Musical Fidelity ams35i

iceman16

Hi all..esp to Cno..
I will be getting a used MF ams 35i next week without demoing.I know it sounds silly but I took the plunge based on reviews.My local dealer don't stock MF so I have no chance to demo.So what should I expect compare to Naims pre/power(202/250.2)?Thanks in advance :)

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The possibility of disappoint will be barely minimal to start with.

I have got the Pathos Inpol2 from a delaer with out auditioning and it is one of the best purchases I made (with or with out auditioning)

Power Consumption and heat dissipation could be certain things which might overwhelm till the time you get used to it.

And yes, it is a beast of machine so if possible get some help to put it in place (unless you are cool with such heavy weights). In my case, with Inpol2, I waited till my friend came after work as I could not fathom the idea of lifting an almost 40kgs block just by myself.

Soundwise, it will be treat especially after first few hours!!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
iceman16 said:
I'll be looking for a source aswell (cdp)..as i got lots of cd's...

Well I may as well beat Cno to it and suggest you rip the CDs to a NAS and get a Majik DS :)

Man after my own heart, buying an amp like that blind. I have done that several times now with various bits n bobs, and (so far) never been dissapointed. Not for thngs costing quite that much mind ;)

Given how everyone who hears the MF seems to fall in love, and then nothing else wll do, I cant see you being dissapointed. Supposed to go very well with the Focal's too.

Fingers crossed it gives you what you are looking for.

Mind you, bit mad getting an amp that acts as a room heater in this weather :p

iceman16

Thanks WT,PP and Gregvet for your inputs..This is my first purchase(as far as I can remember) without demoing.So Im not so sure with the outcome. The ams351 is class A amp with 35w/c and naim pre/power class d is 80 w/c so this would be quite challenging for me

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
iceman16 said:
The ams351 is class A amp with 35w/c and naim pre/power class d is 80 w/c so this would be quite challenging for me

No one who has demoed the AMS has passed comment that it is underpowered, so I really dont think you need to worry about that aspect. Dont forget that by the time you get to 2 Ohms (dunno if your speakers dip that low, but some do), the AMS is giving 140 watts anyway.

I doubt you will be dissapointed, but I am sure you will let us know if its not what you want.

I can always take it off your hands if you dont like it. Obviously it will be third hand now, which is when depreciation REALLY kicks in. £500 seems fair to me :rofl:

iceman16

gregvet said:
iceman16 said:
The ams351 is class A amp with 35w/c and naim pre/power class d is 80 w/c so this would be quite challenging for me

No one who has demoed the AMS has passed comment that it is underpowered, so I really dont think you need to worry about that aspect. Dont forget that by the time you get to 2 Ohms (dunno if your speakers dip that low, but some do), the AMS is giving 140 watts anyway.

I doubt you will be dissapointed, but I am sure you will let us know if its not what you want.

I can always take it off your hands if you dont like it. Obviously it will be third hand now, which is when depreciation REALLY kicks in. £500 seems fair to me :rofl:

That seems to be a fair deal if you did'nt post to this thread:rofl:

iceman16

plastic penguin said:
In addition to gregvet's comments, I did pose the question to Cno - a long time ago - and he has no probs driving his Kef reference speakers.

Thanks PP..But..Im not sure what listening level Cno is way up to..To be honest PP I like listening from moderate to loud but not too loud to disturb my neighbors. One thing I may expect to ams35i is lack of (prat) the naims do. :?

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
class A amps may seem underpowered when RMS rating is concerned but in reality they have more grunt then typical class AB amps. it's due to the fact that class A is very inefficient driving a sinewave (RMS power test).

in case of AMS 35i it's capable of nearly 300W power bursts into 8 Ohms. so I wouldn't call it underpowered. and if you realise that most of the time you need less than 1W of power to drive speakers peak power capability is what really counts, not RMS rating. in other words; music is never a steady state sinewave.

so, if you're looking at a class AB or class D amps equally capable of driving speakers as AMS 35i you should think of amps capable of some 250Wpc into 8 Ohms and double that for 4 Ohms rating.

trust me. you'll not find AMS underpowered.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :dance: :dance: :cheer: :cheer: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good Man - though you will need a new name, otherwise as you will melt...pehaps Fireman!

IMO You have just got the best sounding amp under £10k (and you'll soon be able to tell me if I'm right). It would not be really fair of me to compare it with your amp, as I don't get on with the sound of Naim. Suffice to say, that you should hear the most dynamic, detailed, natural, emotional and exciting sound, with seismic bass, that you have ever heard from your system.

This is the best amp that I've heard to date (other than a £30k VTL one) that I've heard matched with Focal.....imo they match each others strengths perfectly. You should find every genre of music handled well, as this is far from a "one trick pony".

DO NOT WORRY about the power on tap, as matched with your speakers, it can go uncomfortably loud (enough to damage your hearing long term). I also think it's even possible, that it will seem more powerful than the Naim. The joy though, is it's ability to play at moderate levels, and still sound exciting and punchy.

I'm sure Mac, Alex, Roby and Neuphonix will bear out what I'm saying.

As for source, look to Linn DS. I wouldn't go with a Linn CDP (sorry PP), as the cheapest DS (Sneaky) outperforms most (if not all) of the range.

I really hope you will end up as another happy signed up member of the very exclusive "35 Club", and am looking forward to your impressions. I think, my friend, you are about to cross the Rubicon.

Cno

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :dance: :dance: :cheer: :cheer: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good Man - though you will need a new name, otherwise as you will melt...pehaps Fireman!

IMO You have just got the best sounding amp under £10k (and you'll soon be able to tell me if I'm right). It would not be really fair of me to compare it with your amp, as I don't get on with the sound of Naim. Suffice to say, that you should hear the most dynamic, detailed, natural, emotional and exciting sound, with seismic bass, that you have ever heard from your system.

This is the best amp that I've heard to date (other than a £30k VTL one) that I've heard matched with Focal.....imo they match each others strengths perfectly. You should find every genre of music handled well, as this is far from a "one trick pony".

DO NOT WORRY about the power on tap, as matched with your speakers, it can go uncomfortably loud (enough to damage your hearing long term). I also think it's even possible, that it will seem more powerful than the Naim. The joy though, is it's ability to play at moderate levels, and still sound exciting and punchy.

I'm sure Mac, Alex, Roby and Neuphonix will bear out what I'm saying.

As for source, look to Linn DS. I wouldn't go with a Linn CDP (sorry PP), as the cheapest DS (Sneaky) outperforms most (if not all) of the range.

I really hope you will end up as another happy signed up member of the very exclusive "35 Club", and am looking forward to your impressions. I think, my friend, you are about to cross the Rubicon.

Cno

And if not...Cno..would you be able to give to send me your postcode? Cause I've invested some patriot missiles pointing towards you.:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
And if not...Cno..would you be able to give to send me your postcode? Cause I've invested some patriot missiles pointing towards you.:)
That seems fair. :grin:

I'm used to it, as Mrs Cno is permanently on DEFCON 1.

Seriously though, if you don't like this amp, you should find another hobby!! :rofl:

iceman16

CnoEvil said:
iceman16 said:
That seems fair. :grin: I'm used to it, as Mrs Cno is permanently on DEFCON 1. Seriously though, if you don't like this amp, you should find another hobby!! :rofl:

Im very confident that I'll work..but ~Im not a fan of Linn except the LP12!

iceman16

oldric_naubhoff said:
class A amps may seem underpowered when RMS rating is concerned but in reality they have more grunt then typical class AB amps. it's due to the fact that class A is very inefficient driving a sinewave (RMS power test).

in case of AMS 35i it's capable of nearly 300W power bursts into 8 Ohms. so I wouldn't call it underpowered. and if you realise that most of the time you need less than 1W of power to drive speakers peak power capability is what really counts, not RMS rating. in other words; music is never a steady state sinewave.

so, if you're looking at a class AB or class D amps equally capable of driving speakers as AMS 35i you should think of amps capable of some 250Wpc into 8 Ohms and double that for 4 Ohms rating.

trust me. you'll not find AMS underpowered.

Thanks mate..I'll post my findings as soon as it set n running..:)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
iceman16 said:
Im very confident that I'll work..but ~Im not a fan of Linn except the LP12!

Then you are a prime candidate for the DS.

I like you, don't get on with the current Linn sound, which leaves me cold (I think it's their amps); and like you have a fondness for the LP12 (I used to own one!).

They have done something very right with the DS, which is organic and musical sounding.....and imo, the best digital source at it's price ranges out there; in fact it's good enough to question the need for a TT.

Please don't take my word for it, or rule it out.....see if you can give it a listen, though if possible, preferably not in a Linn system.

No need to apologise. I only mentioned the Linn because of synergy with your MF. I'm quite tempted by it myself. Smart looking piece of kit.

Why do you have such dislike of CDPs? When I've heard Dacs/streamers, albeit limited experience, and compared it with price compatible CDPs there's been little between them. Certainly not enough to make me think the DAC/streamer was superior.

iceman16

plastic penguin said:
No need to apologise. I only mentioned the Linn because of synergy with your MF. I'm quite tempted by it myself. Smart looking piece of kit.

Why do you have such dislike of CDPs? When I've heard Dacs/streamers, albeit limited experience, and compared it with price compatible CDPs there's been little between them. Certainly not enough to make me think the DAC/streamer was superior.

[/quote

Well to be honest PP/Cno English is not my native language(sorry).I've been following every posts that could help and suggest others which I found interesting esp to both of you and many others..It's quite hard for me to express my thoughts and experience with regards to HiFi.. Ive just had my british citizenship couple of months ago.It may sound a bit silly to posts this in the middle of hifi forum but I think Im one of the rest of you who've just bitten by the HiFi Dracula.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

PP, I don't have a dislike of CDPs per se, as I've heard my fair share of good ones, and own a Linn Kaik/Numerik, which was a good highend CDP in it's day, and still holds its own.

No, the problem is one of "sound per pound." IMO. A humble Sneaky matches Linn's really expensive CDPs of a year or two ago....it's no wonder they stopped making them. It takes a £2k+ CDP to get close to its performance on 16 bit, and substantially more than that on 24 bit. When I give advice/opinion, I like to steer people in a direction where I feel that they should get the maximum performance for their given budget.

Linn claimed that the Majik DS was better than any CDP out there, now I think this is a bit of an exageration, but I have been there when it's seen off some much more expensive players (like a Mark Levinson - can't remeber the model).

I do apologize to all for banging on more than usual about my kit this evening.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

PP, I don't have a dislike of CDPs per se, as I've heard my fair share of good ones, and own a Linn Kaik/Numerik, which was a good highend CDP in it's day, and still holds its own.

No, the problem is one of "sound per pound." IMO. A humble Sneaky matches Linn's really expensive CDPs of a year or two ago....it's no wonder they stopped making them. It takes a £2k+ CDP to get close to its performance on 16 bit, and substantially more than that on 24 bit. When I give advice/opinion, I like to steer people in a direction where i feel that they should get the maximum performance for their given budget.

Linn claimed that the Majik DS was better than any CDP out there, now I think this is a bit of an exageration, but I have been there when it's seen off some much more expensive players (like a Mark Levinson - can't remeber the model).

I do apologize to all for banging on more than usual about my kit this evening.

Cno, I'm not trying to point score at all. I'm trying to justify (to me mostly) the sonic advantages of the Dac/streamer route. When I heard the Nain HDX (around £4995 approx) and compared it directly with my Arcam, the Naim displayed considerable sonic advantages. But was it £4500 better than my Arcam. To me NO.

So if I go Linn Sneaky. I literally have to start from scratch: The Linn costs around £900. Then add a iPad (£400-£500), NAS storage (£100-£200 for a decent one). Then I'll have to think about another router because my current one is too far away to make it practical. By the time you add cables and other bits and pieces you're looking at a total cost of around £1600-£1700, given or take £100 or so, plus the weeks to get it absolutle right, and the frustration to me because of the lack of knowledge.

Based on these ballpark figures could you honestly say it'll way out perform a £1700 dedicated CDP?

iceman16

I have heard some dacs like arcam,dacmagic an others below £1K, in fact i've demoed them at home but Im not impressed at all.Arcam rdac/kw sound forcefull and I can't live with it and some sounded "artificial" even they claim 24 bit/192?

iceman16 said:
I have heard some dacs like arcam,dacmagic an others below £1K, in fact i've demoed them at home but Im not impressed at all.Arcam rdac/kw sound forcefull and I can't live with it and some sounded "artificial" even they claim 24 bit/192?

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread. But I've heard some really expensive streaming stuff and they've failed to totally convince. When I heard the Apollo CDP, that is better value, based on my limited experience/knowledge.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Cno, I'm not trying to point score at all.

The thought never crossed my mind.

plastic penguin said:
I'm trying to justify (to me mostly) the sonic advantages of the Dac/streamer route. When I heard the Nain HDX (around £4995 approx) and compared it directly with my Arcam, the Naim displayed considerable sonic advantages. But was it £4500 better than my Arcam. To me NO.

So if I go Linn Sneaky. I literally have to start from scratch: The Linn costs around £900. Then add a iPad (£400-£500), NAS storage (£100-£200 for a decent one). Then I'll have to think about another router because my current one is too far away to make it practical. By the time you add cables and other bits and pieces you're looking at a total cost of around £1600-£1700, given or take £100 or so, plus the weeks to get it absolutle right, and the frustration to me because of the lack of knowledge.

The reason I keep promoting the DS, is because I think it's superior. It can be controlled by any laptop or PDA - Apple is only good value if you already own one.

The Linn really needs hard wired, so distance is only an issue if you can't find a way to route the cable.

I don't want you to buy one, only have it on your radar and not spend any money on a source, without listening to one.....after all, it's so subjective that you mightn't agree.

plastic penguin said:
Based on these ballpark figures could you honestly say it'll way out perform a £1700 dedicated CDP?

IMO. Yes....but you have to hear this and decide for yourself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts