Musical Fidelity ams35i

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Iceman,

I will be amazed if you don't like the AMS35I... The reason I didn't keep the one I had on home demo was that it was in poor condition and I found it to get even hotter than my Sugden... which is quite hot enough thank you.

Soundswise, well it's everything that Cno has already described... no more to add really.

As for a CDP; don't know if you've read my previous posts, but I tried quite a few high end players before settling on the Electrocompaniet and it sounded stunning with the AMS too!

Look forward to your thoughts once it's up and running.

Mac

iceman16

Macspur said:
Hi Iceman,

I will be amazed if you don't like the AMS35I... The reason I didn't keep the one I had on home demo was that it was in poor condition and I found it to get even hotter than my Sugden... which is quite hot enough thank you.

Soundswise, well it's everything that Cno has already described... no more to add really.

As for a CDP; don't know if you've read my previous posts, but I tried quite a few high end players before settling on the Electrocompaniet and it sounded stunning with the AMS too!

Mac

Thanks Mac..

a source (cdp) with balance output cause I got loads of cds ..

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Cno,

If every thing would be in placed by monday..What can you say about getting a chord qbd76?

Hmmm.

I much prefer to talk positively about kit that I like, which might get people to try it out....being negative may prevent someone from demoing something, which given the very individual nature of taste, is not a good thing; but since you asked....

I don't like the Chord Dac, in fact I don't like the Chord amps either.....I find the sound very detailed, but far too up front and forward for my taste.... it is the very antithesis of a Valve amp. I find the music assulting my senses, rather than caressing them. Now saying all that, I haven't heard it with the MF amp, which might take the edge off.

My advice would be to get your head round how the 35i sounds in your system, to help you get the synergy right....ie. give yourself the time to put together a list of decent sources. FWIW. If I was going for a CDP, it would be the Pathos Digit.

This is nothing more than a personal perspective, but I hope it helps a little.

Cno

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
Cno,

If every thing would be in placed by monday..What can you say about getting a chord qbd76?

Hmmm.

I much prefer to talk positively about kit that I like, which might get people to try it out....being negative may prevent someone from demoing something, which given the very individual nature of taste, is not a good thing; but since you asked....

I don't like the Chord Dac, in fact I don't like the Chord amps either.....I find the sound very detailed, but far too up front and forward for my taste.... it is the very antithesis of a Valve amp. I find the music assulting my senses, rather than caressing them. Now saying all that, I haven't heard it with the MF amp, which might take the edge off.

My advice would be to get your head round how the 35i sounds in your system, to help you get the synergy right....ie. give yourself the time to put together a list of decent sources. FWIW. If I was going for a CDP, it would be the Pathos Digit.

This is nothing more than a personal perspective, but I hope it helps a little.

Cno

Cno..from the start, I know your on the calm,mellow,soft side of things..and maybe Im on the opposite side of you're world,cause I like a bit of "colour" not flat and not boring with regards to musical presentation:)

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Macspur said:
Hi Iceman,

Mac

Thanks Mac..

a source (cdp) with balance output cause I got loads of cds ..

Yes, the EMC1UP is fully balanced and for best results it is recommended used thus.

Mac

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Pathos Digit.

CD player with tubes!

Nice!

Thought of getting something similar a few years back.

Can't remember the exact model but it was £4000.00 and had a 10 year warranty.

Was reportedly amazing for the money so would likely still be good today.

Anyone remember the model? I can check my old WHF mags but it means going into the loft!

PS: never heard the AMS 35i but from what I've read want one!

Sadly can''t afford one!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Cno..from the start, I know your on the calm,mellow,soft side of things..and maybe Im on the opposite side of you're world,cause I like a bit of "colour" not flat and not boring with regards to musical presentation:)

If I had to choose, I would rather have calm/mellow than forward/bright.....but, you will find my system is far from this. Kef Refs couldn't ever be called mellow, and you are about to find out, neither is the 35i.

I have never come out of a Classical concert feeling that the sound was too bright and forward....imo.The kit I've put together is dramatic and exciting, but also realistic and natural.

It is a myth that in order to have an exciting system, it has to be aggressive......and this is where Class A excells. When you hear it for youself, please feel free to tell me that I'm talking b*ll*cks.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
I'm trying to justify (to me mostly) the sonic advantages of the Dac/streamer route. When I heard the Nain HDX (around £4995 approx) and compared it directly with my Arcam, the Naim displayed considerable sonic advantages. But was it £4500 better than my Arcam. To me NO.

So if I go Linn Sneaky. I literally have to start from scratch: The Linn costs around £900. Then add a iPad (£400-£500), NAS storage (£100-£200 for a decent one). Then I'll have to think about another router because my current one is too far away to make it practical. You're looking at a total cost of around £1600-£1700, given or take £100 or so, plus the weeks to get it absolutle right, and the frustration to me because of the lack of knowledge.

The Linn really needs hard wired, so distance is only an issue if you can't find a way to route the cable.

plastic penguin said:
Based on these ballpark figures could you honestly say it'll way out perform a £1700 dedicated CDP?

IMO. Yes....but you have to hear this and decide for yourself.

Couple of points:

-I use the 'ethernet over the mains' powerline cables for my Linn/Nas, and they work perfectly with no need for long cables, and no setup difficulties. Means you can have your router in one room, NAS in another, and the DS anywhere you like, with no difficulty/long cables.

-You dont have to have a NAS if your PC/Mac is on all the time, and that is where you store your music. Its still a good idea admittedly, as a backup if nothing else, but its not essential to start off with. Certainly if you were to get a DS on home demo, for eg., you wouldnt need to worry about having the music on a dedicated hard drive........

God what have you dont to me Cno, im almost as evangelical as you now lol

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

If I had to choose, I would rather have calm/mellow than forward/bright.....but, you will find my system is far from this. Kef Refs couldn't ever be called mellow, and you are about to find out, neither is the 35i.

I have never come out of a Classical concert feeling that the sound was too bright and forward....imo.The kit I've put together is dramatic and exciting, but also realistic and natural.

It is a myth that in order to have an exciting system, it has to be aggressive......and this is where Class A excells. When you hear it for youself, please feel free to tell me that I'm talking b*ll*cks.

Cno... (correct me if Im wrong) Is'nt it that in a live concert that cymbals percussions seems to be irritating at sometimes.?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Cno... (correct me if Im wrong) Is'nt it that in a live concert that cymbals percussions seems to be irritating at sometimes.?

Yes, but Cymbals shouldn't have extra hardness, harshness or brightness added for good measure. The same goes for Violins (which shouldn't sound like a "bag of cats") and Sopranos (who shouldn't sound like Banshees).

With sounds like these, it's very easy to tip them over the edge into unpleasant brightness. Another acid test is how realistically your system handles piano, which is notoriusly difficult to replicate accurately. All AB amps suffer Crossover distortion, which when removed (ie. as in Class A), can be a revelation.

iceman16 said:
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

This is further proof that regardless of price and quality there's no such thing as a perfect amp. If there is one I've yet to hear or read about it.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

Yes, but Cymbals shouldn't have extra hardness, harshness or brightness added for good measure. The same goes for Violins (which shouldn't sound like a "bag of cats") and Sopranos (who shouldn't sound like Banshees).

With sounds like these, it's very easy to tip them over the edge into unpleasant brightness. Another acid test is how realistically your system handles piano, which is notoriusly difficult to replicate accurately. All AB amps suffer Crossover distortion, which when removed (ie. as in Class A), can be a revelation.

[/quote

Cno..I would be undressed this Sunday..including TT..what is left is the poor chord dac gem:wall:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
This is further proof that regardless of price and quality there's no such thing as a perfect amp. If there is one I've yet to hear or read about it.

You've just spent a whole thread reading about one! ;) :shifty:

iceman16

Hi Cno

Yes..I can feel the summer in my living room. I've received the ams35i last thursday but I did'nt have much time to listen to it properly due to work commitments:mad:

Well I would describe the ams35i as huge,back breakin heavy. I will report back when I have a decent source cause what is left is my chord gem. BTW I just ordered a custom sized rack made from solid oak with spikes which looks same as the hifi rack podium but for less money.:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Hi Cno

Yes..I can feel the summer in my living room. I've received the ams35i last thursday but I did'nt have much time to listen to it properly due to work commitments:mad:

Well I would describe the ams35i as huge,back breakin heavy. I will report back when I have a decent source cause what is left is my chord gem. BTW I just ordered a custom sized rack made from solid oak with spikes which looks same as the hifi rack podium but for less money.:)

Can you at least divulge if things are looking (sounding) promising?

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
Hi Cno

Can you at least divulge if things are looking (sounding) promising?

Ok, setting up is quite straight forward and easy. I had my pc connected (spotify) via usb to chord gem and rca to ams. I just cant believe the power it produces being a 35w amp. I thought it has same output as the Plinius hautonga which is 200w! My initial comparison with Naim is that the ams sounded more open,very well balanced,warmer and more natural than the naim. The vocals are more spacious,airy and more analog overall. I played some tracks from spotify by Nils Lofgren(acoustic live) and it just sound unbelievable!The speakers seems to disappear and what is left is Nils and his band playing in front of me in a large concert hall. Well that's just with a chord gem. I can't really wait for a proper source which I think will improve everything. The only thing that does'nt make me happy is the remote control, its like a dumbbell in weight with sharp corners! I just think that's part of being solidly built:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Ok, setting up is quite straight forward and easy. I had my pc connected (spotify) via usb to chord gem and rca to ams. I just cant believe the power it produces being a 35w amp. I thought it has same output as the Plinius hautonga which is 200w! My initial comparison with Naim is that the ams sounded more open,very well balanced,warmer and more natural than the naim. The vocals are more spacious,airy and more analog overall. I played some tracks from spotify by Nils Lofgren(acoustic live) and it just sound unbelievable!The speakers seems to disappear and what is left is Nils and his band playing in front of me in a large concert hall. Well that's just with a chord gem. I can't really wait for a proper source which I think will improve everything. The only thing that does'nt make me happy is the remote control, its like a dumbbell in weight with sharp corners! I just think that's part of being solidly built:)

Thank you for putting me out of my misery (I worry about these things, especially where I feel responsible).....that all bodes very well. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but choose your source very carefully.

I don't use the remote, as I find I can use a Linn one (for the volume).....keep an eye out for a cheap plastic MF one on ebay.

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

Thank you for putting me out of my misery (I worry about these things, especially where I feel responsible).....that all bodes very well. I'm sure I don't need to tell you, but choose your source very carefully.

I don't use the remote, as I find I can use a Linn one (for the volume).....keep an eye out for a cheap plastic MF one on ebay.

Don't worry Cno..I think I have made one the best decisions in life:bounce:

One more thing I've noticed was that the ams can play loud music without losing its composure unlike my previous naims:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Don't worry Cno..I think I have made one the best decisions in life:bounce:

One more thing I've noticed was that the ams can play loud music without losing its composure unlike my previous naims:)

As you suspect, I think you've only scratched the surface.

To quote one of the most over used expressions of this Olympics.....it's unbelievable!

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:

I love that album "Nils Lofgrens Live acoustic", An true this is really the kind of album that does the AMS justice (if you like Massive atack also try "bleu lines" I was really impressed when I heard it. (actually most of my cd's or vinyls impress me when I hear theme now ;-)..)

About that remote I didn't find a cheap one yet :-(....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts