My Panasonic 50VT65 THX Calibrated

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Hi Guy's.

Im in East London. Gel has recommneded a guy who i've spoken with and is coming around tomorrow to Calibrate. He comes highly Recommended so i have decided to take the plunge regardless of half of me thinkinging it isn.t worth doing, lol.

I don't watch the Set a lot hence me having doubts, but i guess with anything, you want to appreciate weather your viewing for an hour or three...

Strapped your right, and i will get 3D Calibrated also, for the sake of £10, i may as well have the option ... Just in case me or a family member wishes to view 3D.

What price did you agree at?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
delboy27 said:
Hello all

Just been browsing through this thread(is that the right term) and i would be interested to know what you think of the performance of the ZT and VT when given a less than top notch picture especially in dark/ dimly lit scenes(i'm talking about films mainly).I bought a ZT acouple of weeks ago and like the other two panasonic plasmas i've owned it's pretty poor in this respect,it turns skin tones cartoon like puts purple patches all over light coloured objects and generally turns background into a big mush.It looks like i imagine any cheap tv to look like.

that doesn't sound right at all. Either the set is faulty or (more likely) the picture settings are just way, way off what they should be. Both the ZT and VT, when properly set up, are excellent TV's.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi ALL.

I think it would be wrong of me to back out after arranging it yesterday for him to come tomorrow morning. Thank you for suggesting, it's appreciated. As nervous as i'am (main concerns being, would there be huge difference, and if the Pana would becomwe faulty. lol) speaking with him for over an hour has given me confidence in his abilty...And i feel instinctively right with him..!

I wil defo update you guy's once it has been Calibrated. I have the Pana 50VT65..

Gel we agreed on £185, but i'm going to defo attempt to have that lowered...I have confidence in my ability to do so...HAHA!

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Hi ALL.

I think it would be wrong of me to back out after arranging it yesterday for him to come tomorrow morning. Thank you for suggesting, it's appreciated. As nervous as i'am (main concerns being, would there be huge difference, and if the Pana would becomwe faulty. lol) speaking with him for over an hour has given me confidence in his abilty...And i feel instinctively right with him..!

I wil defo update you guy's once it has been Calibrated. I have the Pana 50VT65..

Gel we agreed on £185, but i'm going to defo attempt to have that lowered...I have confidence in my ability to do so...HAHA!

£185 is a bargain mate! :grin: I thought you had a Panasonic, you are definitely doing the right thing for sure. The picture is well overblown on normal settings and looks false, this will sort that out. I just keep mine on night settings now and love it. You have got a bargain! :cheers:

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Agreed price is good..I'm going to make it better. Lol.no harm in trying... I think i can get it to £175...I'm excited and nervous...Lol. Is it important for me to black out the windows....I feel the room is dark enough...it's a 5 hour process...Is that how long it took for your to be done Gel...

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Agreed price is good..I'm going to make it better. Lol.no harm in trying... I think i can get it to £175...I'm excited and nervous...Lol. Is it important for me to black out the windows....I feel the room is dark enough...it's a 5 hour process...Is that how long it took for your to be done Gel...

Yep, it's about 5 hours. Jules explained to me everything he was doing a why and I found it really informative, it was a really good. I didn't think I would need to do the windows but it turned out I did! :doh: So that took some time to do. In the end I needed some lunch so missed a little of it, but Jules will show you the difference and he has some good Blu-rays to show you a demo once he is done.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
In that case i'll black out the windows late tonight so i won't have to do anything tomorrow. He's coming at 10, argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol. I'm going to be half dead to even absorb any info he's going to throw at me....

That's one of the main reasons for doing the Cal, the fact it injects longer life period for my Set. im just building my hifi, still purchasing ect,ect and unboxing...I hope he can appreciate the mess...Lol.

civilian said:

If you've agreed on £185, I don't think it's right to bargain further on the day. £10 doesn't make anybody richer or poorer, but it leaves a bad impression.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
civilian said:

If you've agreed on £185, I don't think it's right to bargain further on the day. £10 doesn't make anybody richer or poorer, but it leaves a bad impression.

Agreed. £185 is definitely a really good deal.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
delboy27 said:
Just been browsing through this thread(is that the right term) and i would be interested to know what you think of the performance of the ZT and VT when given a less than top notch picture especially in dark/ dimly lit scenes(i'm talking about films mainly).I bought a ZT acouple of weeks ago and like the other two panasonic plasmas i've owned it's pretty poor in this respect,it turns skin tones cartoon like puts purple patches all over light coloured objects and generally turns background into a big mush.It looks like i imagine any cheap tv to look like.

This sounds like dynamic false contouring (a plasma trait) exacerbated by less than ideal settings.

It's worth noting that, with brightness set to zero, the VT and ZT tend to crush blacks quite a lot. Every VT & ZT calibration report I've seen (including my own) has brightness set between +5 and +8.

You don't need to pay a calibrator to sort out incorrect brightness settings. Simply download the AVS HD.709 patterns, pop them on a USB, display the right pattern, and adjust you TV's brightness control while paying attention to the "reference black" bar.

Hopefully this will help; and at least you'll know if there's an issue with your TV. Assuming there's no fault, I'd still recommend professional calibration. You've got a fantastic TV. It'd be a shame not to make the very best of it.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
civilian said:

I also sincerely doubt you'd get a better price from anyone else.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Mine was £200 from Vincent and I thought that was a good deal. Some calibrators charge 250 and more which is what I was charged the first time I had it done, although I did get a full refund due to the poor job.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
that's a good price too. I'm happy for you , you finally got what you wanted out of it. Last thing anyone need's a poor Calibrated set. I'm hoping tomorrow evening i can sit back and sigh the word WOW.. Lol.

buzz_lightclick

civilian said:
that's a good price too. I'm happy for you , you finally got what you wanted out of it. Last thing anyone need's a poor Calibrated set. I'm hoping tomorrow evening i can sit back and sigh the word WOW.. Lol.

Are you getting your blu ray player calibrated as well for that price?

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
buzz_lightclick said:
civilian said:

the BD player will just have all the picture enhancements and processing switched off so that it just passes through the signal. The TV is then calibrated and that's all what needs doing because the tv should be doing all of the work in terms of picture processing etc

buzz_lightclick

Series1boy said:
buzz_lightclick said:
civilian said:

the BD player will just have all the picture enhancements and processing switched off so that it just passes through the signal. The TV is then calibrated and that's all what needs doing because the tv should be doing all of the work in terms of picture processing etc

:cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
In that case i'll black out the windows late tonight so i won't have to do anything tomorrow. He's coming at 10, argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lol. I'm going to be half dead to even absorb any info he's going to throw at me....

That's one of the main reasons for doing the Cal, the fact it injects longer life period for my Set. im just building my hifi, still purchasing ect,ect and unboxing...I hope he can appreciate the mess...Lol.

How's it going?

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
civilian said:

How's it going?

:wave: :quest:

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, sorry for the late update. ill start of by saying, any doubts I had we're shot down within 5 min of viewing my new calibrated settings. Yes, 5 min. Referring back to my old settings I could not believe I thought they were good... What injustice I was doing to my set. And eyes! Calibrating has added layers of depth. the blacks are gorgeous, shades I've never seen before. the colour pallet much more sublet and real, everything looks beautifully merged . Viewing now is much more pleasurable.. cinematic! I'm saying this after few hours of viewing after calibration.. I can only assume i will be even more complimentary as the week goes on, and, as my eyes adjust to the new settings . I'm even enjoying 3D.. And I hate 3D! The calibration has transformed my opinion. I'm glad I had it done.. So my advice to future customers who are't sure about 3D.. Is, get it done.. You will be surprised by the results! I want to thank Displaycalibration.co.uk for his effort and time. He arrived 10:30 am.. Began immediately and finished 5:20pm... Not once did he show any sign of frustration.. His level of professionalism remained in tact through out the process. I sat there quietly at one point observing him work.. And I thought, this guy is calibrating tweaking as if it was his own tv ... That's when I knew I had been recommended the right guy... That was confirmed by him after calibrating by saying, if you aren't happy or need anything tweaked.. Don't hesitate to call!! Now that's aftercare service! I want to thank Gel for recommending ,Displaycalibration.co.uk Much Appreciated! Not to forget the other guy's who responded with advice, thank you all!So, if your torn weather to get your set calibrated as I was... Have no fear , displaycalibration.co.uk is here.. Lol. I recommend highly!

buzz_lightclick

civilian said:
Hi guys, sorry for the late update. ill start of by saying, any doubts I had we're shot down within 5 min of viewing my new calibrated settings. Yes, 5 min. Referring back to my old settings I could not believe I thought they were good... What injustice I was doing to my set. And eyes! Calibrating has added layers of depth. the blacks are gorgeous, shades I've never seen before. the colour pallet much more sublet and real, everything looks beautifully merged . Viewing now is much more pleasurable.. cinematic! I'm saying this after few hours of viewing after calibration.. I can only assume i will be even more complimentary as the week goes on, and, as my eyes adjust to the new settings . I'm even enjoying 3D.. And I hate 3D! The calibration has transformed my opinion. I'm glad I had it done.. So my advice to future customers who are't sure about 3D.. Is, get it done.. You will be surprised by the results! I want to thank Displaycalibration.co.uk for his effort and time. He arrived 10:30 am.. Began immediately and finished 5:20pm... Not once did he show any sign of frustration.. His level of professionalism remained in tact through out the process. I sat there quietly at one point observing him work.. And I thought, this guy is calibrating tweaking as if it was his own tv ... That's when I knew I had been recommended the right guy... That was confirmed by him after calibrating by saying, if you aren't happy or need anything tweaked.. Don't hesitate to call!! Now that's aftercare service! I want to thank Gel for recommending ,Displaycalibration.co.uk Much Appreciated! Not to forget the other guy's who responded with advice, thank you all!So, if your torn weather to get your set calibrated as I was... Have no fear , displaycalibration.co.uk is here.. Lol. I recommend highly!

Wow so he was going for close to 7 hours, I didn't realise it took so long! :clap:

It makes the fee seem very reasonable! I'm sure he'll thank you for your free promotion of his website here! ;)

Did you get a different 'Day' and 'Night' profile to use or just one setting for any time of day?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The pannys - can only speak for them have such a high level of control that you can get really good results but it takes a long time to keep going over it to get it.

That whole process is x3 with day night and 3D so can take a long time.

Not surprised by the reaction pretty standard.

TRENDING THREADS