following are with the Focals, since I liked them better. Again, I think the MLs need better amplification - Supernait (2) / Superuniti.

Now for the electronics. Imo, there was very little between bare Naim Unitiqute 2 and the Arcam setup. My home setup sounds better then both, of course, thanks to the Dac V1, but the Arcam setup wasn't bad. If I were to chose between the two, I would go for the Arcams. There's great detail, the soundstage is also very good, musical sound, plenty of features and the bass has quite the weight. In comparison, the bare Unitiqute 2 had a bit more rhythmic presentation - but the difference was almost indistinguishable (for me at least) - BUT the soundstage had almost no depth. Bass was tighter, with better control, but not as much weight/warmth as the Arcam. I prefer the latter, even if it seems somewhat sluggish in comparison.

Now adding the NAP100 to the UQ2 changed everything. The sound retained the body from the UQ2 (it's not as clinical as the 5si or some Naim electronics for example), but it gained depth, even more control and punchiness. It was amazing imo. Lower bass notes were more audible, highs were airier and again, the soundstage grew in all dimensions.

Bottom line is changing from my current Naim Dac V1 + Arcam A19 to a bare UQ2 would be a sidewaysmove at best (actually lower quality tbh), but UQ2 + Nap100 is exactly what I'm looking for. It has that extra 10% punch missing from my system. So... ye, maybe this read helps someone :)

Have a good one.

[/quote

Well done you have found a solution or atleast a compromise. I get the feeling from your above post you needed that Naim sound/musicality with a little HiFi sonics thrown in. I myself use to own Naim system and that sound can get very addictive. I once listened to an Arcam system in a department store (I think it was Harrods) many years ago, I remember it sounded very polite, definetely not for me.

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think the new Arcam amps are great, but then I liked the old ones and certainly didn't find them pedestrian. Indeed, I love the power of my A38 and am in no rush to change (for now!).

You say tamato, I say tomato!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
...just skip the 'Qute altogether and get a NAP100 for your DAC V1? The V1 has other inputs you could stick a CD into aswell? Does your NAS "push" signals into a DAC or do you need a streamer to pull it?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts