My Panasonic 50VT65 THX Calibrated

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Hi guys, sorry for the late update. ill start of by saying, any doubts I had we're shot down within 5 min of viewing my new calibrated settings. Yes, 5 min. Referring back to my old settings I could not believe I thought they were good... What injustice I was doing to my set. And eyes! Calibrating has added layers of depth. the blacks are gorgeous, shades I've never seen before. the colour pallet much more sublet and real, everything looks beautifully merged . Viewing now is much more pleasurable.. cinematic! I'm saying this after few hours of viewing after calibration.. I can only assume i will be even more complimentary as the week goes on, and, as my eyes adjust to the new settings . I'm even enjoying 3D.. And I hate 3D! The calibration has transformed my opinion. I'm glad I had it done.. So my advice to future customers who are't sure about 3D.. Is, get it done.. You will be surprised by the results! I want to thank Displaycalibration.co.uk for his effort and time. He arrived 10:30 am.. Began immediately and finished 5:20pm... Not once did he show any sign of frustration.. His level of professionalism remained in tact through out the process. I sat there quietly at one point observing him work.. And I thought, this guy is calibrating tweaking as if it was his own tv ... That's when I knew I had been recommended the right guy... That was confirmed by him after calibrating by saying, if you aren't happy or need anything tweaked.. Don't hesitate to call!! Now that's aftercare service! I want to thank Gel for recommending ,Displaycalibration.co.uk Much Appreciated! Not to forget the other guy's who responded with advice, thank you all!So, if your torn weather to get your set calibrated as I was... Have no fear , displaycalibration.co.uk is here.. Lol. I recommend highly!

Ah nice one! :cheers: No probs mate. :)

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Three settings in total. Day, night and 3D! My reaction maybe the norm to some after calibrating but I can assure you I had been unsure about this for months, even while he arrived. This thread actually convinced and gave me the confidence to have it done . I must add watching TV now, it's less strainful on my eyes.. I feel much more comfortable!

delboy27

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I have heard of this and other technical terms but do not know what refers to what so i will take your word for that but surely thye pre sets on this screen (THXetc) shouldn,t be so far out as to cause problems.Last night i watched Lucky number slevin on blu ray for the first time(previously had it on dvd and on my old tv it looked great).Anyway the main guy walks round shirtless for about 15 mins and he seems to be covered in purple blotches and green and purple rainbows yet other parts of the picture look fine.I put the screen on professional which has brightness about 2 as far as i remember.On a brighter note i put Drive on after that and i have never seen it so good it looked almost 3d in places with no panasonic added axtras anywhere to be seen.

delboy27

May 13, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
delboy27 said:
Just been browsing through this thread(is that the right term) and i would be interested to know what you think of the performance of the ZT and VT when given a less than top notch picture especially in dark/ dimly lit scenes(i'm talking about films mainly).I bought a ZT acouple of weeks ago and like the other two panasonic plasmas i've owned it's pretty poor in this respect,it turns skin tones cartoon like puts purple patches all over light coloured objects and generally turns background into a big mush.It looks like i imagine any cheap tv to look like.

This sounds like dynamic false contouring (a plasma trait) exacerbated by less than ideal settings.

It's worth noting that, with brightness set to zero, the VT and ZT tend to crush blacks quite a lot. Every VT & ZT calibration report I've seen (including my own) has brightness set between +5 and +8.

You don't need to pay a calibrator to sort out incorrect brightness settings. Simply download the AVS HD.709 patterns, pop them on a USB, display the right pattern, and adjust you TV's brightness control while paying attention to the "reference black" bar.

Hopefully this will help; and at least you'll know if there's an issue with your TV. Assuming there's no fault, I'd still recommend professional calibration. You've got a fantastic TV. It'd be a shame not to make the very best of it.
That was meant to go wiyh that

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
JohnSutton said:
How much did you end up paying for all 3 settings if you don't mind me asking?

Check the previous 2 pages of this thread.

£185 was the final figure he was quoted as saying. A very good deal.

JohnSutton

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
JohnSutton said:
How much did you end up paying for all 3 settings if you don't mind me asking?

Check the previous 2 pages of this thread.

Thanks. Just checked and the figure of £185 was mentioned, but I'm not sure whether that included 3D. Also, there was talk of haggling the price down even more, although civilian may have decided against it.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi.

It ended up being £195 with the 3D Calibration included. I had no intention of Calibrating 3D until starpped made some good points in favour of it. The Calibrator made similar points and seemed convinced i would appreciate it more once Calibrated. It helped him being near by, i think he was doing another Calibration not to far away from me. I think £195 was an excellent price for all three.. He spent 7 hours on my set. I did not ask for the price to be lowered after seeing and appreciating the effort put in.

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Oh yeah!!!!!!!! It sit's proudly beside my Set!!!! That's the cherry on top of the cake....

Nice one! :cheers: I love mine too. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Nice!!

What's your experience of your Calibration.. Does it get better as the weeks go on???

Yep, for sure. I am still going through my Blu-Ray collection trying them all out again. I love going on Sky too, motion is better on sports now and the Sky movies looks awesome. Before my colours were much too overblown:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/pictures-and-videos-of-a-panasonic-50vt65

Now I don't get fake pictures at all.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
That's good to hear. I'm so excited to go through my blu-rays.even a 5min viewing well be a pleasure. Can't wait to finish work and go home to turn it on. wo hoooooooo, lol

T

theflyingwasp

Series1boy said:
Glad you're enjoying your calibration. I like Gel am going through all my bluray collection and loving them all over again...

a lot of films look quite a bit different after calibration.even when playing video games there should be a noticeable difference ,the first game I was lucky enough to play after calibration was the last of us ,it looked stunning!

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My brother would echo that.. He's playing watchdogs at the moment, he can't believe the difference. I'm checking TV out as the week goes on.. After days I feel night mode seems to be what I view most.. Maybe that's because I'm at work during the day. I will go through day, night and 3D over the weekend . Any good blu-ray or 3D discs I should consider buying?

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
My brother would echo that.. He's playing watchdogs at the moment, he can't believe the difference. I'm checking TV out as the week goes on.. After days I feel night mode seems to be what I view most.. Maybe that's because I'm at work during the day. I will go through day, night and 3D over the weekend . Any good blu-ray or 3D discs I should consider buying?

You can get 3 3D Blu-rays here for £30:

http://www.base.com/dvd/pg735/bn10007217/3for30.htm?utm_id=NL12-14&utm_source=NL12-14&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=NL12-14&utm_campaign=13528690&utm_content=110721669074&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Emailvision

2D Man of Steel is good. Django Unchained, the Batman's and to be honest anything looks good.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Pacific rim - best.2d 3d and sound track so far i have seen

Really demanding on.system and setup but very rewarding.

Its my main test disc i rarely go to anything else

T

theflyingwasp

civilian said:

where to start ! Eh ok forgetting about the actual film for a second ,going on picture quality any of these titles are worth buying on Blu ray.

Enders game,saving mr banks,both hunger games films,any Pixar movie,the avengers,zodiac,the way back,watchmen,tower heist,training day,transformers trilogy,tron,titanic,total recall (new),true grit,Star Wars new trilogy,sunshine,Superbad,both star treks,skyfall,,riddick,seven,sin city,Prometheus, I could name 50 more ,trust me I own all of them ,check out Blu ray.com never again will you buy a duff Blu ray!

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
civilian said:
Any good blu-ray or 3D discs I should consider buying?

Those of films you like or think you might like, they'll most probably all have great picture quality. However, to be sure you could always peruse the disc's review on www.blu-ray.com (if available).

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
For 3D reference " A Turtles Tale " can't be beaten.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts