my DREAM system. oh, maybe one day...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

So have you settled for the 50s or what, they look impressive, the 100s are a bit to huge for the space, how is the bass?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
50s it is. The bass is excellent.
I will try the C4 sub to see what effect it would have. If I like it I will keep it as well. If C4 can produce bass of the same quality as the 50s or 100s but deeper than 50s or 100s (in other words lower frequency response with the same low distortion) I think it will be fantastic.
I have returned the 100s.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Great review. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I think you've made a wise choice. If I had a huge house with a huge living room, I would want those big 100s, but for a normal living space I think the 50s fit much nicer and probably are less prone to room interaction. They will certainly look nicer and blend into your room easier. No doubt you've got yourself the creme-de-la-creme. When you think about the many years of enjoyment that purchase can provide, it's really a worthwhile investment. I don't regret a dime I've spent on my system. I listen everyday and I absolutely love it. Life is short and IMO music is one of God's great gifts to man and one of the most satisfying pleasures we engage in. Congrats again.
emotion-1.gif

One thing I'm curious about is how your worked this out with the dealer. They let you have brand new 100s and 50s and you agreed to buy one or the other? Very nice of them to arrange that for you...

A

Anonymous

agree totally with jaxwired, this has been a great thread, great pics and very nice step by step build up of things. Great setup to I like the active speaker idea. thumbs up
emotion-21.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired:

Great review. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I think you've made a wise choice. If I had a huge house with a huge living room, I would want those big 100s, but for a normal living space I think the 50s fit much nicer and probably are less prone to room interaction. They will certainly look nicer and blend into your room easier. No doubt you've got yourself the creme-de-la-creme. When you think about the many years of enjoyment that purchase can provide, it's really a worthwhile investment. I don't regret a dime I've spent on my system. I listen everyday and I absolutely love it. Life is short and IMO music is one of God's great gifts to man and one of the most satisfying pleasures we engage in. Congrats again.
emotion-1.gif

One thing I'm curious about is how your worked this out with the dealer. They let you have brand new 100s and 50s and you agreed to buy one or the other? Very nice of them to arrange that for you...

thanks, Jaxwired. I am very very happy with the dac and the speakers. I hope the sub will arrive soon and certainly look forward to the see how it will fair. If it is as special as the speakers I think I can expect to be very impressed.

I strongly beleive that when you spend (and that is after having saved it!) several grand on hifi you need to be absolutely sure what you are getting, that the bits match each other, it all sound good in you home, finish is what you want, your OH is happy etc etc and the only way to do it is a home demo.

I was looking for demos for abt two month and I did find one but notr a side by side and after a long time I was still unsure. And then I went to a hifi show - without any expectation, just to see what was on. It happenned so that absolutely everything I was looking for was there. One dealer had the benchmark hdr and he offered me a very good price and offered me to take it home for a trial. He also had atcs and had a show-only discount running and it was just before the ATC recent price increase so the total offer was very good. With that good an offer I was ready to go for the 100s but was really unsure if 50s should be ok. Also by then I have never seen the 50s or 100s towers in the flesh and nobody could show me the finish samples. So we talked about it and he offered to send me both 100s and 50s in my choice of finish so I can choose between them with th HDR, properly, no rush. I thought this unmatched offer is too good not to take and we made a deal. However, finish was still an issue (nobody I found had ATC finishes I was interested to see), so I spoke to an ATC rep (who was also at the show!) and they said I could come and visit. How is that for a lucky show visit?!

So, I am very happy with my dealer and think he is doing it the way it should be done. Very good!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
xon501:agree totally with jaxwired, this has been a great thread, great pics and very nice step by step build up of things. Great setup to I like the active speaker idea. thumbs up
emotion-21.gif

Thanks, xon501. Still to come:

Proejct No. 1 - still remains replacement of Rel Q100E with ATC C4 - still no date

Project No. 2 - second system - still early days - visited a couple of shops today to check how the Squezebox Touch works, but unsuccessfully. The guys at Richer Sounds refused to set it up on a network, and without going through this first it does not do anything else. bummer.

Anyhow, I ordered one from amazon. With their returns policy I am sure if it does not work with my gear I know I can return it without any problems.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
XHSRX:looks amazing. and i bet sounds amazing,

It really does, I cannot stop listening. I find these active ATCs quite special. If you have not already, I recommned to check them out when you have a chance.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Project No. 2 update:

Got the Denon DM38 today, so here it goes, the second system build-up.

Basically it is my old rack + the old speakers. I just went down to my local Richer Sounds after work (they had the best price) and brought it home. Very old-fashioned way!

The box is small but quite weighty.

4764622771_aaed89278f.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4764622771_aaed89278f.jpg

Nothing original on the looks but I think it looks all right:

4765259734_b8517bf0e3_o.jpg

Connect power, antennae, speakers :

4764624481_4c06761e5b.jpg

Ready!

4765262082_56226dbcff_o.jpg

4764626545_331d484d60.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/4764626545_331d484d60.jpg

Or, wait! Connect ipod:

4765263322_f3f2ed3c0e_o.jpg

4765263958_52bc6f1463_o.jpg

Done.

It sounds all right, too. The tracks on the ipod are in ALAC and the Denon takes digital from ipod so it sounds OK. Denon's remote controls ipod whn it is connected and ipod is also charging. The Gem is apt-x upgraded but I still have to get a dongle. I can also connect my netbook tot he Gem via USB.

A Rel Quake in cherry would have been nice too (one just went for 210 quid on ebay), but... oh, maybe later...

Squeezebox Touch is on its way, really looking forward to trying it. I hope I will be able to play my itunes library either over network or from a local HD.

The error message again! Cannot post the pics again... Grrr... EDIT: I found that if I try to edit posts about 10 days after it originally posted I am able to insert pictures! Weird!

A

Anonymous

So does the small unit power the large speakers well, as i was thinking to buy a DM38 change the standard speakers with my 9.1s and get a pair of dipole speakers for surround, are the denon speakers any good?????

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I only played it for a couple of hours so far but I think it has no problem. This set-up will be played on low levels only so I think it is absolutely fine.
I have not tried the Denon kit speakers so cannot comment.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Project No. 2 update:

The Squeezebox Touch arrived. Setup is really simple. I have tried playing it from a USB-powered HD drive but the Touch did not see it (it may be due to lack of power, I understand). so I tried to play from my MacMini over wireless (with SB server installed on the mini). Plays fine, sees all the playlists etc. but as my wireless is very weak it kept dropping out.

As wired network is not an option for me I got a pair of homeplug adapters and connected via those.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001J6NBCI/ref=oss_product

STD1_F5D4074.jpg

No set-up necessary for those, work as a real plug and play. SB touch now works brilliantly. Plays all my itunes playlists, inlcuding 24/96. Highly recommended!

This completes Project No. 2 aka the bedroom system. Apart from the pics (which I cannot post, again - error message!).

Still waiting for the sub on Project No.1...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Project No. 1 (main system) update

I am told the sub should be ready around Jul 30th...

The other remaining part for the main system upgrade is replacing the old TEAC receiver in order to take full advantage of the bluray sound formats.

I am looking for a mid range receiver with pre-outs (as the L and R front will be the actives). 5 channels would be enough but more is OK. Zone 2 speakers would be a nice to have for the future.

I was looking for one to fit the above requirements but also to fit a 155mm shelf and that limits the choice strongly. In fact, it is impossible. The slim ones do not have pre outs, the ones that do are not slim. I was hoping some new ones will come out but all new ranges announced recently by the main makers are the same. So I have been thinking about it...

I do have a taller shelf but it is taken by the centre speaker that is 162mm tall, so it too would not fit the 155mm shelf. So I started to look at my rack and as you can see above each shelf is standing on its own spikes. I thought maybe I can turn the spikes out a bit and make the shelf spacing a bit bigger... No, I could only lift the shelf abt 3mm before risking the spikes becoming loose. Not enough...

So I decided to order spikes that would fit properly and be slightly longer, just enough to make the 155mm shelf to become 165mm so I can fit the centre speaker on it, leaving the 200mm shelf free for a new receiver. 200-210mm (with new, longer spikes, hopefully) will open full choice of receivers for me.

So, I am looking at two things now -

- Where I can order the spikes of custom sizes and

- Which receiver I should get

Any advice?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
... and as revealed in the WHF September issue's BQ, all this upgrade is a gift from my lovely girlfriend of many years who is now my fiancee!

How is that for high WAF?

I am happy to report that she appreciates good music and good quality gear that brings it to home and she was absolutely cool even with keeping the 100s regardless of their size if I preferred so. I had to mention this is her gift in WHF BQ as to get such a serious gift and in the form of hifi which is my passion is really really great and I am glad seeing the lines about her gift in the mag made her smile!

Anyhow, the story continues. Project 1 is not completed yet. Sub still to arrive, receiver still to be chosen and a freeview hd box is to be selected. Chordette Gem to be sold (as it is redundant now) to fund the receiver purchase.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
... finally got some time to post. The music is playing in the background
emotion-1.gif

By now I am proficient in moving heavy boxes around. The trusty upside down door mat is serving its audiophile duties yet again:

emotion-1.gif
emotion-8.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Ok, 2 comments. First, thanks again for the best audio pics on WHF. I love all your pics and I also enjoy your floorplan diagram. That is one monster sub. WOW!

My other comment is, I was really shocked by your pic in this months WHF big question. For some reason because of your avatar I pictured you being more of the ripped jeans and pink floyd t-shirt kind of guy. So I was really surprised to see a guy in a jacket and loafers. Not judging, just surprised. I'd probably be surprised regardless of how you looked, LOL. Sort of like when you see a radio personality for the first time. They never look like they sound.

Anyway, awesome sub. Are you using that just for movies or for music as well? Does this complete your system? I hope you never have to move. ATC gear weighs a ton.

BTW, I really like how you found a nice place to tuck that big sub so it's sort of out of the way. Nice job!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Craig M.:woooaaaahhh!
emotion-11.gif
can't wait to find out how it integrates with the 50s.

trying it at the moment. not a lot of listening time up to now bu the weekend is approaching. report to follow.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired:

Ok, 2 comments. First, thanks again for the best audio pics on WHF. I love all your pics and I also enjoy your floorplan diagram. That is one monster sub. WOW!

Thanks, Jax! I thinkthe crown of the best kit pics belongs to forum member going under the name of "TheForce".

jaxwired:

My other comment is, I was really shocked by your pic in this months WHF big question. For some reason because of your avatar I pictured you being more of the ripped jeans and pink floyd t-shirt kind of guy. So I was really surprised to see a guy in a jacket and loafers. Not judging, just surprised. I'd probably be surprised regardless of how you looked, LOL. Sort of like when you see a radio personality for the first time. They never look like they sound.

Indeed, you never imagine people on forums or radio etc the way they really look. Ripped jeans? I used to have some in my 20s but not any more. I do not even own a pair of jeans now, for some reason. I do have a pink floyd hat, though. I even made it myslelf. Well, my mother sew it (she did a lot of that) when I was about 15. I then took a marker and drew Pink Floyd name all over it, kind of oversized, and the letters were like melting and dripping. As you can imagine, I thought that was really cool then! I still have it somewhere and even use it sometimes. the letters are all burnt out and can be barely seen so I hope I look not too silly in it.
emotion-2.gif

jaxwired:

Anyway, awesome sub. Are you using that just for movies or for music as well? Does this complete your system? I hope you never have to move. ATC gear weighs a ton.

Mainly music but also movies and even TV (at least it was with the Rel). But I am thinking of giving the new sub a separate power lead with remote control so I can switch it off when watcing TV or whenever. Additional 1000W is a bit of an overkill with SD TV and is only wasted.

this is a trial so I have not decided yet if I will keep teh C4. I will post here about the listening.

After the sub, the only outstanding thing will be a new receiver (I am thinking midrange, getting a bargain during the pre-3D clear-outs). And that should complete the 'once in 10 years' upgrade.

re the moving... Unfortunately, this is a rented flat, so I will have to move one day. It may be soon, it may be not, but I decided - to hell with it, I will bite the bullet and ship the gear when I move. I accepted that, so be it. However, this was one of the considerations against the SCM 100s.

jaxwired:

BTW, I really like how you found a nice place to tuck that big sub so it's sort of out of the way. Nice job!

yes, it is surprisingly very unobtrusive behind these sofas. However, what I want to try is move the sub to the other (right) side of the sofa and see if it makes any difference in terms of sound or 'obtrusiveness'. I think it will be reasonably out of the way there too and may affect sound. Still to be checked.

So, a 'sound' report is to follow.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
brilliant thread almaatakz, its great how you have progressed and how you have illustrated this, you own some beautiful pieces of kit there. i to have a chordette gem and from what i can follow you have had yours upgraded to apt x spec. did i understand this correctly and if so how did you do this? i am due a phone upgrade soon and would seriously consider an apt x phone if i can upgrade my gem. also tho you said you havent bought a dongle yet for streaming so i guess you havent heard if it makes a difference or not (is this still the case?) but all the reviews seem to be positive, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bluebrazil:brilliant thread almaatakz, its great how you have progressed and how you have illustrated this, you own some beautiful pieces of kit there. i to have a chordette gem and from what i can follow you have had yours upgraded to apt x spec. did i understand this correctly and if so how did you do this? i am due a phone upgrade soon and would seriously consider an apt x phone if i can upgrade my gem. also tho you said you havent bought a dongle yet for streaming so i guess you havent heard if it makes a difference or not (is this still the case?) but all the reviews seem to be positive, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, I did manage to upgrade my Gem to apt-x but Chord does not do these upgrades any more. I think I just slipped in before they stopped it. I still do not have a dongle and actually the Gem is now redundant as I struggle to find a use for it since I got the Benchmark and the Squeezbox Touch (I will use the money from the Gem to fund the receiver purchase). That is a real shame as the Gem sounds very very good (via USB). The improvement that the Gem brough has triggered this whole upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts