my DREAM system. oh, maybe one day...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Shooter,

I'd recommend you start another thread. It would be unfair to hijack this thread. I believe there are a great many excellent DSP's out there. I'd recommend Anthem D2 but purely out of personal experience with their AVM20 but there are too many great sounding options to pretend that there is a "best". Just look for features you desire (like passthrough for serious 2 channel listening, number of XLR outputs and programmability, bass management etc.)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Of couse your absolutely right, i didn't want to hijack the thread i was just very interested in what was being said so my apologies and thank you.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! What would you call a lucky price on that one?
emotion-1.gif

it is just out so I am not expecting big discounts...

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:
OK, looks like I am about to move into the final stage of the upgrades - the new receiver. I have settled on the model - Marantz SR5005 which is just out. The criteria was simple - the chapest one with all hd sound formats, pre-outs and "clean' face and discrete remote codes available.

SR5005_U1B_Front_Closed_96dpi_w1200.jpg

I found the full remote codes set here: http://us.marantz.com/689.asp?category=AV&model=SR5005&go.x=14&go.y=9 (European site has nothing... why is this quite often the case that US sites have more useful stuff on them than UK?...)

I am now calling around dealers to check the price and availability.

Looks good AlmaataKZ, hows the price and availability?

Sorry, didn't want to hijack your thread about a receiver before.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Some dealers 4-5 days, some 2 weeks, some are only considering getting it. all said it is in store only due to Marantz requirements - reasons for which I do not understand.

One dealer offered what I thought was a good price so I placed a deposit for 1-2 weeks delivery - and will have to pick it up.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Well, I was going to post that my system is now complete and how fantastic everything is, but...

As I was re-programming my remote for the new set-up yesterday it ******* died. Died to death. Not responding to buttons or computer, does not reset or restore... I must have praised it too much (or too little!) the other day! bummer! So I now have 7 remotes to deal with and after 10 years of using a universal one that feels really strange!

A 'high' turned into a bit of a 'low'. Will I ever finish that system!?

Anyhow, here is the system (almost) complete:

5072969784_ac5ae0e797_o_d.jpg

5072968874_f9fe1ef0cd_o_d.jpg

5072969516_b16368aa85_o_d.jpg

5072969178_6ed73e352e_o_d.jpg

The receiver works really well, sounds very nice and the picture is great. So, apart from the remote, - and 8 months from the start
DONE!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Looks brilliant! I missed the addition of the benchmark DAC/Pre, very nice. BTW, I've found that a quality toslink makes a difference. I tried a cheap one and then upgraded to a high quality glass one and detail levels were noticable improved. Hard to believe as it does defy logic, but it's worth a try.

Does the mac mini sit in your hifi cabinet? Is your TV your monitor?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi, Jax! Time to have a drink to celebrate the completion of the system of which you are a godfather! since you are online, How about right now? pour yourself a glass of something nice. I'll standby...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
the benchmark was added quite early, long before the atcs joined. yes, the mac is right on the rack, in the middle and the tv is the monitor although i use it only when managing the music library. normal listening is without the tv - using the ipod touch to browse the library and the remote to control the rest of the system. i use the mac only for music so rarely need the tv for monitor duties.

i may try a fancy optical one day but as you say the logic is against it.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
AlmaataKZ:Hi, Jax! Time to have a drink to celebrate the completion of the system of which you are a godfather! since you are online, How about right now? pour yourself a glass of something nice. I'll standby...

Cheers! Had to dash off after that post, but I'm drinking now. A toast: May you enjoy a decade or more of the highest quality musical reproduction right in the comfort of your own living room. That's one very impressive system. With the mac feeding the benchmark and the iTouch managing the music, it's just plain sahweeeet! Congrats!
emotion-2.gif

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for posting this AlmaataKZ, that was a thoroughly enjoyable and interesting read, awesome looking system! When I'm driving round an old shed in a couple of years time because I spent all the money I was saving for a new car on my dream system I'll blame you and jaxwired
emotion-2.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
john1000000boy:The Screen looks a bit small..............(Joke!!)
emotion-5.gif
A brilliant system and the best thread i have seen!! Well Done
emotion-21.gif

Thanks! The screen is indeed on the small side but this is intentional. A larger one would overtake the room, especially with the speakers.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Cpt.Issues:

Thanks for posting this AlmaataKZ, that was a thoroughly enjoyable and interesting read, awesome looking system! When I'm driving round an old shed in a couple of years time because I spent all the money I was saving for a new car on my dream system I'll blame you and jaxwired
emotion-2.gif

Thanks!

... or just get a car with an awesome system inside!
emotion-2.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Jax, cannot catch you online. So, an offline toast (small glass of port) to Jax, who contributed inspiration for the system upgrade: may you enjoy years and years of music and hifi in all possible forms and shapes. Good luck with all your hifi and non-hifi projects and may you be happy for years to come!
emotion-2.gif
emotion-21.gif

Cheers!
emotion-22.gif

Separate thank you to all forum members who helped me over the year to navigate through today's kit, switches, amps, knobs, codecs, bitrates, hardware, software, computer based music and what not! May your posts always encounter positive and helpful responses - and never the anger of Mr E.
emotion-2.gif

Long live hifi (and all other hobbies)!

Cheers!

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Hear hear!

This has been one of the best threads since I've been on the forum. Thanks Almatakz and Jax. I raise my glass of bitter and twisted to you guys!

Cheers
emotion-22.gif
emotion-1.gif

T

the record spot

Yep, great thread and a great set-up. Wonderful stuff and a fine read. Enjoy!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, gents!

My remote is being fixed at the mo (hopefully!) so I am having a go at reprogramming it for the new system on the computer. I am trying to make it realy easy for my gf to use the system so she does not have to know what is happening and only needs to press one button and it is all automatic. as the remote is away I can actually have some time to think it through properly before jumping into loading stuff on to it so I even drew the 'logic tree' of how it is supposed to work. it turne dout wrong in many ways of cause as I am a novice in this but still was very useful as it makes it really visual and easy to spot where to improve.

emotion-21.gif

Been cranking up the volume today with Deep Purple Live at Montreuax. Very energetic stuff!
emotion-1.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Quote from another thread:

Dryfeld:

AlmaataKZ,

Inspired by you getting your dream sysytem I've decided to do the same in 2011 and, like you, have decided to go down the computer / active route. Alas, my budget doesn't stretch to ATCs, so I will be getting the ADM 9 Ts plus sub. I was wondering if you had any reflections on making the switch now that you've had your system for some time.

Best wishes,

Dave

Having the system for several months now I can post some reflections: I am very happy!

The "goods":

- Sound is excellent

- I can play up to 24/96 music

- the speakers are really special

- I also got bluray video and sound, freeview HD including recording, the sub is really strong

- I also have the option to use the macmini as a computer in the living room for any normal computer task.

The "not so goods":

- The part that is a bit awkward is the "HT bypass" connections. But it is OK as all the on/off switching, input selection and vol pre-setting is done by the remote using macros, so it is not a problem. (Still waiting for my Marantz RC5200 to be fixed, though).

- Also, it is about time iTunes/MacOS did sample rate switching automatically! And play FLAC natively (I have to convert now).

Would I do anything differently if I was doing it today?

Maybe.

Because things move on. E.g. Linn introduced native(?) ALAC support recently, there are new Olive models, new Linn DS, new Naims and new streamers from other makers, new DACs like e.g. Wyred4Sound so who knows what I would have ended up with if I started today. Sources and/or DAC might have been different. But I think the speakers, the sub and the receiver would have still been the same today. I could have had a look at the new AVI ADM40, though, who knows .. Or maybe I could have gotten ATC 150s classics (i.e. not towers and no sub) and put them on custom stands, the stands also designed and serving as a small hifi racks and housing the mac and the dac. Oh, maybe one day.!

So, if anyone is thinking of system overhaul these days I definitely recommend not to buy anything until you have a good look at:

- computer based sources or streamers

- standalone DACs or anything having good DACs built in

- hi rez playback and network capabilities

- active speakers / crossovers

- I would not bother about wireless as in my experience it was by far not reliable enough

- spend more on speakers. Sources will get 'old' quicker.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts