NAD Amplifiers - Old vs new/power?

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
I have recently reconstructed an old Marantz system that I owned years ago and it sounds as good as it did before. I am now looking to do the same with a NAD system. I used to own (I think) a C320 or C340 and both of these are still available second hand.

However I have read that the newer NAD amps are better and I am wondering whether to go after one of the above pr to go for the newer C320BEE or even C356BEE? I plan to switch and change components at some points so the amp may have to drive easy standmounts in terms of the Monitor Audio Silver 1's but in the future maybe more demanding speakers such as Dynaudios.

So two questions really:

1 - Old vs new?

2 - Which variant of NAD amp has enough grunt to power demanding speakers?

I have been told that only very high spec amps such as Naim can drive demanding speakers effectively - the C356BEE seems to have bags of power/current though?

Thank you.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Do have good power and current compared to other amps as they rate the power more honestly. However i believe that everything has a price point and would wo der why youd want to have £2000 plus speakers with a £150 amp?

Id only consider a nad c270 or 370 or higher for those speakers.

You would never realize the full potential of your dynaudio with the smaller nads.

But thats only my opinion. Maybe others here will disagree.

If you can test the amp with the speakers youll get a better feel what your up against.

Im in the camp that would rather have a better amp than speakers but many here are the oposite and say have better speakers with a lesser amp.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Well, I haven't actually bought any speakers yet and that's the reason for the post really. I have read the same opinion as yours elsewhere that the Dyns need a 'capable' amp to drive them and I have yet to ascertain what on earth that means so I am questioning wheher the NAD will fit the bill?

I guess some of this is marketing speak but they claim to have very understated power and the spec sheet states its output at 8 ohms to be 80wpc. Let's assume that's not enough.

Then I go to the Supernait 2 that the dealers are telling me 'perfect - no problem with the Dyns that'll be over £2k please'.

Guess what. 80 wpc into 8 ohms.

So you can understand my question; however I am far from an expert so if someone far better educated in these matters than help me understand I'd appreciate that.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Paulq said:
Well, I haven't actually bought any speakers yet and that's the reason for the post really.  I have read the same opinion as yours elsewhere that the Dyns need a 'capable' amp to drive them and I have yet to ascertain what on earth that means so I am questioning wheher the NAD will fit the bill?

I guess some of this is marketing speak but they claim to have very understated power and the spec sheet states its output at 8 ohms to be 80wpc.  Let's assume that's not enough.

Then I go to the Supernait 2 that the dealers are telling me 'perfect - no problem with the Dyns that'll be over £2k please'.

Guess what. 80 wpc into 8 ohms.

So you can understand my question; however I am far from an expert so if someone far better educated in these matters than help me understand I'd appreciate that.

You cant comare naim to nad
Naim 80w is very powerfull

The supernait will sound like a 150 - 200 watt amp and have a much better quality to it.

dantt

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I had until recently a Nad 326bee to power my Dynaudio Excite x16.This amp is very good,BUT didn't drive my speakers well.Dynaudio is a brand witch requires all around them to be perfect unfortunately.So i had to change my amp with Hegel H80.Results?A big and noticeable improvement in control,focus,scene and grip.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
philpot1001 said:
sorry Andrew i was just been childish - nads are a slang term for nuts....in my defence - i still maintain its funny :)

Its just not being english and dont understand jokes and other forum members looking for glory (not you)

Ps never knew nad meant balls lol

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts