my REL T1 sub humms all the time when it is on

roten

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
Is there a difference whether your amp is on or off?

I had the same problem. It turned out that my Sky box was grounding the antenna via the subwoofer (electricity not grounded properly). I fixed it by swapping the subwoofer cable from Chord Crimson to a QED. Some subwoofer cables have teh ability to prevent this happening.

A

Anonymous

Most likely a ground loop problem.

Try plugging all the components into a multiplug which is pluged into the wall socket, That way they are all connected to the same ground, not different ground.

If the ground has noise on it caused by other equipment like the sky box mentioned above or a home computer or fridge freezer, etc... Then using a two pin plug might remove the problem, but maybe inadvisable on safety grounds.

Possible that the amp is causing the hum, if your amp has a display and the sub is connected by low level, line inputs and the cutoff frequency on the sub is set to full range or processor, try setting the cutoff frequency to something other than full range. This was a known fault with my Sony STRD930DB AV receiver, do not know if any current amps suffer from this oversight.

woollyjoe:

As subject says - the sub humms all the time.

Hi wollyjoe

Roten has a point. I had a similar issue when connecting the Yamaha DSP-Z11 to the Monitor Audio Platinum PLW-15 sub woofer. The existing sub cables (which had been used for years) worked with all the other subs that we stock from ATC, Dynaudio and Monitor Audio however with the PLW-15 it was a no go. I then tried a QED Performance sub cable and bingo! Hum and buzz all gone and instead silence.
emotion-1.gif

Btw, i now use either QED Reference or Signature sub cables and they look the part and sound fantastic.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I have had a similar problem with my Kef K2 sub. Check to see if your AV receiver is earthed, if it is not run a simple earth lead to the receiver casing. This worked woonders for me.

A

Anonymous

woollyjoe:

As subject says - the sub humms all the time.

All good advice , also dont run a mains cable near your sub interconnect , experiment with the posted suggestions

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
You dont say how its connected, but if via an av amp 'and' hardwired to the speaker terminals then you probably need a 'floating earth' device

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts