Naim or Musical fidelity

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I have had a couple of demos recently and currently my choice is this. Replace my broken CD player with something like an Audiolab 8200 to go with my B&W 685's and RA-05 or replace the amp as well at the same time and upgrade the system and the speakers at a later date. I tried the Naim CD5si and Naim NAIT 5si combination with tannoy floorstanders and liked it. The important demo is on Saturday as my wife is coming with me. Someone has suggested trying the Musical Fidelity M3 combo as well. Now David at Frank Harvey already has three sets of speakers to lug around on Saturday along with two amps and CD players so i can compare both options and i know that i cant try everything at this price base but in your esteemed opinions is it worth listening to the MF products as well? How will it sound sonically different from the Naim? We listen to classical, rock pop etc and we like a good driving sound that is entertaining.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It is always worth listening to different products.

Naim is more upfront, exciting and "foot-tappy"......some might say brash.

MF is smoother and a little more refined, but a little less lively.

They are different enough, that you are likely to prefer one presentation or the other.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
shep1968 said:
I certainly tapped my foot when i did hear the naim. Would you say sonically that the MF is like the roksan Kandy? That i didnt like at all.

I haven't heard the Kandy in a while, but I'd say (from memory) that it was bolder sounding than the MF.....remember, a change of speakers can turn what you think, on its head.

I'm trying to keep my preferences out of your decision.....not always easy. :)

iceman16

I agree with Cno here.. I used to have a Naim set up (cdx2/202/250.2/hicap/napsc). If you want something "snappy, foot tapping" fast and tuneful..Naim is the way to go. BUT for overall musicality with any genre for long period listening without fatigue and more pleasing, Try MF, but that does'nt mean it will work with any speakers. IMO MF is not suitable with too warm or laidback sounding speakers. YMMV:)

Naim amplification can be in ya face with the wrong speakers, but with the right set-up Naim is not fatiguing. From personal experience MF is warm and wooly sounding. Possibly the worst hi-fi experience I had.

Can have a agile, emotive sound without fatigue.

iceman16

plastic penguin said:
Naim amplification can be in ya face with the wrong speakers, but with the right set-up Naim is not fatiguing. From personal experience MF is warm and wooly sounding. Possibly the worst hi-fi experience I had.

PP,

That's the same reason why Im keeping my speakers:grin: .Synergy:dance:

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I listened to the Naim with only Tannoy DCT6 SE speakers. Will be listening on Saturday with 685's and also KS50's. I listened to the Roksan with an audiolab 8200 cdp with both 685's and the KS50's and in both hearings preferred the sound of my current amp the RA-05 to the Kandy

iceman16 said:
plastic penguin said:

PP,

Yup, it's about getting that right combo. Having heard naim with my old MAs it was nasty. Rig up some PMCs and that changes dramatically. Not just presentation, but tonal qualities too.

Regards to MF, had them at home with the RS6s (should intheory sound lively) and it was awful. Soft bass and lacking any drive - although it had huge reserves of power.

iceman16 said:
Hi,don't be fooled by first impressions. I've been there mate..Listen for a long period and see what you like most.:)

Yup, some systems take a long time before you hear the benefits, others can hit you between the eyes immediately. Usually the latter isn't a long-term keeper.

TBF to the OP, IME, there's little between sub-£1000 integrated amps.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Regards to MF, had them at home with the RS6s (should intheory sound lively) and it was awful. Soft bass and lacking any drive - although it had huge reserves of power.

How long ago was that?.......the current models are supposed to be superior. At the speed MF used to make changes, that could be several models back.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

How long ago was that?.......the current models are supposed to be superior. At the speed MF used to make changes, that could be several models back.

I'm with PP on this. I've heard most of the MF range in the last 6 months, and I think they're very up and down. The top-end Class A stuff is wonderful. The Class D stuff is very good and keenly priced. But I don't really rate the mid-range Class AB amps.

YMMV, as ever.

:santa:

Matt

beefeater

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
My opinion differ to quite a few of the replys in this thread. I auditioned musical fidelity m3i and naim nait xs with kudos x2 speakers. I have also heard m3i on psb imagine t. Both amps have PRAT (pace rythm & timing), however m3i sound airy to me wheras xs sound earthy. Of the two, I would choose musical fidelity. It sounded more open, brighter and livelier. If you ask me, it would suit neutral or darker/warmer sounding speakers like psb, dynaudio or b&w. Hope you get the chance to check both amps out and post your opinion :?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
I'm with PP on this. I've heard most of the MF range in the last 6 months, and I think they're very up and down. The top-end Class A stuff is wonderful. The Class D stuff is very good and keenly priced. But I don't really rate the mid-range Class AB amps.

YMMV, as ever.

Matt

I preferred the Arcam AVR600 to the M6i, and I would also take a Sugden A21 SE or Electro ECI-3 over it as well......but saying that, I like the way it (or M3i) sounds and wouldn't really describe it as "woolly".....such is the nature of personal taste / perception.

I've found it is much easier to agree on what is a wonderful sound.......the difference becomes more marked in cheaper systems, where you have to decide where to make the compromises.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I've found it is much easier to agree on what is a wonderful sound.......the difference becomes more marked in cheaper systems, where you have to decide where to make the compromises.

I agree wholeheartedly, and it's the most difficult area of all. In "budget" systems, synergy is crucial. Cue davedotco ...

Matt

CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:

YMMV, as ever.

Matt

I preferred the Arcam AVR600 to the M6i, and I would also take a Sugden A21 SE or Electro ECI-3 over it as well......but saying that, I like the way it (or M3i) sounds and wouldn't really describe it as "woolly".....such is the nature of personal taste / perception.

But Cno, this was just prior to buying the Leema, I was comparing it with the Arcam A65+. Yes, the MF. from memory had 150 watts (or could be 200), but the MF sounded far too thick and lifeless.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
iceman16 said:
plastic penguin said:

PP,

Yup, it's about getting that right combo. Having heard naim with my old MAs it was nasty. Rig up some PMCs and that changes dramatically. Not just presentation, but tonal qualities too.

When did you get your Pmc's pp and how do they sound with the naim and Leema ?

damonster said:
plastic penguin said:
iceman16 said:
plastic penguin said:

PP,

When did you get your Pmc's pp and how do they sound with the naim and Leema ?

Had them about a week and a half. Not heard the TB2 before, so bought blind. It was a calculated risk, based on the fact I know the DB1is well, but needed a little extra bass as I'm used to floorstanders.

How do they sound? Fanbloomintastic. Don't have the bloated bass of the RS6s but they immensely tuneful.

From what I can remember - I haven't heard the DB1i for close on 18 months - they are a mirror image, just the TBs have a little more of pretty much everything. The thing I'm getting used to is the larger bass/midrange driver. Sounds gorgeous but it takes a little time.

What Naim amp did you hear?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
But Cno, this was just prior to buying the Leema, I was comparing it with the Arcam A65+. Yes, the MF. from memory had 150 watts (or could be 200), but the MF sounded far too thick and lifeless.

That means it wasn't the current model that you tried, and they are different.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Certainly wasn't the 'M' models. Have they really changed that much?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Certainly wasn't the 'M' models. Have they really changed that much?

IMO. They are better. "Much" is subjective......It also depends which model you had on demo.

KeithT

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I've not heard any MF stuff in a while (ex MF A1 owner) but you have to remember that Anthony Michaelson is a classical clarinetist (if I recall rightly) and he tends to set up his kit to suit that type of music rather than Motorhead! :rockout:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts