My Panasonic 50VT65 THX Calibrated

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

theflyingwasp

mr malarky said:
theflyingwasp said:
Hi davidvann

I'd love to sir but I'm a complete fricken idiot.i don't know how to upload pics to what hifi I tried before just after I got the ZT to show off skyfall.ive enough I-products to send the first manned space flight to andromeda just a shame I don't know how to use any of them.

funnily enough tho it has been the tv shows that have been more jaw dropping than the movies arrow,game of thrones,bates motel ,the following were just awesome plus no black bars with tv shows = full screen calibrated greatness!

also to those with a calibrated screen do yourself a favour and buy collateral on Blu ray it's now in my top ten even with some grain heavy scenes.

But you said you haven't watched any TV on the ZT since you brought it, only movies??

hi mr malarky yes true I have not watched 1 minute of TV all the TV shows I watch are from TV boxset mostly blu ray for example on mon veep season 2 ,true blood season 6 and ray donavan come out on Monday on blu ray boxset ,next week is true detective.i get a big amazon delivery every mon depending on what comes out .game of thrones and bates motel just to mention a few look absolutely amazing on blu ray.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Game of thrones is brilliant. The guy who directed some of the episodes is directing the new terminator film, so there's some hope it might actually be half decent:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Taylor_(director)

If you want a TV series that looks jaw-dropping on the ZT try 'Hannibal', even it 1080i off Sky the picture quality is outstanding (and the series is brilliant as well, really recaptures the feel of the original silence of the lambs film).

T

theflyingwasp

Yeah I've been 50/50 on Hannibal for blimen ages .it is the central character that's putting me off I watched a couple of episodes online he is one miserable man .i was close to buying it on zavvi for £17.99.

Also I should have made myself clear I've never seen BBC ,itv , channel four and the sky channels etc calibrated but as I've said on a number of threads I watched a lot of TV on boxsets.

blu ray tv with no black bars! Excellent you would think by now sky and virgin should be 1080p it's a farce and Netflix are pushing 4k - yeah right then!

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to get my Kuro calibrated. Trouble is I've never had a spare £250 to get it don't. I even have a mate who does it. I have done a set up though with my THX Blu-ray though. The picture was really good before I did it, now it looks stunning but I can't wait to see it fully calibrated.

Even at night there is too much abmbiant light so I wouldn't get it done till I have a room thats nice and dark.

One day it will be done.

Just from the pictures Gel I can see it looks pretty sweet. who did you use for the calibration or was it THX themselves?

D

Deleted member 2457

Glacialpath said:
I'd love to get my Kuro calibrated. Trouble is I've never had a spare £250 to get it don't. I even have a mate who does it. I have done a set up though with my THX Blu-ray though. The picture was really good before I did it, now it looks stunning but I can't wait to see it fully calibrated.

Even at night there is too much abmbiant light so I wouldn't get it done till I have a room thats nice and dark.

One day it will be done.

Just from the pictures Gel I can see it looks pretty sweet. who did you use for the calibration or was it THX themselves?

:cheers:

I had it done from here:

http://www.displaycalibration.co.uk

They are THX calibrators.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
Is The Mysterious Cities of Gold your test disc? :grin:

Looking good though. Tempted to get my done but I've got the Disney Wow and Spears & Munsil calibration blu rays to try first.

Did you get it calibrated?

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Peeps.

I have been thinking of having my 50VT50 Calibarated for sometime.. I have been indecisive regading this matter as my knoledge isn't great regading this subject, But after reading this threat it feel it's the right thing to do.. The Set isn't used much, I watch a movie on the weekend, on occaions freesat (don't have any HD box set-up) during the week for an hour...PS4 is played a lot....Saying all that i still want to appreciate my Set to its potential . I guess i want to know if there well be a huge difference.....

I'm going to get it Calibrated from the guy Gel had got his done from..spoken to him , seem slike a really nice guy. I assume you would recommend this guy Gel???

Thanks in advance for any replys.

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Is The Mysterious Cities of Gold your test disc? :grin:

Looking good though. Tempted to get my done but I've got the Disney Wow and Spears & Munsil calibration blu rays to try first.

Did you get it calibrated?

No, not yet. I have the ISF Day/Night/Auto display profiles loaded onto my TV, purchased from the ControlCal forum, but I haven't had it professionally calibrated. Definitely plan to in the future though.

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Hi Peeps.

I have been thinking of having my 50VT50 Calibarated for sometime.. I have been indecisive regading this matter as my knoledge isn't great regading this subject, But after reading this threat it feel it's the right thing to do.. The Set isn't used much, I watch a movie on the weekend, on occaions freesat (don't have any HD box set-up) during the week for an hour...PS4 is played a lot....Saying all that i still want to appreciate my Set to its potential . I guess i want to know if there well be a huge difference.....

I'm going to get it Calibrated from the guy Gel had got his done from..spoken to him , seem slike a really nice guy. I assume you would recommend this guy Gel???

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Hi

I definitely recommend Jules, he is really good and a very nice guy! I will definitely be using him on my next TV. Nice one! :cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

His prices are the best going too. He threw in a THX ornament for me too and gave me a slight discount. Worth asking about that too. :)

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply Gel. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up paying? Is there a huge difference? Also is it something you notice immediately or something that happens over time...

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Thanks for the reply Gel. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you end up paying? Is there a huge difference? Also is it something you notice immediately or something that happens over time...

I think it was in total £185 including petrol money. Yes there is a big difference. Yep, you do notice it immediately, you get day and night settings and you can compare back to what it was. I also got £10 off because I didn't have 3D calibration.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
That's good to read. I don't think i will get 3D done also, Lets's hope he's willing to go below £185.. Lol. For some reason i'm being put of by people around me, oh, it's a waste of money ECT,ECT hence me aksing if there was a huge difference, Thanks for your replys, i will update if and when i have it done,

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
That's good to read. I don't think i will get 3D done also, Lets's hope he's willing to go below £185.. Lol. For some reason i'm being put of by people around me, oh, it's a waste of money ECT,ECT hence me aksing if there was a huge difference, Thanks for your replys, i will update if and when i have it done,

No probs. It's definitely worthwhile. I am a lot happier with my picture now, before it didn't look right looking back and now it does.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I copied and i'm using someones elses settings on my Set. At first it was all good, but now, it just does not look right. TV just looks dull. I feel im not doing justice to the set. I just spoke to Jules, Sunday is looking good, Let's hope im not dissapointed ...Lol.

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
I copied and i'm using someones elses settings on my Set. At first it was all good, but now, it just does not look right. TV just looks dull. I feel im not doing justice to the set. I just spoke to Jules, Sunday is looking good, Let's hope im not dissapointed ...Lol.

Nice one! :cheers:

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
civilian said:

whete are you based civilian? If you are near the midlands or in the north, then I recomend Vincent teoh from HDTV test. He did mine and did a really good job.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
If there's only a £10 premium for 3D calibration, I'd strongly recommend getting it done.

I found that 3D calibration delivered the most significant improvements (which is not to downplay 2D calibration's benefits).

Even if you rarely watch 3D content, or don't like 3D more generally, you might be surprised by the results. It'll cost you less than a round of drinks to find out!

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guy's.

Im in East London. Gel has recommneded a guy who i've spoken with and is coming around tomorrow to Calibrate. He comes highly Recommended so i have decided to take the plunge regardless of half of me thinkinging it isn.t worth doing, lol.

I don't watch the Set a lot hence me having doubts, but i guess with anything, you want to appreciate weather your viewing for an hour or three...

Strapped your right, and i will get 3D Calibrated also, for the sake of £10, i may as well have the option ... Just in case me or a family member wishes to view 3D.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
civilian said:
Hi Guy's.

Im in East London. Gel has recommneded a guy who i've spoken with and is coming around tomorrow to Calibrate. He comes highly Recommended so i have decided to take the plunge regardless of half of me thinkinging it isn.t worth doing, lol.

I don't watch the Set a lot hence me having doubts, but i guess with anything, you want to appreciate weather your viewing for an hour or three...

Strapped your right, and i will get 3D Calibrated also, for the sake of £10, i may as well have the option ... Just in case me or a family member wishes to view 3D.

Well Gell is very happy with the results and he was some what unsure like your self. Please let us all know what you think after it's all done...
:cheers:

JohnSutton

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi civilian

If half of you is thinking it's not worth doing, I know a well-known calibrator who won't accept payment if you don't see any improvement after calibration. His rates are really cheap too, definitely below £200.

But if you've committed to the guy Gel recommended, then I guess it's bad form to pull out.

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Hi Guy's.

Don't worry, Jules is excellent. I was very nervous about having it done and waited a very long time, but it will definitely be having it done all the time now.

Which TV do you have?

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
civilian said:
Hi Guy's.

Well Gell is very happy with the results and he was some what unsure like your self. Please let us all know what you think after it's all done... :cheers:

Yep.

delboy27

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello all

Just been browsing through this thread(is that the right term) and i would be interested to know what you think of the performance of the ZT and VT when given a less than top notch picture especially in dark/ dimly lit scenes(i'm talking about films mainly).I bought a ZT acouple of weeks ago and like the other two panasonic plasmas i've owned it's pretty poor in this respect,it turns skin tones cartoon like puts purple patches all over light coloured objects and generally turns background into a big mush.It looks like i imagine any cheap tv to look like.

D

Deleted member 2457

delboy27 said:
Hello all

Just been browsing through this thread(is that the right term) and i would be interested to know what you think of the performance of the ZT and VT when given a less than top notch picture especially in dark/ dimly lit scenes(i'm talking about films mainly).I bought a ZT acouple of weeks ago and like the other two panasonic plasmas i've owned it's pretty poor in this respect,it turns skin tones cartoon like puts purple patches all over light coloured objects and generally turns background into a big mush.It looks like i imagine any cheap tv to look like.

Hi

Yep, you can definitely post here. That don't sound right with your TV. Mine doesn't do it. Calibration makes the picture better but I think there might be something wrong with yours. Hopefully someone else will post on it too.

TRENDING THREADS