Musical fidelity M6i or Naim Nait xs to drive my B&W 683

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
Am I dreaming or can it be the edge on high en low on cd's is taken away when I turn up the volume?

Are you saying that you find some CDs sound less edgy when the volume is turned up?

I also agree with Acalex's view in the above post. I buy CDs and rip them, and there is something quite tactile about using something like an iPad to browse and select albums.....compared to Vinyl, CDs small cheap plastic case (which is easily cracked) holds no great appeal. Once you've had the convenience of "digital control", you will never go back to handling CDs.

I will also stick my neck out and say, that when you've heard what a Majik DS can do (with a 35i), you will put your money here, rather than upgrading your TT.....I get the feeling that your musical taste (in both type and presentation) is less "romantic" than Acalex, so I think the strengths of the DS will suit you very well.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I will give the DS a audition pretty soon, even if the first step true digital music will certenly be the SBT (buget wise certenly if I end up buying the AMS).

Of course I will let you know what my findings are ;-)

For the momment I had a message from the dealer I can keep the AMS a litle longer as He is away for buisness :cheers:

I love this amp more an more, Even if I still feel somtimes on some tracks there is to much bass or a bit to high, This is less an less

It just sound right. Where there I feel there is a slip it's mostly the recording. Because put the cd on "scratch my back" from P. Gabriel, Enya or Katy Melau live in Arena An it's just heaven everything is in place an the detail is amazing the voice is warm...

Altrough I still prefer the slightly warmer an controlled presentation of the Vinyl.

I spend my day cleaning records an listen to all type of music. An looking at it keeps discovering my music...each time I put somthing new on Im courious of what's going to happen

So if you didn't guess it I'm praticly sold...I guess I had to get used to it a bit, I also think the repositioning of my speakers have something to do with it. This is actualy not the first time this happens to me When I auditioned the M3i & M6i at first I prefered the M3i an it's only afther setteling down that I really understud what the M6i was capable of.

So I go climbing this weekend, my first love in life :bounce: :wave: but will be listening again next week see IF I'm still sold then :dance:

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

The AMS left my apartment for 2 day's now, still didn't reconect the NAD at this momment....

Asmy desission is comming closer I actualy get more an more anctious about making the right choice.....

Can't stop thinking about it an considering my options...MF.....wich one or Sugden....(still in the back of my head as I really enjoyed the demo... actualy for me one of the best I've been to)

The thing is the dealer said I should think twice about it as when I hooked it up at first I had the feeling there was to much bas.

But I told him also afther repositioning it was almost perfect so.?....

On think that I didn't expect is that he told me my room acoustic was actualy quite good with a lot of space to the sealing

an a lot of corners an well furnished, wich he said is well absorbinh but that I already knew. What surpriced me is was that I always tought that living under a roof was a synony of bad acoustic.

But he told my I should not close the mezanine as it give more space to the sound like it is now :?

So for now I promissed my self to wait for the demo of friday with Alex comparing AMS, M6 pre, prx an i

Beside I wait for the reply of a dealer I contacted who might be able to give me a great deal on an ex demo AMS if he come's true the choice is already made....

as I would more or less stay in my budget :cheers:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Roby said:
Hello,

The AMS left my apartment for 2 day's now, still didn't reconect the NAD at this momment....

Asmy desission is comming closer I actualy get more an more anctious about making the right choice.....

Can't stop thinking about it an considering my options...MF.....wich one or Sugden....(still in the back of my head as I really enjoyed the demo... actualy for me one of the best I've been to)

The thing is the dealer said I should think twice about it as when I hooked it up at first I had the feeling there was to much bas.

But I told him also afther repositioning it was almost perfect so.?....

On think that I didn't expect is that he told me my room acoustic was actualy quite good with a lot of space to the sealing

an a lot of corners an well furnished, wich he said is well absorbinh but that I already knew. What surpriced me is was that I always tought that living under a roof was a synony of bad acoustic.

But he told my I should not close the mezanine as it give more space to the sound like it is now :?

So for now I promissed my self to wait for the demo of friday with Alex comparing AMS, M6 pre, prx an i

Beside I wait for the reply of a dealer I contacted who might be able to give me a great deal on an ex demo AMS if he come's true the choice is already made....

as I would more or less stay in my budget :cheers:

Which one?

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

But I told him also afther repositioning it was almost perfect so.?...

Is there such a thing as too much bass!!? 8)

For me its not so much that the AMS has too much bass, it just has such depth & tonality in the bass. So rich & warm, not muddy at all. Admittedly my speakers probably do tighten things up, I never got a chance to listen to it on my big floorstanders.

As Cno said on Alex's thread, the Focals are a pretty detailed speaker, but maybe in this regard they are an ideal pairing with the AMS, they balance the bass out nicely. Doesn't hurt that they look so sexy as well! :dance:

I just keep falling in love with the set-up more & more every day. It's like having a new & welcome member of the family :p

As for accoustics, I was of the understanding that corners are generally a bad thing (not always). But pretty easy to overcome with basic room treatments to get rid of any bass traps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
As Cno said on Alex's thread, the Focals are a pretty detailed speaker, but maybe in this regard they are an ideal pairing with the AMS, they balance the bass out nicely. Doesn't hurt that they look so sexy as well! :dance:

I just keep falling in love with the set-up more & more every day. It's like having a new & welcome member of the family :p

As for accoustics, I was of the understanding that corners are generally a bad thing (not always). But pretty easy to overcome with basic room treatments to get rid of any bass traps.

I have said before - the 35i is addictive.

After my home trial, I returned it as I thought that I couldn't justify the expense. For the following months, I missed it every time I put on some music. I had crossed a line that I would never come back from. When the dealer made a tempting offer, I had little resistance left, and the rest is history.

The Focals have amazing bass (amount and quality) for their size, and are a fantastic match with the 35i.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:

After my home trial, I returned it as I thought that I couldn't justify the expense. For the following months, I missed it every time I put on some music. I had crossed a line that I would never come back from. When the dealer made a tempting offer, I had little resistance left, and the rest is history.

The Focals have amazing bass (amount and quality) for their size, and are a fantastic match with the 35i.

You have no idear.....(actualy you do) but I'm thinking about it all the time. At this momment I almost made peace with the cost..not completly :-(

At this momment I didn't reconect my NAD... what doe's that mean... :? I will do that this weekend I hope.

I still have a demo this evening with Alex let's see if I see clearer afther that.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Neuphonix said:

()

Do you think this is a Class A addiction thing going on Cno?

because that's how I'm finding it when I listen to any other solid state amp, they just don't portray the same depth of sweetness and emotion of my IA-4.

Cheers

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:

because that's how I'm finding it when I listen to any other solid state amp, they just don't portray the same depth of sweetness and emotion of my IA-4.

Cheers

Mac

It's hard to speak for anyone else, but other than a tube amp, I don't see myself changing for those exact reasons.....

though I was very impressed by the musicality of the Arcam AVR600 and AV888/ P777.

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Cheers

Mac

It's hard to speak for anyone else, but other than a tube amp, I don't see myself changing for those exact reasons.....

though I was very impressed by the musicality of the Arcam AVR600 and AV888/ P777.

A Class addiction? Almost sounds a bit elitist! But I understand exactly what you mean.

I have appreciated Roby's (& Alexs') measurements of levels of improvement against money spent. From what he has said so far I can't help but think the m6i sounds about the best when you measure it up against the dollars.

Having just thrown the budget out the window myself, I can respect this more considered approach.

For me however the philosophy is generally, things that I use everyday go as hard as possible, hang the expense. I get pleasure every day.

Recently went through this with a coffee machine, bought the cheap one & regretted it. Stepped up to a more professional level & now every morning I'm glad I did it. After five years of pleasure there is no way I'm going to look back & think I'm glad I saved a couple of thousand. Not meaning to sound frivolous, budgets are important, but how do you put a dollar figure on pleasure?

I guess the danger lurks when you open pandoras box you may never be satisfied again

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:

Cheers

Mac

A Class addiction? Almost sounds a bit elitist! But I understand exactly what you mean.

I have appreciated Roby's (& Alexs') measurements of levels of improvement against money spent. From what he has said so far I can't help but think the m6i sounds about the best when you measure it up against the dollars.

Having just thrown the budget out the window myself, I can respect this more considered approach.

For me however the philosophy is generally, things that I use everyday go as hard as possible, hang the expense. I get pleasure every day.

Recently went through this with a coffee machine, bought the cheap one & regretted it. Stepped up to a more professional level & now every morning I'm glad I did it. After five years of pleasure there is no way I'm going to look back & think I'm glad I saved a couple of thousand. Not meaning to sound frivolous, budgets are important, but how do you put a dollar figure on pleasure?

I guess the danger lurks when you open pandoras box you may never be satisfied again

I like your "everyday items" philosophy. Using quality stuff gives pleasure everyday and when you consider the extended lifespan it can even work out cheaper.

About Pandoras box, I think it's just a stage to go through, at the end of the day you can either afford/justify the purchase or you can't. It's still good to hear the better gear so that you're not constantly wondering what if. The simple fact is that ANY system however expensive, can almost always be improved. Though we all know about diminishing returns and it's for each individual to find out where it kicks in for them.

Specifically on Class A. I'm a fan too, but I think they make more sense in a 10k system than a 3-5k one. And that for me, is further than I want to go. And not very practical or "green" if run all day. I'm reaching a personal conclusion that a good musical amp with better cables gets close enough to the grain-free sound of pure Class A. But that's another story...

Like on the "other" topic, the best approach is probably to forget about the tech (I.e class A, AB, valves etc) and just choose what sounds best to you at the price you're willing to pay.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well...I also want to add something to the class A addiction....because I think it's real. Once you have heard a good A class amp, is difficult to forget it and everything else sounds almost clinical and mechanical when compared to it. It can really get the best out of music...at a price of course. Weight, temperature, inefficiency, cost...

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I must say the energy usage was a pretty big consideration for me as well, my system certainly does get extended periods of usage.

The guy at the shop who sold me the amp has another MF class A, not sure which model, but he says he just leaves it on permanently!

I'm interested (not necessarily looking forward) to see my next power bill :pray:

It is heading into winter over here at the moment, so maybe I just won't turn the air-con on!

Either way it sounds great, & while it certainly bent the so called budget completely out of shape, I'm choosing to look forward rather than backward.

I could be wrong here but I feel that overall the new speakers have made a bigger diference than the amp. Both together are a sensational pairing, but the Diablos are still the star of the show.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
I must say the energy usage was a pretty big consideration for me as well, my system certainly does get extended periods of usage.

The guy at the shop who sold me the amp has another MF class A, not sure which model, but he says he just leaves it on permanently!

I'm interested (not necessarily looking forward) to see my next power bill :pray:

It is heading into winter over here at the moment, so maybe I just won't turn the air-con on!

Either way it sounds great, & while it certainly bent the so called budget completely out of shape, I'm choosing to look forward rather than backward.

I could be wrong here but I feel that overall the new speakers have made a bigger diference than the amp. Both together are a sensational pairing, but the Diablos are still the star of the show.

I liked a lot the system used on the Plinius SA103 power amp where it switch automatically to AB mode if there is no musig played for 15 minutes I think...in this way you can leave it on permanently without having to think too much about power bill...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paradiziac said:
Specifically on Class A. I'm a fan too, but I think they make more sense in a 10k system than a 3-5k one. And that for me, is further than I want to go. And not very practical or "green" if run all day. I'm reaching a personal conclusion that a good musical amp with better cables gets close enough to the grain-free sound of pure Class A. But that's another story...

I think there are some valid points there, but I personally think that Class A can do the business without spending £10k.....I would be looking to the likes of Pure Sound, Icon Audio, Sugden and Unison Research for amps; and Audio Note, Proac, JM Reynaud and Opera for speakers.

Class A will always come with a power penalty, and for background music that's on all day, it's advisable to get some cheap alternative ie. keep the Class A for "proper listening sessions".

IMO. There are a few Class A/B amps that are organic/musical if you dig about, and I agree with your point about cables.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
paradiziac said:

I think there are some valid points there, but I personally think that Class A can do the business without spending £10k.....I would be looking to the likes of Pure Sound, Icon Audio, Sugden and Unison Research for amps; and Audio Note, Proac, JM Reynaud and Opera for speakers.

Class A will always come with a power penalty, and for background music that's on all day, it's advisable to get some cheap alternative ie. keep the Class A for "proper listening sessions".

IMO. There are a few Class A/B amps that are organic/musical if you dig about, and I agree with your point about cables.

I guess it's more of a personal opinion based on limited experience. In fact, I have the A21a (pure A) and the Mystro (AB). The idea was as you suggested, to bring out the Class A for the serious sessions. But I find myself preferring the Mystro more and more. Especially after a cable upgrade. The lower powered Class A has charms, but personally I think I'd want the Masterclass or your AMS 35i before I wouldn't feel I was compromising elsewhere e.g bass control, timing, dynamics, sheer power, broad speaker compatibility. If I won the lottery I'd get one of those amps tomorrow along with suitable hi end speakers! But for normal life I can live without them. There's always live music for the odd special experience!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paradiziac said:
I guess it's more of a personal opinion based on limited experience. In fact, I have the A21a (pure A) and the Mystro (AB). The idea was as you suggested, to bring out the Class A for the serious sessions. But I find myself preferring the Mystro more and more. Especially after a cable upgrade. The lower powered Class A has charms, but personally I think I'd want the Masterclass or your AMS 35i before I wouldn't feel I was compromising elsewhere e.g bass control, timing, dynamics, sheer power, broad speaker compatibility. If I won the lottery I'd get one of those amps tomorrow along with suitable hi end speakers! But for normal life I can live without them. There's always live music for the odd special experience!

Both your Sugdens sound great, but for low powered Class A, a good speaker match makes a big difference.

For a complete system under £5k, you could do a lot worse than this:
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/audio-note-zero-system-963545/review

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
paradiziac said:

Both your Sugdens sound great, but for low powered Class A, a good speaker match makes a big difference. For a complete system under £5k, you could do a lot worse than this: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/audio-note-zero-system-963545/review

Thanks for the tip, but I'm very happy with my basic system components. For now... :rofl:

My Audio Physic speakers are generally OK with 20W+, in fact the previous owner used a valve amp... :twisted:

So Roby, what did you get?

M6i, a big bag of CDs and a climbing trip?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
paradiziac said:
Thanks for the tip, but I'm very happy with my basic system components. For now... :rofl:

My Audio Physic speakers are generally OK with 20W+, in fact the previous owner used a valve amp... :twisted:

It wasn't really meant as a suggested change, rather a follow up on the discussion on how to get a Class A sound for less than £10k (though strictly speaking, the AN is an A/B amp that's heavily biassed in Class A).

Sugden + AP would be very good indeed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts