Musical Fidelity ams35i

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
Morning All,

Has anyone compared / listened to the AMS and M6500 .... It would interesting to know how they differ sound wise ... And does anyone know what class the M6 is?

Neuphonix, Roby and Acalex all compared them.....and all preferred the AMS 35i....and I think Roby preferred the M6i to the M6500.

Soundwise, the 35i was more musical, involving and enjoyable - seimic bass; emotive midrange and a sweet, detailed treble, are traits of this amp (as are a stupidly heavy remote; volume that goes up too quickly; a thump through the sub when turned on or off and a lot of heat and power usage).

....it's also the most enjoyable amp I've heard under 10k.

The M6 is AB.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for sharing Cno - I assumed you'd have first hand experience. I love my amp and find it difficult to imagine that anything would sound more musical, dynamic and smooth. There is allot of positive comments at towards the AMS , which makes me wonder why mf stopped making it ....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
Thanks for sharing Cno - I assumed you'd have first hand experience. I love my amp and find it difficult to imagine that anything would sound more musical, dynamic and smooth. There is allot of positive comments at towards the AMS , which makes me wonder why mf stopped making it ....

I have not heard the M6500, but the M6.

I suspect that MF stopped making it because:

1. People couldn't get their head around the price for 35 Watts.

2. It simply isn't "Green" enough for today's world.

This is an amp for people who would like Valves, but couldn't be bothered with all the the faff.

It really is a very different listening experience to the monster MF amps. It has the gift of mixing delicacy and slam in a very euphonious package.

The usual caveat applies - try to listen before making a decision.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for sharing - all very interesting - and yes, I agree in listening / auditioning to help form a judgement / opinion.

Do you think there is anything similar to the AMS in today's 'modern' amps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Kubs said:
Thanks for sharing - all very interesting - and yes, I agree in listening / auditioning to help form a judgement / opinion.

A good choice would be the Sugden Masterclass IA-4.....it's not quite as powerful, but quite close.

Other Amps to look at, would be Class A offerings from Luxman or Accuphase.

Have you considered looking at speakers instead.....something like the Kef Reference 1 would give quite an improvement.

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
It is tempting to take a punt but I'm a firm believer in auditioning especially at home if possible.

I regards to speakers, that will probably be my next upgrade or possibly the DAC ... Or maybe the steamer ... Or ....

Kef ref 1, PMC 26 and atc 40 are on the list to audition when I get the time.

Maybe I'll get some inspiration from the Indulgence hi fi show.

Kubs said:

Yes, but they are not selling well ;-)

Which is probably why the AMS 35i is no longer made. Sad to say.

Unfortunately an extremely good Class A amp is neither cheap to produce or run, and cheap inefficient speakers are.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts