My Panasonic 50VT65 THX Calibrated

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

davidvann said:
hi all just an update ,had ellidj round to do another calibration on my lx508d,been having some problems with my tv ever since the repair over two years ago my tv has not been well it just hasnt been performing like a kuro i had diffrent repair companys come look at my tv most would'nt take there coat off when looking at my tv was just told with in spec lol,so a few months ago i went on the avf forum sorry i now that swearing when posting on when whf, anyways i asked the good folks on there for help ,one chap on there seemed to have so much knoledge on the kuro he talked me threw the service menu and the diffrent voltage settings and doing a full reset of the tv,which the repair company should of done,never having done this sort of thing as i dont have the confedence for this kind of ajustments ,armed with a spear pair of pants lol, i took the plunge to have a go ,after doing a full reset and voltage chsnge hey presto i have a kuro again with the blacks at almost the same as the krp and a cleaner image ,i decided to give ellisdj another call to see wilth change of voltages and a reset to see how it the tv would perform with another calibration,ellisdj calibrated the tv with a higher contrast and oh baby the p/q is now the dogs dangles ,it seems to be as bright as led and all the glory of the plasma.thanks ellisdj

p.s guys i would like to add what i did with voltage and reset ,if you know a good repair company use them ,i only did this as as as last chance ditch to get my tv going as funds where not good as being out of work.cheers david
Glad it's sorted now.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I got Daves Kuro looking excellent yesterday.

Just been and redone my Dads ZT.
Wow that is a good TV. First time its really impressed me.
I feel like I have seen first glimpse what its capable of.

D

Deleted member 2457

Cofnchtr said:
Hi,

Joining the 'Calibrated TV' Club next Tuesday.

Jules coming up to do mine and my uncles Panasonic.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.
Nice one!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
I contacted Vincent Teoh today to calibrate my projector & TV, will do it sometime in February after I use the projector for 100 hours.
Nice one! What sort of price did he charge? Cheers.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
I contacted Vincent Teoh today to calibrate my projector & TV, will do it sometime in February after I use the projector for 100 hours.

Sorry, can't reveal the price as per the condition of the quote. All I can say is I'm happy with the quote. :)
Okay. *smile*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

Sorry, can't reveal the price as per the condition of the quote. All I can say is I'm happy with the quote. :)
Okay. *smile*

he charged me £200 excluding 3d which I have never watched nor am I ever going to.. I'm in Sheffield and he's in Manchester, so very local.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
gel said:
bigboss said:
gel said:
bigboss said:

Okay. *smile*

he charged me £200 excluding 3d which I have never watched nor am I ever going to.. I'm in Sheffield and he's in Manchester, so very local.
That's not bad just £15 more than me, but I'm in Milton Keynes so petrol would be more I guess. Cheers.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:

have you got your projector up and running yet bigboss. I'd love to see a review as I'm trying to convince the better half to let me get one for films and gaming

rocketrazor said:
bigboss said:

have you got your projector up and running yet bigboss.  I'd love to see a review as I'm trying to convince the better half to let me get one for films and gaming 

No, not yet. It's for the new house in December.

Take her to a demo. My wife was skeptical as well, until she accompanied me to a demo. I then told her how this was possible in our house. She was sold! :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have to say I love 3D - I love watching films in 3D they are absolutely epic when done good. You do need optimum conditions admittedly (Complete Darkness) but I do hope they keep bringing stuff out because it would be a shame for it to go as its really bloody good when done properly. 2D just cant capture that depth. I would convert all with 5 minutes of Titanic (first 5, minutes is all it takes), or 5 minutes of Pacific Rim or amazingly probs 5 mins of of the old faithful Avatar.

I was a hater for 3D at home for a long time, I thought gimmick but after I calibrated I changed my tune on that real quick.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I have to say I love 3D - I love watching films in 3D they are absolutely epic when done good. You do need optimum conditions admittedly (Complete Darkness) but I do hope they keep bringing stuff out because it would be a shame for it to go as its really bloody good when done properly. 2D just cant capture that depth. I would convert all with 5 minutes of Titanic (first 5, minutes is all it takes), or 5 minutes of Pacific Rim or amazingly probs 5 mins of of the old faithful Avatar.

I was a hater for 3D at home for a long time, I thought gimmick but after I calibrated I changed my tune on that real quick.

mines more of a physical challenge, it makes my eyes very tired around 10 mins into the film and I just can't watch it.

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
ellisdj said:

mines more of a physical challenge, it makes my eyes very tired around 10 mins into the film and I just can't watch it.
I get headaches.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey series1boy how are you?

It sucks some people can't watch 3D. A guy I used to work with came to check on something we had reportedon when we started testing 3D titles at my old job. He put the glasses on and when we pressed play he imediately felt queezy.

To be honest if your TV/Projector is calibrated or at least the contrast and Brightness you should get almost as much depth as 3D in a 2D picture. The only thing we miss out on is anything coming out the screen. Even then sometimes things almost pop off the screen.

I used to have to watch it 7 hours a day. I guess I was lucky it didn't bother me, though we were made to take "eye" breaks every now and then and got out and look at the real world.

I tell you what my depth perseption when coming out of a QC suite was really good.

Unfortunately I never got to see 3D on a calibrated monitor. The company wouldn't pay for it to be done, not even in one suite.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Cofnchtr said:
Hi,

Joining the 'Calibrated TV' Club next Tuesday.

Jules coming up to do mine and my uncles Panasonic.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

Hello Cofnchtr, I'm sure that Jules will do an excellent job. As I'm about to resume compiling my list of who has had machines calibrated, just don't forget to report back with (a) the exact model number of your machine and (b) your impressions of the calibrated set. Remember that you may not like the newly-calibrated picture for a few days - I didn't at first, but I'm absolutely in love with all four of my televisions now. Oddly, I'm most in love with the two lesser sets (in terms of electronic accomplishment) rather than with the better two sets, though they of course are very good also post calibration.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Son_of_SJ

Panasonic TX-P50GT30B

Had it a couple of years now but impressed with reports on this thread of users who have had the 'treatment'.

I always feel that in the shadow areas of lots of films I am missing detail. Especially the Dark Knight trilogy. Perhaps even in the Aliens movie...I can't wait to see the change.

I have an open mind towards this and presume I will see a difference and will like it - I hopefully will see 'more' in movies and TV watching.

More importantly I hope SWMBO will see the difference also.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
ellisdj said:

That is unlucky have yo tried the various settings - there are quite a lot for more or less 3D effect and other things.

Also the 3D3 glasses are much better and after a calibration very good - but it needs to be pitch black otherwise you get reflection in the glass

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Well, had a couple of days to watch the calibrated set and I think it's a vast improvement.

Jules was here for about 5 hours and talked me through everything he was doing. You could see the improvements almost as he was adjusting them on the PC.

We watched clips when he's finished adjusting each setting and I was more than convinced straight away.

I've put pics of TDK below.

15484202290_7d4121e065_z.jpg

15483811947_f78bc2cc45_z.jpg

15049646143_b4bcdc75b8_z.jpg

Definitely recommend having this done.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

D

Deleted member 2457

Bb
Cofnchtr said:
Hi,

Well, had a couple of days to watch the calibrated set and I think it's a vast improvement.

Jules was here for about 5 hours and talked me through everything he was doing. You could see the improvements almost as he was adjusting them on the PC.

We watched clips when he's finished adjusting each setting and I was more than convinced straight away.

I've put pics of TDK below.

Definitely recommend having this done.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.
Ah nice one. Congrats!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts