my DREAM system. oh, maybe one day...

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

NEMOaudio

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

This is my "system". It is a vintage system of more than 500 units.

You can visit my on-line museum for more details at 1001hifi.weebly.com

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/black%20beauty.jpg

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
... and it turns out ACS have stopped doing custom tips for apple phones...
smiley-frown.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
NEMOaudio said:
Hello,

This is my "system". It is a vintage system of more than 500 units.

You can visit my on-line museum for more details at 1001hifi.weebly.com

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/black%20beauty.jpg

that is an interesting collection! very nostalgic. What principle do you choose the gear on? Why (comparatively) only a few speakers?

Actually, your collection deserves a dedicated thread!

A

Anonymous

Very nice system you have Almaatakz, I seriously toyed with the idea of those atc towers recently but just not wife-acceptable enough sadly.

I used to have the benchmark dac-1 (plain) and it made a huge difference. But long since overshaddowed by subsequent dacs: opus 21, burson ha-160d, berkeley alpha, and now weiss dac 202. It occurs to me that you probably don't need a dac with preamp if it's only for computer playback, as you can get software with excellent digital volume control e.g. Amara. Then you could perhaps replace the hdr with something newer like the M2Tech Young dac or an old classic secondhand dac for less but better sound. Have you tried changing the internal benchmark jumpers to disable the preamp section and to adjust the gain to match the atc's?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, PA!

I have not even tought about replacing the benchmark. There are probably better dacs there but I would be only interested to try very few of them. The Weiss is very interesting, I would love to try it. I do not remember any other I would want to try.

re the pre-amp functinality, I think it is better to have vol control using that rather than software (although apparently as long as it is deep bit depth and dithering then should be as good if not better). I think I am just not interested enough in software. I tried amarra and pure music for example and did not like them - for reasons of interface and lack of integration, not for sound quality (I do not want to have to press any more buttons than I have now - I want to press less! my test for any new software or hardware set is how simple is the following sequence: download/rip a track, add it to a playlist, play that playlist).

in practice, I will stay with the benchmark for the forseeable future as I am happy with it and honestly spent enough on the recent upgrade to spend any more serious money on hifi in several years.

not enough time to enjoy the sound of what I already have! I am away from my system and music for 2 month - not good at all!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
... Finally got to re-setting up the system after moving to the new place 6 weeks ago! That was a loooooooong 6 weeks!

All connected up again and sounding fantastic. The room is different so it is now in a kind of recess and bass has changed completely - theres is more of it! I have not connected the sub yet but a thought of 'maybe no sub' has crossed my mind today
icon_e_surprised.gif
icon_eek.gif
!!!

6076881114_aa6f237450_d.jpg

A

Anonymous

i hate to say it, but that room looks way too small for those monster speakers - the bass will go wild, and soundstage not optimal. For the bass, you should look at some really good stands e.g. Townshend or Sonority or Stillpoints or AudiophileBase or Aurio Max Pros.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
john1000000boy said:
Glad you have it back up and running again.... Looks a lot cosier in there now?? The cabinets look even bigger now next to the tv!!!

John

Thanks, jb. the room is indeed smaller but the difference in sound I think comes more from the speakers being in a recess rather than being in a smaller room. most likely both factors contribute, as well as different floor material.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
yes, unfortunately came back from a short break to a flooded flat. looks like a valve was broken during some appliance installation work earlier and it was dripping for several days without us noticing. came back - kitchen flooded, living room half flooded and still have to find what the damage is downstairs!!!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
A year or so since the new system and I was thinking what would I do differently if I was doing it now (not that I am unhappy with the system, on the contrary. It would have been a slightly different way of achieving the same)

So, if I was doing it today I could have gone for:

- Nas + Squeezebox Touch instead of MacMini

- Small pre-amp with remote instead of Benchmark dac/preamp

- ATC 100s or 150s and no sub instead of ATC 50s + sub

Reasons:

- SB touch is more user friendly, especially for others at home who do not want to fiddle with the mac computer (however, SB touch would mean that I have to manage the library from another computer). a nas would also allow more options for general back up and sharing at home)

- Sb touch already has a dac and it does not sound much different from the benchmark. SB + preamp is also much cheaper than MacMini + benchmark.

- In the new flat I realised that the speakers can have better bass response so a sub is less necessary (although still nice to have!)

For the second system:

- still use SB touch (playing from nas)

- AVI ADM 9t instead of Denon DM38 + passive speakers

Reasons:

- less boxes and higher sound quality with the ADMs.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Very interesting AlmaataKZ. What would be the rough price difference between the two approaches? And have you given any further thought to changes to your second system?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
the main system woudl be a grand or 1.5 cheaper depending on the preamp and not considering sub/speakers options.

on the second system the plan is to have a demo of AVI ADMs - some time in November maybe.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Sb touch already has a dac and it does not sound much different from the benchmark. SB + preamp is also much cheaper than MacMini + benchmark.
It's interesting to hear that the Squeezebox Touch sounds almost good a £1.5K Benchmark DAC. I've quite tempted to get a SB Touch myself, I don't really need one but they do look very cool and it would be more convenient.

AlmaataKZ said:
ATC 100s or 150s and no sub instead of ATC 50s + sub.
Do you think that the ATC 100's or 150's might have too much bass in your new flat? I would have thought that the ATC 50 + sub would be better because you can adjust the bass depending on what your listening to.

AlmaataKZ said:
the second system the plan is to have a demo of AVI ADMs
It'll be interesting to see how well these compare to the ATC's.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
... and finally, after almost 3 months of beeing away, I can enjoy the music again. Took some days off so the music does not stop playing!

and, I finally got to audition some small speakers for the second system. Been off to Bartlett's HiFi today and had demos of (in order of demo):

Active - AVI ADM 9T, abt 1,000 gbp

ADM9_01.jpg

Passive - PMC OB1i, abt 1,000 gbp
PBC_DB1.jpg

Active - Adam Artist 3, abt 600 gbp
ARTist3.jpg

Active - Dynaudio Focus 110 A, abt 1,600 gbp
dynaudio_focus_110a.jpg

Impressions:

the ADMs sound excellent. I read a lot of people say they are short on bass, but I was quite impressed with the opposite - good powerful sound. excellent dynamics. comparing to my current active ATC 50s - not much of a compromise if any (given the size). vey impressive. on the large side and heavy. Finish quality I would say compared to the others is not as good (OK overall but some plastic details are cheap looking).

next, the PMC - I wanted to see any contrast with a passive speaker and also on bass (as transmission lines are supposed to be bassy). once again, impressive sound for the size, good dynamics, but a bit boomy to my taste. Good looks and finish quality.

next, Adam Artist 3 - again, excellent dynamics and, unexpectedly for the small size, good bass. Excellent finish quality (although I could do without the lights and wish the knobs were more refined)

next, Dynaudio Focus 110a - excellent sound but a bit boomy. moving away from wall helped a bit. excellent finish.

So, my choice based on auditioning: the ADMs.

Choice on reflection: Dunno yet. on coming back home and visualising the ADMs where they would go I realised that they are probably too big... which makes me think - Artist 3? ...

Anything else I should try?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
maybe lights are ok. the speakers would be powered via an ir remote controlled socket so the light will be only on when playing.

the adms woudl look a bit too imposing / hanging over on top of a tall chest of drawers... according to my other half... I actually agree.

Mr. Iceman

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Anything else I should try?

Try auditioning Focal's active SMC range - 40/50/60. The 40s can be head for less than 500 quid for two. They're tiny and built like a tank and produce incredibly big sound for the size, with neutral and precise presentation. Similarly important is their great looks. Needless to say I got me a pair, to use with SB Touch in the bedroom. :)

Really pleased with this setup.

TRENDING THREADS