my panasonic 50v20 review ...

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Max

If you have had plasma for some time you should stick with it!!!!!! Why did you get rid of the G10 it must have been 12 to 18months old and a great set!!

Maybe you should think of getting the G20 oldboy is happy with his or maybe hunt down a G10? I have seen many reviews of the V20 and this issue is not mentioned once so maybe you and some others just have a dodgy set?

You will be making a mistake going over to LCD as you will notice all the other issues they have when you have it in your home and you are not looking at it in the shop or a mates house.

Sony 100htz sets handle motion very well most of the time! Judder is vastly reduced but with motionflow off will be worse than a panasonic to my eyes anyway plus in low light seens the motion control cannot hide LCD flaws like blur and smear well at least not on my Sony! And of course even with a good backlight (I have a bad one 5 tvs on) you will still not have a panel as perfect as a panny or anywhere near it especially viewing from off centre! Plus of course you have to think about pixel issues I had 2 samsungs the first had a dead pixel the second had 2 stuck sub pixels. Also my first sony had a dead pixel the second had 5 stuck sub pixels the 3rd had 3 stuck pixels and the last one had a screen defect where there was something inbetween the screen layers which caused 1 big darkt dot due to the pixels not responding they all had poor backlight too all went back got full refund but I went to buy a different Sony(actually cuzof Motionflow) had no issues for some time but now I do and I am back to where I was a year ago!! I thought I was gonna go for a panny but now may not be so sure

LG plasmas always seemed to me to have terrible judder!

You have the option of getting another V20 I would do that if that is the same then get a refund!

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:...or i could get the lg350 ... as a stop gap till next year...
Exactly why I ordered a PK350 today
emotion-5.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

I spoke with the shop today they are going to take the tv into the shop tomorrow and do two days testing with it and then we are going to take it frrom there.

So i am really pleased, they have said if they can see the problems again there they will get me a full refund and send it back to panasonic.

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel:they will get me a full refund and send it back to panasonic.

No, gel it's not a matter of them getting you a refund; it's a matter of them giving you a full refund.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:

gel:they will get me a full refund and send it back to panasonic.

No, gel it's not a matter of them getting you a refund; it's a matter of them giving you a full refund.

emotion-2.gif
that's the one
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Snakey:
Max

If you have had plasma for some time you should stick with it!!!!!! Why did you get rid of the G10 it must have been 12 to 18months old and a great set!!

Maybe you should think of getting the G20 oldboy is happy with his or maybe hunt down a G10? I have seen many reviews of the V20 and this issue is not mentioned once so maybe you and some others just have a dodgy set?

You will be making a mistake going over to LCD as you will notice all the other issues they have when you have it in your home and you are not looking at it in the shop or a mates house.

Sony 100htz sets handle motion very well most of the time! Judder is vastly reduced but with motionflow off will be worse than a panasonic to my eyes anyway plus in low light seens the motion control cannot hide LCD flaws like blur and smear well at least not on my Sony! And of course even with a good backlight (I have a bad one 5 tvs on) you will still not have a panel as perfect as a panny or anywhere near it especially viewing from off centre! Plus of course you have to think about pixel issues I had 2 samsungs the first had a dead pixel the second had 2 stuck sub pixels. Also my first sony had a dead pixel the second had 5 stuck sub pixels the 3rd had 3 stuck pixels and the last one had a screen defect where there was something inbetween the screen layers which caused 1 big darkt dot due to the pixels not responding they all had poor backlight too all went back got full refund but I went to buy a different Sony(actually cuzof Motionflow) had no issues for some time but now I do and I am back to where I was a year ago!! I thought I was gonna go for a panny but now may not be so sure
emotion-1.gif

LG plasmas always seemed to me to have terrible judder!

You have the option of getting another V20 I would do that if that is the same then get a refund!

hi snakey, i just spotted you're post..

i agree, i cant chance an lcd, im going to get another plasma...
emotion-21.gif
probably an lg,
emotion-3.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
gel:
I spoke with the shop today they are going to take the tv into the shop tomorrow and do two days testing with it and then we are going to take it frrom there.

So i am really pleased, they have said if they can see the problems again there they will get me a full refund and send it back to panasonic.

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but...

If, after the retailer's done its 'testing', it reports that it can't find any problems/faults with your TV - and hands you a receipt/report with 'NFF' (no fault found) stamped all over it - do not assume that is the end of the matter. So, in the retailer's opinion, the TV works fine in its workshop?

All well and good, but you watch your TV in your home - and it ain't functioning properly in your home
emotion-40.gif

Had the same scenario with Comet and an iffy Samsung up-scaling DVDP - woeful 'phosphorus trails' during dark/night scenes - back in the day. Comet tried sending the DVDP to its engineers for testing and consequent 'NFF ploy'
emotion-3.gif

So, I requested one of its 'engineers' attend my home to view the DVDP's fault when hooked-up to my TV etc in my living-room. The 'engineer' indeed noted the fault. His solution? He altered my TV's brightness/contrast/colour to ludicrously low settings, rendering dark/night scenes 'grey', thus masking the (grey) 'phosphorus trails'. Genius!
emotion-39.gif

I swiftly sought advice from Trading Standards/Consumer Direct, then fired-off a Consumer Direct template letter to Comet's MD. Next day I was called by the MD's PA, who gave me a reference code to take to my nearest Comet, thus enabling a return/full refund
emotion-5.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, it is definetely one step at a time here.

Cheers for that mate
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

update...

the very helpful young salesman at harvey normans has said that they will send me out a brand new v20 on monday, and take away my current set, which they will send back to panasonic for testing..

hopefully my new set is perfect, i really want it to be, but if not then i will pursue a refund, which i have been assured by harvey normans they will try to give me, pending discussions with panasonic..

i cant ask for more than that at this point to be fair, so we'll see what happens..
emotion-21.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:
update...

the very helpful young salesman at harvey normans has said that they will send me out a brand new v20 on monday, and take away my current set, which they will send back to panasonic for testing..

hopefully my new set is perfect, i really want it to be, but if not then i will pursue a refund, which i have been assured by harvey normans they will try to give me, pending discussions with panasonic..

i cant ask for more than that at this point to be fair, so we'll see what happens..
emotion-21.gif

Good luck
emotion-1.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

Good luck with this next one Max
emotion-21.gif

Well i have just walked away with £250 bill and that is that, they told me they could not give me a full refund because they would be losing even more money, they showed the figures and were taking a hit as it was.

I have had a long relationship with the shop we both did not want to spoil that.

It had got to stage where i could not even watch it any more because of how much it was blurring.

I know one thing i will never buy a grey tv ever again they are all jinx - o dear.

daveh75

gel:
emotion-21.gif

Well i have just walked away with £250 bill and that is that, they told me they could not give me a full refund because they would be losing even more money, they showed the figures and were taking a hit as it was.

I have had a long relationship with the shop we both did not want to spoil that.

It had got to stage where i could not even watch it any more because of how much it was blurring.

I know one thing i will never buy a grey tv ever again they are all jinx - o dear.
Did the shop agree the TV is faulty/not fit for purpose, gel?

D

Deleted member 2457

daveh75:gel:

emotion-21.gif

Hi Dave,

Nope, basically they just said that was the best they could do and that was that in the end.

I mean it was clearly blurred here and i had two people out from the shop and they both said it was we even tried different mains point and it still come out the same. I am very glad to get rid of it, i don't really see what else i could of done in the end.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

gel, the only way this shop would be taking a hit is if panasonic were not going to credit them for the tv, so heres a few questions

did a panasonic engineer look at your tv ?

if so, what did he say ?

have you contacted panasonic over this issue ?

has the store ?

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

gel, the only way this shop would be taking a hit is if panasonic were not going to credit them for the tv, so heres a few questions

did a panasonic engineer look at your tv ?

if so, what did he say ?

have you contacted panasonic over this issue ?

has the store ?

Hi Max

Nope two people from the shop and it was not a panasonic shop. My warranty states to contact the retailer, i do have my 5 year warranty with panasonic which i sent off for.

Nope i have not contacted panasonic over the issue just the retailer.

I don't think the store has either.

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

gel, i dont want to presume too much, but based on the info i have then i think the shop is being both unprofessional and unfair , the store i bought from contacted panasonic, which is standard procedure, and now the tv is going to be sent to them for testing whilst i recveive another.

this is what should have happened with you, why didnt the store contact panasonic about you're tv's issues ? how can they agree that you're tv is not working as it should, agree to take it back, and charge you money? something is not right here, and i feel the store may be abusing you're relationship ..

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
gel:daveh75:gel:

emotion-21.gif

Hi Dave,

Nope, basically they just said that was the best they could do and that was that in the end.

I mean it was clearly blurred here and i had two people out from the shop and they both said it was we even tried different mains point and it still come out the same. I am very glad to get rid of it, i don't really see what else i could of done in the end.

Cheers.

Gel, sorry, but you've been conned - the retailer has taken advantage of your grace and good nature.

A retailer has ONE chance to repair a TV/product. If it can't affect a repair, then you ARE ENTITLED TO, ACCORDING TO
emotion-55.gif
CONSUMER LAW
emotion-55.gif
, A FULL REFUND - no 'ifs', no 'buts'.
emotion-40.gif

Did you contact Consumer Direct, as suggested? (Consumer Direct's advice is free and easy to follow, simple enough, in fact, for a cretin such as I to use effectively.)

[EDIT] Please advise re the name and locale of your retailer - it needs to be avoided by others.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Ah, Gel, you're too nice! I'm frustrated reading this thread, 'cos the retailer is taking you for a ride. Them showing you figures that they're going to be out of pocket? So what? That's not your concern. Your concern is that your tv is faulty and you are entitled to a full refund. That's it, end of story. And charging you £250? ARGHHH!! It makes me so angry! I know you say that you have a good relationship with them, but it seems anything but that to me. It seems to me that you're giving them the benefit of the doubt, that they're doing all they can to help you, but they're not. They are taking advantage of the fact that you are obviously a nice guy, and are milking you.

I really don't mean any offence by that, Gel. I just don't like people being taken advantage of.

Please, please, please and one more please, don't roll over for these people. They aren't your friends. Get what you're entitled to.

That was a rant, I know and you're within your rights to tell me to mind my own business. I really hope it all works out for you, mate.

daveh75

Have to agree with Bretty,gel...And you don't have a good relationship with these people they're taking you for a ride. Didn't they already charge you a call charge of £100+? prior to this to look at the TV? Or am i getting confused.

A

Anonymous

gel, didnt that store swap around a few different sized v20's for you already?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel:Well i have just walked away with £250 bill

For what?

gel:and that is that, they told me they could not give me a full refund because they would be losing even more money, they showed the figures and were taking a hit as it was.

Are you crackers? You've spent £250 and you have nothing to show for it?

gel:I have had a long relationship with the shop we both did not want to spoil that.

No, and I can imagine they must love having you as a customer if you're fleeced that easily.

We've all given lots of advice on here and told you to insist on a full refund, go to Consumer Advice and so on, and you've still ended up £250 out of pocket.

I really give up with you, gel...

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
You have been right royally fleeced Gel. Which shop is it? Name and shame them. And then call Panasonic as I'm sure they would be mortified by this dealer's behaviour, especially given this thread!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts