Your opinion on YBA Genesis (Pre-amp/amp) or Musical Fidelity AMS 35i matched with Focal 836V

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody,

I need your advice. Here's my situation. Currently, I live in Iran. As you might guess, due to sanctions, choices are very limited here. British and American hifi brands are not widely available here (meaning no authorized dealer would be selling them, unless an individual goes to the other side of the pond and buys a unit and bring it back with him/herself). Anyway, Currently I own a pair of Focal 836V, and a set of Vincent SA-31 preamp & Vincent SP-331 amp. If you're not familiar with the Vincent brand, it is a German brand manufactured in China. For some reason, the amp act erratic, it has already blown one woofer of on the speakers. Anyway, I don' wanna bore you with the details of my dealings with this amp. I want to change my system, holding on to the Focals, which I really like.

My dealer guy is telling me to either go with the YBA Genesis preamp/amp as he claims they are a great match with the Focal 836V. Or My other option is to go with the Musical Fidelity AMS 35i. Now, I know I am comparing oranges to apples. But I have a spacious living room ( 7m wide X 10m long). My dealer is selling both systems around the same price ~ 7K USD.

Now, I want to ask you: Has any one of you had any experience with the YBA Genesis range? Should I plunge for this French but also made in China brand? Or Should I go for the MF AMS 35i? I know there is not a straightforward answer to these questions. But, in any case your opinion is really appreciated.

Many many thanks in advance!

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
YBA Genesis preamp/amp on paper looks much better option in terms of power but I never heard it and I don't know

how reliable this brand is . IMO the MF AMS 35i doesn't enough power to move the Focal 836 , the MF M6i is better option

but more expensive .

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
That is my problem also. There is no way for me to demo the two systems. I contacted the guy amd inquired about the M6i. Unfortunately it is not available here. I was in London a couple of months ago and visited the Sevenoaks store and demoed the Naim Nap 250/Nac 252 ... Wow what a sound! Anyway am getting off-topic, hopefully someone will have a more acute input about the YBA. And thank you for your remarks about the MF 35i not having the proper capacity to drive the Focals

Neuphonix

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
YBA Genesis preamp/amp on paper looks much better option in terms of power but I never heard it and I don't know

how reliable this brand is . IMO the MF AMS 35i doesn't enough power to move the Focal 836 , the MF M6i is better option

but more expensive .

No disrespect intended, but IMHO this is simply not correct.

Current is just as important as watts, perhaps more so. The AMS is true class A whereas the M6i is A/B and just doesn't have the same sound.

I had the m6-500i (bigger brother to the m6i) and took it back and swapped for the ams35i. The AMS has plenty of power and sounded soooooooooooo much better.

There is a dedicated thread on here about this amp which a long term member started, I'm certain that he will chime in soon affirming my sentiments.

He recently confirmed that the AMS range had been discontinued by MF, no longer appear on their website. So if there's one going you should grab it now or miss out.

I can't compare it to the YBA combo but I assure you that you will not be lacking for power and will look long and hard to find a better sounding amp than the 35i.

Good luck in your hunt.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Neuphonix said:
ISAC69 said:

but more expensive .

No disrespect intended, but IMHO this is simply not correct.

Current is just as important as watts, perhaps more so. The AMS is true class A whereas the M6i is A/B and just doesn't have the same sound.

I had the m6-500i (bigger brother to the m6i) and took it back and swapped for the ams35i. The AMS has plenty of power and sounded soooooooooooo much better.

There is a dedicated thread on here about this amp which a long term member started, I'm certain that he will chime in soon affirming my sentiments.

He recently confirmed that the AMS range had been discontinued by MF, no longer appear on their website. So if there's one going you should grab it now or miss out.

I can't compare it to the YBA combo but I assure you that you will not be lacking for power and will look long and hard to find a better sounding amp than the 35i.

Good luck in your hunt.

You are correct sorry my mistake The OP talked about the MF AMS 35i pure class A and I by mistake talked about the MF 35i .

The MF AMS 35i is a good choice here .

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I understand that the AMS 35 as a class A amp delivers a much more dynamic and detailed sonic presentation, however am I correct to understand that your are telling me this amp at 35 watts can drive the focals at both end of the volume band with the same potency that a 150 watt is capable of?

iceman16

The MF AMS 35i will drive the Focal 836v nicely unless you play music with disco like level in that room.

MFAMS35i_zps06eaaae0.jpg

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The AMS35i is a stunning amp, which works very well with Focal, and thrives on speakers with high sensitivity and low impedance (eg. Focal).

Here is a thread that may be of interest: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/musical-fidelity-ams35i

You better be quick as they have now been discontinued (as has been stated) and IMO will become a classic for those in the know.

I can't talk about the YBA as I haven't heard it.

Let us know how you go.

Cno

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
The AMS35i is a stunning amp, which works very well with Focal, and thrives on speakers with high sensitivity and low impedance (eg. Focal).

Here is a thread that may be of interest: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/musical-fidelity-ams35i

You better be quick as they have now been discontinued (as has been stated) and IMO will become a classic for those in the know.

I can't talk about the YBA as I haven't heard it.

Let us know how you go.

Cno

Thank you Cno! That thread was really helpful. How much would this amp go for right now brand new? I just want to know that I am getting a good deal, as he is telling me the exact price is GBP 3700.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Brand new is about GBP 6000 . Please note that this amp is much better than your speakers they are in entirely different league so this amp

will move your speakers in their full potential :grin:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
aahonari said:
Thank you Cno! That thread was really helpful. How much would this amp go for right now brand new? I just want to know that I am getting a good deal, as he is telling me the exact price is GBP 3700.

That is a great price, even for ex-dem (RRP £6k).

IMO. There is nothing you can get anywhere near that price, that will sound as good.....but give it a listen if you can.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
IMO. There is nothing you can get anywhere near that price, that will sound as good.....but give it a listen if you can.

... except perhaps a Devialet 120. :twisted:

But I agree about the AMS 35i. I had one on demo for a couple of weeks. A fantastic sounding amp.

You need to be aware that it runs extremely hot. Do you have air conditioning?

Matt

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

But I agree about the AMS 35i. I had one on demo for a couple of weeks. A fantastic sounding amp.

Matt

If heat and power consumption are an issue; and a good DAC is needed, then I suspect it's hard to argue against the Devialet......though I don't know about the match with Focal, which (for me anyway), have always sounded better with Class A / Valves.

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
aahonari said:

That is a great price, even for ex-dem (RRP £6k).

Cno, you and ISAC69 are really rooting for this amp and I think I will commit to getting this amp (considering the fact I'm a bit wary of these Chinese made amps having owned one [Vincent] and carrying the same sentiment over to YBA products). As for the price I can telll you it is not a fluke. The dealer brought this amp about 2 years ago and given the exchange rate of then the local retail price was GBP 7000. Currently, given the new hugely depreciated local currency against GBP and the dealer holding on to the same local asking price of 2 years ago, it costs 3700. Basically, in my local currency the price has remained the same, but in British Pound it has been cut by nearly half. Considering the amp has been discontinued there is no replacement cost in play, thus no economical reason for him to adjust the price aside from greed :) ... and thankfully that is not the case here.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
aahonari said:
Cno, you and ISAC69 are really rooting for this amp and I think I will commit to getting this amp (considering the fact I'm a bit wary of these Chinese made amps having owned one [Vincent] and carrying the same sentiment over to YBA products). As for the price I can telll you it is not a fluke. The dealer brought this amp about 2 years ago and given the exchange rate of then the local retail price was GBP 7000. Currently, given the new hugely depreciated local currency against GBP and the dealer holding on to the same local asking price of 2 years ago, it costs 3700. Basically, in my local currency the price has remained the same, but in British Pound it has been cut by nearly half. Considering the amp has been discontinued there is no replacement cost in play, thus no economical reason for him to adjust the price aside from greed :) ... and thankfully that is not the case here.

Let us know what you think once you've joined the "35 Club". Here is my ongoing thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-musical-fidelity-ams-35i-thread

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matt49 said:
CnoEvil said:

Matt

If heat and power consumption are an issue; and a good DAC is needed, then I suspect it's hard to argue against the Devialet......though I don't know about the match with Focal, which (for me anyway), have always sounded better with Class A / Valves.

Accuphase is supposed to be a great match with Focal... pretty rare second hand in the UK, but don't know about your part of the World, certainly worth asking the dealer.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

aahonari

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
aahonari said:

Let us know what you think once you've joined the "35 Club". Here is my ongoing thread: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/the-musical-fidelity-ams-35i-thread

Cno, I am now a proud owner of an AMS 35i. It should arrive tomorrow! Exciting times! :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts