Naim or Musical fidelity

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I used to own a Musical Fidelity amp a while ago and also found it be very smooth. Nothing wrong with that, I still loved every minute of it.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
But Cno, this was just prior to buying the Leema, I was comparing it with the Arcam A65+. Yes, the MF. from memory had 150 watts (or could be 200), but the MF sounded far too thick and lifeless.

That means it wasn't the current model that you tried, and they are different.

Certainly wasn't the 'M' models. Have they really changed that much?

IMO. They are better. "Much" is subjective......It also depends which model you had on demo.

This creature.

No. Sorry to disagree with you but "much" not subjective in this context. That is just semantics or a forum appeasement. It retailed at about £1300, and when a £375 amp beats around the head (that could be deemed as subjective) then something is drastically wrong.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
This creature.

No. Sorry to disagree with you but "much" not subjective in this context. That is just semantics or a forum appeasement. It retailed at about £1300, and when a £375 amp beats around the head (that could be deemed as subjective) then something is drastically wrong.

Here is a quote lifted from Stereophile's Best Integrated Amps 2013 (in Class B section) that gives some insight:

"Circuitry derives from Musical Fidelity’s Titan series. Like the M3CD, the M3i had “a direct, ingratiating quality,” with detail, definition, and an overall tonal rightness, said ST. Though it lacked the bass control of the NAD 375BEE, the M3i exhibited greater refinement in the midrange and treble. “One of Musical Fidelity’s best integrateds ever,” says Sam, “which is saying a lot.”

Here is an excerpt from Hi-Fi Choice, that doesn't describe a boring amp, which would send one to sleep...and would certainly suggest a fairly big sonic difference from the model you had on demo:

"Life in the fast lane"

"Summarised in one word, the M3i could only be described as ‘entertaining’. It will replay anything with a sense of excitement and liveliness that is hard not to like.

That this punch and timing is coupled to excellent tonality and soundstage and placed in a well- finished and relatively well-specified box, results in a very strong performer at the price point.

The slightly boisterous presentation it can sometimes display with gentler music may not be to everybody’s taste, but many will revel in the sheer enjoyment that the M3i can bring to listening.

If this is the result of a new Musical Fidelity philosophy and an example of what we can expect in the future, then we hope it is one that the firm will follow enthusiastically for some time to come. The M3i is definitely a welcome addition to the fold.

LIKE: Extremely engaging performer with excellent sonics and solid build

DISLIKE: May be too forward if incorrectly partnered

WE SAY: Thoroughly enjoyable performer that will work well across a variety of systems"

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
This creature.

Here is a quote lifted from Stereophile's Best Integrated Amps 2013 (in Class B section) that gives some insight:

"Circuitry derives from Musical Fidelity’s Titan series. Like the M3CD, the M3i had “a direct, ingratiating quality,” with detail, definition, and an overall tonal rightness, said ST. Though it lacked the bass control of the NAD 375BEE, the M3i exhibited greater refinement in the midrange and treble. “One of Musical Fidelity’s best integrateds ever,” says Sam, “which is saying a lot.”

Here is an excerpt from Hi-Fi Choice, that doesn't describe a boring amp, which would send one to sleep...and would certainly suggest a fairly big sonic difference from the model you had on demo:

"Life in the fast lane"

"Summarised in one word, the M3i could only be described as ‘entertaining’. It will replay anything with a sense of excitement and liveliness that is hard not to like.

That this punch and timing is coupled to excellent tonality and soundstage and placed in a well- finished and relatively well-specified box, results in a very strong performer at the price point.

The slightly boisterous presentation it can sometimes display with gentler music may not be to everybody’s taste, but many will revel in the sheer enjoyment that the M3i can bring to listening.

If this is the result of a new Musical Fidelity philosophy and an example of what we can expect in the future, then we hope it is one that the firm will follow enthusiastically for some time to come. The M3i is definitely a welcome addition to the fold.

LIKE: Extremely engaging performer with excellent sonics and solid build

DISLIKE: May be too forward if incorrectly partnered

WE SAY: Thoroughly enjoyable performer that will work well across a variety of systems"

Stereophile also stated that the Electro EC1-3 was bright. This is why I take no real notice of reviews. I'd rather trust my ears and decide from there. Without any question the MF I heard was dull, lifeless and... certainly wasn't worth £1300 price tag.

I have a real issue with (some) people saying Class A amps have so much texture, whereas blah blah blah... I remember baking a cake, it had beautiful texture but tasted like EDITED.

My view is, with any amp, what you give is what you get (to coin a Weller lyric), regardless of whether it is Class A, A/B, C, D, E, F, G so on and so forth. Synergy is worth more spec sheet conjecture.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Stereophile also stated that the Electro EC1-3 was bright. This is why I take no real notice of reviews. I'd rather trust my ears and decide from there. Without any question the MF I heard was dull, lifeless and... certainly wasn't worth £1300 price tag.

I have a real issue with (some) people saying Class A amps have so much texture, whereas blah blah blah... I remember baking a cake, it had beautiful texture but tasted like EDITED.

My view is, with any amp, what you give is what you get (to coin a Weller lyric), regardless of whether it is Class A, A/B, C, D, E, F, G so on and so forth. Synergy is worth more spec sheet conjecture.

I know you take exception to sweeping generalizations, especially when others were referring to your Pulse and MAs. I am only trying to make the point that having heard one previous model MF amp a couple of years ago, you can't infer that all MF amps sound woolly.

Even if you have lost faith with Stereophile (over one review), the HFC one is quite telling, and in some ways is fairly similar.

Regarding Class A.......sometimes you just have to witness it, to understand what the fuss is about. These things are very hard to capture accurately with words.

PP, you are pretty set in your ways, so I'm going to shut up now, as I don't think I'm making any headway. ;)

Sorry to OP for diversion.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I know you take exception to sweeping generalizations, especially when others were referring to your Pulse and MAs. I am only trying to make the point that having heard one previous model MF amp a couple of years ago, you can't infer that all MF amps sound woolly.

Even if you have lost faith with Sterephile (over one review), the HFC one is quite telling, and in some ways is fairly similar.

Regarding Class A.......sometimes you just have to witness it, to understand what the fuss is about. These things are very hard to capture accurately with words.

PP, you are pretty set in your ways, so I'm going to shut up now, as I don't think I'm making any headway. ;)

Sorry to OP for diversion.

I'm as open anyone to different propositions, I know what I like and dislike. You're right about me taking exception to people knocking the Pulse and MAs, especially when most haven't heard the combo in a room with decent acoustics.

Since buying the PMCs (this is a genuine personal opinion, as I've owned RS6s since 2007 and the Pulse from 2010, it should hold validity), the biiggest problem with the MAs was not solely the tweeter, but the midrange, which obv includes the tweeter and mid/bass driver. I think this why Arcam works so well with MAs - IMO Arcam amps have a sublime midrange which makes up for the slight shortfall with Silver range. And yes, the Arcam has a better midrange than the Leema....

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm as open anyone to different propositions, I know what I like and dislike. You're right about me taking exception to people knocking the Pulse and MAs, especially when most haven't heard the combo in a room with decent acoustics.

A bit like you dismissing £800 speakers paired with a £1600 amp

I tried some £1200 speakers - they didnt cut it and the £800 speakers were better in my system and my room.

Anyway glad you have got rid of the bloated bass of your former speakers :)

stevebrock said:

A bit like you dismissing £800 speakers paired with a £1600 amp

I tried some £1200 speakers - they didnt cut it and the £800 speakers were better in my system and my room.

Anyway glad you have got rid of the bloated bass of your former speakers :)

If you say so...:shhh:

If those Totems had rega stickers on them you'd be cartwheeling.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well to be honest I am genuinely surprised you MA's have been replaced, I thought they were cemented to your living room floor!

My Gyro will be here for Xmas - couldnt bring myself to give Roy £1600 for an RP8

stevebrock said:
Well to be honest I am genuinely surprised you MA's have been replaced, I thought they were cemented to your living room floor!

My Gyro will be here for Xmas - couldnt bring myself to give Roy £1600 for an RP8

The RS6s were/are still fabulous. As I've always said, don't expect a Rolls Royce with Mini money. Within the sub-£1000 floorstander catagory they are still a tremendous buy.

Mind you, regards the PMC, I'm glad very few people on this site have heard them - they just don't know what they're missing. :dance:

Can see the Gyro going back after a week... darn those badges. :cheers:

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Talking of demos how long do people think that they should last? I was thinking that i have four different combinations to listen to and the same four tracks for each combination. 16 songs 4 minutes each with equipment changes meamns around 1 1/2 hours. Is that a good average, what would others do?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts