My Panasonic 50VT65 THX Calibrated

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

civilian

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Peeps. Hope everyone is well..!

Watching football for the first time .. Wow!! Never seen the pitch that colour lol. I seem to prefer night settings over day.. Since calibrating I'm watching football on it this evening .. I did notice very , very, very faint vertical banding one bar.. And I only noticed it as I'm aware of it from previous sets. Funny thing, watching game on ITV.. And there isn't even a sign if the faint banding I was getting on BBC Coverage..!

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all,just an update had my tv calibrated by ellisdj ,with which i am very pleased with the results,elisdj was very good he talked me through the settings as he was doing the calibration,it was a bit awkward in the beginning as my blueray player wouldn't play the picture test disc ,so after some tinkering around ellisdj managed to get it going,he was going back and fourth until i was happy with the picture,elisdj showed me how the tv was performing before calibration and after calibration the tv is running much more accurately now :grin: elisdj has done a cracking job and i would recommend him to anyone else who's thinking about calibration.many thanks david

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers David mate - nice to meet you yesterday at last.

I am glad your happy mate is whats its all about
smiley-laughing.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

davidvann said:
hi all,just an update had my tv calibrated by ellisdj ,with which i am very pleased with the results,elisdj was very good he talked me through the settings as he was doing the calibration,it was a bit awkward in the beginning as my blueray player wouldn't play the picture test disc ,so after some tinkering around ellisdj managed to get it going,he was going back and fourth until i was happy with the picture,elisdj showed me how the tv was performing before calibration and after calibration the tv is running much more accurately now :grin: elisdj has done a cracking job and i would recommend him to anyone else who's thinking about calibration.many thanks david

Nice one! :cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

civilian said:
Hi . Hope everyone is enjoying the weather.. I need a TV stand, any recommendation?

My Optimum stand came from Sevenoaks they do quite a few. I also have an Alphason stand which I got from here:

http://www.standanddeliver.com/Alphason-TV-Stands.html

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
civilian said:

Watching football for the first time .. Wow!! Never seen the pitch that colour lol. I seem to prefer night settings over day.. Since calibrating I'm watching football on it this evening .. I did notice very , very, very faint vertical banding one bar.. And I only noticed it as I'm aware of it from previous sets. Funny thing, watching game on ITV.. And there isn't even a sign if the faint banding I was getting on BBC Coverage..!

Hi there how's it going. Glad you are enjoying a calibrated TV. I will get mine done at some point. Even tough I've done a set up myself with my THX calibration disc I know a full calibration will look even better.

It has been a pleasure reading this thread seeing you guys being really happy with the calibration. I'm jealous I can't afford to get mine done or even the fact my room is currently not dark enough to warrent it.

With regards the faint banding you noticed on one channel and not the other is likely to do with the broadcast. Just so you don't start thinking it's your TV.

Though they are meant to broadcast to the same standards TV channels never look the same. That even goes for Blu-Ray even though it is a much more controld viewing experience it will be down to how the picture toe the movie was treated in post production and then how it was compressed before going to disc.

I hate the fact BD video is still compressed even though it is HD but I have seen feature from the originla HD CAM-SR tapes and the picture looks even better than it does on BD

If it's a big block buster that difference will be smaller and of course you won't have the reference of the HD CAM tape but on lower budget films/TV programs, the picture values will be different and may look awefull on BD. Again not the TV's fault, especially if it's been calibrated just the fault of a cheap digital transfer showing picture anomilies under video compression.

This is mainly for any one reading this post incase they wonder why some BD films look horrible. Also different players will hand different films in different ways. One player it will look horrible and the next it could look amazing. Not much us paying public can do about it really.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all,it's been about a week since having my tv calibrated,all i can say is it's a huge improvement,have been going through my favourite discs ,iv'e been pausing the disc from calibrated to the pioneer optiumum setting ,on the pionneer setting everything looks over blown ,everything looks much more natural on the calibrated screen the motion is much smoother too ,you get better shadowing effect,the light and dark sceens are much better too.i am one happy bunny atm :) .cheers david

Glacialpath said:
civilian said:

Hi there how's it going. Glad you are enjoying a calibrated TV. I will get mine done at some point. Even tough I've done a set up myself with my THX calibration disc I know a full calibration will look even better.

It has been a pleasure reading this thread seeing you guys being really happy with the calibration. I'm jealous I can't afford to get mine done or even the fact my room is currently not dark enough to warrent it.

With regards the faint banding you noticed on one channel and not the other is likely to do with the broadcast. Just so you don't start thinking it's your TV.

Though they are meant to broadcast to the same standards TV channels never look the same. That even goes for Blu-Ray even though it is a much more controld viewing experience it will be down to how the picture toe the movie was treated in post production and then how it was compressed before going to disc.

I hate the fact BD video is still compressed even though it is HD but I have seen feature from the originla HD CAM-SR tapes and the picture looks even better than it does on BD

If it's a big block buster that difference will be smaller and of course you won't have the reference of the HD CAM tape but on lower budget films/TV programs, the picture values will be different and may look awefull on BD. Again not the TV's fault, especially if it's been calibrated just the fault of a cheap digital transfer showing picture anomilies under video compression.

This is mainly for any one reading this post incase they wonder why some BD films look horrible. Also different players will hand different films in different ways. One player it will look horrible and the next it could look amazing. Not much us paying public can do about it really.

1) TV calibration takes your room lighting into account. In fact, I would argue that calibration is even more useful in imperfect lighting conditions.

2) "Cheap digital transfer showing picture anomalies under video compression" doesn't make sense to me at all.

buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Have you had your KRP calibrated bigboss?

Moving to a new house shortly, so pointless to calibrate at the moment.

sure but you must have had it for about 5 years so I wondered if you had it calibrated some time after you bought it? I guess not!

Well, I didn't know much about calibration initially. When I came to know about it, there wasn't much point because I knew I would be moving soon for job purposes, as I was coming towards the end of my training programme.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:
bigboss said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Have you had your KRP calibrated bigboss?

Moving to a new house shortly, so pointless to calibrate at the moment.

sure but you must have had it for about 5 years so I wondered if you had it calibrated some time after you bought it? I guess not!

Well, I didn't know much about calibration initially. When I came to know about it, there wasn't much point because I knew I would be moving soon for job purposes, as I was coming towards the end of my training programme.

When you get a projector will you get that calibrated? How much does a projector cost to be calibrated come to think of it anyone?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
bigboss said:
1) TV calibration takes your room lighting into account. In fact, I would argue that calibration is even more useful in imperfect lighting conditions.

2) "Cheap digital transfer showing picture anomalies under video compression" doesn't make sense to me at all.

Hey BB. Yeah I know calibration take the room ligting into acount. Screens are best viewed in a dark room. Having said that, sometimes my Kuro looks better in the day because you can't see the imperfections in the blacks.

There is more than 1 method of encoding video from the original tapes. Band width and all that. Depending on the customer budget will depend on how good the encode is. It's not really the encode that will make a picture look poor but if the client has been delivered a poor transfer from film, if they can't aford to ask for a better one from their source the authoring house will only have the poor quality to encode for BD or DVD.

It's all politics and money mate. In my world I would have everything done to perfection. I used to hate QC'ing something I knew I wanted to have on disc and could see poor picture elements that weren't bad enough to ask the client for a better version. I'm pretty sure no one in the industry calibrates any monitors they use. The company I worked for didn't and they hadn't even doen a simple disc set up so I persuaded them to let me do it on all out TV's.

That's how some poor quality things get through to the public domain.

D

Deleted member 2457

Vincent_Teoh said:
Calibrated this wall-mounted Samsung UE65HU8500 the other night. Lovely set-up with Monitor Audio's ASB-2 soundbar.

65hu8500-meter.jpg

65hu8500.jpg

Cool, thanks for posting the pictures! :cheers:

D

Deleted member 2457

I saw the Samsung 65-inch again today in John Lewis, it is really good and I suppose only let down by black levels, which is a shame.

Vincent_Teoh

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the Samsung UE65HU8500 is quite fabulous. Obviously its black level won't compare to a Panasonic plasma, but for an LED LCD, especially a curved one, it's actually decent.

Talking about Panasonic plasma, here's a 50VT65 I calibrated over the weekend:

50vt65.jpg

The living room was sunlit and very bright, so I used [Panel Luminance] "High" to get 190 cd/m2 out of the panel! :dance:

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Vincent_Teoh said:
Yes, the Samsung UE65HU8500 is quite fabulous. Obviously its black level won't compare to a Panasonic plasma, but for an LED LCD, especially a curved one, it's actually decent.

50vt65.jpg

The living room was sunlit and very bright, so I used [Panel Luminance] "High" to get 190 cd/m2 out of the panel! :dance:

190 cd/m2 I calculated that to 55 Ftl - is that correct?

Vincent_Teoh

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Vincent_Teoh said:

50vt65.jpg

Yes, that's correct. Obviously this is from a windowed pattern rather than full-field. If a plasma can do even 120 cd/m2 full-field I'd like to see it! :rofl:

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Vincent_Teoh said:
ellisdj said:
Vincent_Teoh said:

50vt65.jpg

Yes, that's correct. Obviously this is from a windowed pattern rather than full-field. If a plasma can do even 120 cd/m2 full-field I'd like to see it! :rofl:

:cheers:

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
hi all just an update ,had ellidj round to do another calibration on my lx508d,been having some problems with my tv ever since the repair over two years ago my tv has not been well it just hasnt been performing like a kuro i had diffrent repair companys come look at my tv most would'nt take there coat off when looking at my tv was just told with in spec lol,so a few months ago i went on the avf forum sorry i now that swearing when posting on when whf, anyways i asked the good folks on there for help ,one chap on there seemed to have so much knoledge on the kuro he talked me threw the service menu and the diffrent voltage settings and doing a full reset of the tv,which the repair company should of done,never having done this sort of thing as i dont have the confedence for this kind of ajustments ,armed with a spear pair of pants lol, i took the plunge to have a go ,after doing a full reset and voltage chsnge hey presto i have a kuro again with the blacks at almost the same as the krp and a cleaner image ,i decided to give ellisdj another call to see wilth change of voltages and a reset to see how it the tv would perform with another calibration,ellisdj calibrated the tv with a higher contrast and oh baby the p/q is now the dogs dangles ,it seems to be as bright as led and all the glory of the plasma.thanks ellisdj

p.s guys i would like to add what i did with voltage and reset ,if you know a good repair company use them ,i only did this as as as last chance ditch to get my tv going as funds where not good as being out of work.cheers david

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts